MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Chicken Soup - Pressure Canned

Darlene

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The whole product is supposed to be hot, even the veggies. If you check the USDA guides for canning soup it is hot packed, not raw packed. It does make a difference in the safety of a food. When it says hot pack, it means all ingredients packed hot, not just the broth. If the veggies are packed raw, then it is a raw pack.

It doesn't matter what kind of pot you use for the preparing of the soup to can, is that what you mean Denim?

I have often used my water bath pot as it is the largest pot I have. I tell you what I got that has come is sooooo handy with my xl family, is this GE Roaster... boy can it hold a large capacity. Darlene had hers full of Apple Butter when we were at her house.

http://www.gehousewares.com/Browse_Product...x?category_id=9

• 3 months later...

I was naughty at Wal-Mart toda, spent enough money to shock my usual budgeting mindset, but finally got a pressure canner! It's Presto with what I think is a weighted gauge. I have a pressure cooker very similar I'm used to using for cooking, so I thought this would work for me. It has an adjustable regulator, for 5, 10, or 15 lbs., but no dial gauge.

I have the jars, the lids, a blue ball book, and the ingredients for some chicken soup! I'm wondering if I should start with something easier than soup or just dive in? I would like to give my parents, who will be heading right into flu territory next week, a few jars to enjoy as well.

I make mine very similarly to the Nana's Kick Azz Chicken Soup, with the addition of a half bunch of parsley, parsnips, and a sweet potato. Will there be any differences I need to be aware of when adding these ingredients?

I'm home all day tomorrow and I really must can SOMETHING when I have a pretty new canner sitting in my living room!

Way to go, Mandomom ! A new pressure canner. How nice for you. Once you can something, report back to us. Good luck to you !

If it is a weighted gauge, you won't have a dial, that looks sort of like a clock. It will have weight set that you use the correct weight for the food you are canning and also for your altitude. You must have gotten the 16 quart size if it has the weights. If you had a dial gauge, you would need to get the gauge tested before use since the dials can be off by as much as 4 or 5 lb. right out of the box.

I suggest following the instructions for canning soup from the USDA. I will send you the link.

Basically, you fill the jars half full of the solids, the other half of the jar with broth.

Just do not add any noodles, rice, barley, etc. No dairy of any kind, either.

You will see the warning on the link.

Be sure all ingredients are hot, not raw packed. Soup must be hot packed as it goes into the jars. Part of the safety of the canning of the soup.

I would suggest doing a trial run with just water first. Be sure you vent the canner a full 10 min. before the weight goes on. Then, after your processing time is up, let the pressure drop naturally. Do not remove the weight or run under water to cool it off.

Once the pressure is gone, then remove the weight, and set the timer for another 10 min. before you open the canner and remove the jars. All these steps are part of the safety of the food.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/soups.html

Good for you! I don't know which I like better, my pressure canner or clothesline!

I have to tell you, I started with green beans. The process time was only 20 minutes and it gave me a good idea of how the canner works - I really wanted to start with chicken noodle soup but felt i wasn't to that point yet. However, if you follow violet's advice and the directions for chicken noodle soup you should be fine!

I would do the trial run with no food in it as your instruction booklet suggests.

• 1 year later...

Oh, I'm so so glad that I came across this thread!!!

This is going to boggle your mind but I co-oped with some Amish friends of mine and butchered 50 meat chickens (cornish crosses) Well, I cooked the first one and after roasting it I realized that I didn't get all the gizzard out and it was very gross. The second one I did, I thawed first and double checked the neck.... NO food in the crop! So I put it in the crockpot all day but the family was still grossed out from the last one so they

hold on..

this is hard for me to say....

They wouldn't eat it. :hangs head in shame:

SO... I have 48 whole amish hens in my freezer waiting to do something with. Guess who's making a LOT OF SOUP!

I don't know why I didn't think of it! I always put up 5 or 6 quarts of soup when I can chicken breasts. While I'm deboneing the breasts I just throw all the bones in a pot along with anything that I've saved for broth in the freezer. Carrot peels,, tomato pieces,,, butts of celery,, onion peels... I kid you not. Makes the best broth ever and there's NO EXPENSE!

So why can't I make some awesome soup from my hens! At least that's something everyone will eat and they don't have to know about the process! LOL

Oh, I'm so so glad that I came across this thread!!!

This is going to boggle your mind but I co-oped with some Amish friends of mine and butchered 50 meat chickens (cornish crosses) Well, I cooked the first one and after roasting it I realized that I didn't get all the gizzard out and it was very gross. The second one I did, I thawed first and double checked the neck.... NO food in the crop! So I put it in the crockpot all day but the family was still grossed out from the last one so they

hold on..

this is hard for me to say....

They wouldn't eat it. :hangs head in shame:

SO... I have 48 whole amish hens in my freezer waiting to do something with. Guess who's making a LOT OF SOUP!

I don't know why I didn't think of it! I always put up 5 or 6 quarts of soup when I can chicken breasts. While I'm deboneing the breasts I just throw all the bones in a pot along with anything that I've saved for broth in the freezer. Carrot peels,, tomato pieces,,, butts of celery,, onion peels... I kid you not. Makes the best broth ever and there's NO EXPENSE!

So why can't I make some awesome soup from my hens! At least that's something everyone will eat and they don't have to know about the process! LOL

Archived