MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WB Canning a freezer jam recipe

Hoping someone here can help me.

I saw this recipe in the Better Homes Canning magazine for Orange Blueberry Freezer jam, but I was wondering if I need to do anything different to water bath it. I don't want to freeze it.

Add some lemon juice for starters? Or is the orange juice enough?

Found the same recipe at Taste of Home site - http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/orange-blueberry-freezer-jam

Thank you

My understanding is that fruit regardless of the sugar can be waterbath canned.. the lemon juice added to jams and jellies is for the pectin to gel the mixture, not for canning.

My main question here would be how much the cooking of canning the jam would change the jam.

Also, have you tried pomonapectin.com for pectin? Because of the type of pectin the recipes are much more varied than in the grocery store pectin.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you!

How does it taste? Does the orange give the blueberry a bit of tang? I tend to find blueberry too sweet by itself.

It's yummy. You can definitely taste the orange in it as well as the sweetness of the amaretto. Blueberries are not overpowering.

I've been eating on store bought bread like Oroweat Oatnut, but I hope to get to try some on my homemade sour dough this weekend.