MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hot Dogs

Kelly

Don’t know if this can be done or not. Never tried it myself. Here's a couple of recipes I found tho.

Quote:
There has been much discussion on the internet regarding whether or not it is possible or even recommended to can hot dogs. They are usually very cheap and available, and it makes sense to try to keep some for hard times or even for inconvenient times such as snow storms and power failures. You may not eat hotdogs because of their nitrate and nitrite content. I understand. However, for me and my family, they beat eating snowballs and I decided to find a way to preserve them.

There are two methods that I have found to be satisfactory. The first is the basic recipe, the second one just a variation.

Hot dogs vary widely in size and weight, so I cannot tell you how many to buy and how many will fill a quart. I purchased small, thin hotdogs and used 10 of them per quart jar.

You must pressure can the hot dogs! Do not attempt to water bath these. You will risk making your family very sick!

 First, you heat the water in your pressure canner, boil your lids and rings and boil your jars.

 Next, you have to make or purchase a sauce. I made a sauce out of home canned tomatoes and added spices and herbs and a bit of sugar til I liked the taste. I purchased BBQ sauce and diluted it with a bit of beef broth. This last concoction was the easiest. You have to have quite a bit of sauce, it takes about 2 cups of sauce for each quart jar.

 Finally, you heat your sauce to a boil and cut up the hotdogs in the sauce. Cut them up into 1 1/2 - 2 inch pieces. This is what keeps them from bursting. Bring this to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.

Loosely pack the hot dog pieces in the hot jars up to the shoulder. Pour in sauce to within 1 inch of the neck. Clean off the neck and rim of the jar with a clean damp cloth. Place the hot lids and rings on the jars and place them in the boiling water in the pressure canner as you fill them.

Process the jars for 90 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure.

Another method is to use canned pork and beans in place of the sauce. Home made beanie weinies!

You could can hot dogs that are cut up like these in broth instead of a sauce. I haven't tried that so I don't know what they would taste like.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Here's a recipe for canned franks.

Be careful when canning meats because of botulism.

Canned Franks

4 cups vinegar

4 cups water

2 tablespoons salt

Mix ingredients and bring to a boil.

Pack pre-cooked franks into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Fill jars 1/2-inch from top with the boiling vinegar solution. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims. Adjust lids and process.

Process in a Dial Gauge Pressure Canner at 11 pounds pressure or in a Weighted Gauge Pressure Canner at 10 pounds pressure:

Pints or Quarts = 75 minutes

Because of the lack of nutritional value and the abundance of preservatives and food coloring, I wouldn't bother canning hot dogs. If you want to can meat, you can get some good deals on the 'cheap' cuts of beef, pork, or chicken. If you want something along the lines of canned hot dogs, why not just buy Spam or Vienna sausages when they are on sale?

You can buy even a good beef hot dog on sale for cheaper than spam.

I've never heard of anyone doing it, but could you maybe dry them and make hot dog jerky? Wouldn't surprise me if that Mountain House place Broadsword talks about has freeze-dried ones...

Archived