MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Bruschetta

I want to can some bruschetta. The recipe calls for 1 cup of Dry White Wine and 1 cup of White Wine Vinegar.

I went Googling and I can't tell what the difference between the two are. I've never cooked or canned with either one. I learned Pinot would be the best for the white wine but when I searched for the white wine vinegar...white wine popped up. But 2 cups of wine seems like a lot. And I figured I need the vinegar in the white wine vinegar. There is also 2Tab. of Balsamic Vinegar. Wonder if I could substitute Kraft balsamic salad dressing for that? It's only 2 Tab.

I'm obviously out of my element here. Any ideas? :shrug:

I would use the recipe as given. Wine and vinegar are related but are not interchangeable. I would avoid the Kraft substitution as well, and go for the balsamic vinegar. If you don't have any balsamic, you could substitute apple cider vinegar but it would change the flavor.

Thanks Andrea. I can buy a little bottle of Balsamic Vinegar. I looked it up and they have really small bottles in grocery stores. And I can buy a bottle of white wine. But I'm still stumped on the white wine vinegar. Does one get it in the grocery store like the other stuff? I read where it's wine that has turned to vinegar unlike cider vinegar. Sheeeh, hope I don't have to order it from Amazon. I'll check out my grocery store tomorrow.

If you can't find white wine vinegar, I would feel confident substituting red wine vinegar, although they are sold side by side at most grocery. I made a batch of brushetta last night. Thanks for the inspiration! It's perfect for hot summer evenings and makes a great salad dressing!

Thanks Suncat. I didn't get to the store today because it's raining. But, I did look at my grocery store on line and it says they carry white wine vinegar. Gees, all of this trouble for a couple of pints of sauce. By the time I find all of the ingredients the tomatoes will all be gone. :rolleyes:

I was introduced to eating french bread dipped in olive oil and vinegar.. so I've gotten all kinds of vinegar in those little bottles to try.. red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, rice vinegar, red balsamic vinegar, white balsamic vinegar (this is really good).. but I keep good ol' cider vinegar on hand as a basic vinegar for cleaning or laundry or making sweet and sour sauce etc.

I really like the flavor of red wine in my spaghetti sauce.. and discovered that even if I don't have wine on hand.. a smaller amount of the red wine vinegar will give a lot of the same flavor.

I made bruschetta yesterday. Turned out very good. I used the recipe out of The Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. Ended up doubling the liquid brine portion because it was did not look like it would be enough and I was right. Had about a half pint of brine left over. I'm going to toss it with some chopped cucumbers for my husband since he won't eat tomatoes.

Hi Daelith. :hi: And WELCOME!

I got the recipe from a different book but it is exactly the same as from the Ball Blue Book. I'm glad it tastes good especially since I had to search all over for the ingredients. This is uncharted territory for me. I thought it sounded good for dipping garlic bread with spaghetti. Or maybe putting it on a piece of Texas toast with a slice of swiss cheese and grilling or microwaving it. Or Panini-ing it.

I've been dumping it on my salads and using it as dressing! YUMMY! I use a fresh recipe though. I'll look up the Ball recipe, that might be a fun thing to have on hand during the winter months.

Thanks everyone.

I had a few bits of chopped tomato left over and I put some on my garlic toast that I was serving up with our spaghetti dinner Sunday night. Drizzled the left over brine over it and it was yummy.