MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Vinegared Red Onions

From the Ball Book:

Vinegared Red Onions (yield: 6 half-pints)

3 pounds red onions

4 cups red wine vinegar

1 clove garlic

Peal onions. slice onions 1/4-inch thick; separate slices into rings. Bring vinegar and garlic to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add onion rings to vinegar. Simmer, covered 5 minutes. Discard garlic (I ate mine!) Pack hot onions into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.

They turned out pretty good! I did cheat and boiled a few extra garlic cloves in the vinegar. We love garlic! I have a lot of red onions from the garden and since they don't keep well, I tried this recipe. We love red onions on our green salads and with the vinegar on the onions, you just need to add a splash of olive oil and you've got a ready made dressing! I won't fill the cabinet wih these but I'll probably make at least one more batch. They'll come in handy when I'm out of fresh reds.

• 1 year later...

I used those little 8 oz. jars and just used onions and vinegar. For some reason I likes the white onions better than the red ones. I can't remember why now though. I think it had to do with the color. The red ones bled and looked dark but the white ones were prettier. :rolleyes:

Canned 16 half pints of white onions today, just used pickling salt & hot water. They look absolutely beautiful. Also dehydrated 15 trays into 4 qts., and have another 7 trays going now. I've got a feeling Mtn.Man and I both have a funny smell about us :24: