MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

THOUGHTS FOR TODAY

Beef goes sky high after the big cattle kill in Wyoming. Pork goes sky high because of re-calls etc. Chicken goes sky high because of Avian flu. Eggs go sky high because of no chickens. They say none of our fish is really safe any more. They tell us our vegetables are not what they're supposed to be, and that a "major" seed company is buying up all the seeds so they can control it. Everything going up, up, up or away, away, away and there's not much we can do except keep on keeping on...and doing what we can. Rant over...

Took a ride in Miss B to the Roost! Picked up a dozen eggs from the librarian friend...$2 a dozen and they're brown, tan and light blue :-) She's just started selling her eggs since she purchased some additional hens awhile back. Cheaper than the store and we KNOW these girls are happy layers :-) She's also got some blackberry starts for us and will be getting some grape starts for us too. We'll be getting our eggs from her for the time being since we go to that town quite often. I'll just call her a day or so ahead and tell her what I'd like to have. She's also planning to get some goats and I'm sure we'll have some fresh goat milk etc. when she does. The library/she is having a DIY cheese making demo (simple recipe) the 24th of this month. We plan to attend. Stopped at a parts store so MrWE2 could check on shocks for Miss B, and boy is it going to cost a bundle! $100 each for the front and haven't been able to find the back ones yet. Front ones have to be able to carry 5000# and the back ones have to be able to carry 7600#. Guess we'll take our time on that project :-(

• 3 months later...

WOW...can't believe how long it's been since I've posted here! Lots of stuff has gone on and lots of canning done and mostly put away. Moved most of the extended pantry but still have at least three more pickup truck loads. Told MrWE2 "if shtf happens tonight, what do we want at the Homestead?" That was our governing direction. Still have my loveseat, coffee table and end tables there to move as well as camp cots, composting toilet, another HD shelving unit (he put a back on it so he has to dismantle it to move it), the extra microwave, coffee pot, small frig, two bookcases and lots of odds and ends. The main thing though is that if something did pop up tonight, we're ok. We can walk to the Homestead if we have to. We still have to put a new steel clad door on the Homestead's back kitchen door since it exits to the laundry room and there's another exit there. Son lives upstairs and that back door to the laundry/enclosed porch is his entry and in shtf we'd have to deal with him I'm sure. He's diabetic, ptsd and a host of other "issues" so he'd not be our "friend". Probably have to leave him some rice outside the door if he doesn't move beforehand. We both know in a shtf he's history because he doesn't store anything and would certainly run out of insulin and his drugs (and he's got a mess of them believe me! PTSD, severe & permanent back injury, obesity, blood pressure...you name it, he's probably got drugs for it, for awhile. We're back to dismantling the old RV that's been sitting in the drive at the Roost for 8 years. Since we've decided to rent it out (for the income) once it's finished, we need it gone. We'll sell the parts that MrWE2 doesn't plan to use to build the tiny house. It's something that he's wanted to do for a long time and we have the big car haul trailer...even got some little trees growing up inside it to prove how long it's been sitting :-( Another reason to move to the Homestead instead of buying land and starting over! Building the tiny house and selling it should be fairly profitable even if he does use some "pre-owned" items (sink, water heater, roof vents, refrigerator, furnace, overhead a/c etc.) in it. We're hoping to spend some time camping with some friends towards the end of this month. The Katy Trail adventure is still on hold. MrWE2 got the frig working in Miss B and we bought the new water pump for the camper part but he still needs to put it in. Then we have to address the leak that's coming in from under the passenger side vent and onto the floorboard. I don't like sitting there with wet feet :-( It may just be that the Lord has other plans for us at this time and the Katy Trail isn't going to go anywhere...it's just when we can get to it. We're SUPPOSED to be retired! I keep reminding myself of that but I think we work as hard as anybody :-) We grin and tell each other (and others) "we work hard but we also play hard!" My hairdresser/friend and her husband who are indeed friends, told us they were really trying to cut back on eating out and spending so much money on expfenses. She knew we did a lot of our own food preparation so she asked. We had quite a discussion which ended up with them making their own "day trip" to the various mennonite stores and coming back very satisfied with their haul! They loved the idea of packing a picnic basket and spending the day buying foods that they can prepare and store right in their own pantry. Even gave her my recipe for instant pudding since they've been paying $$ for sugarfree jello. Homemade bread came up (of course) so she's got a good recipe for some she can make quite easily. They love the sourdough taste but just don't want to mess with starter etc., so she'll be able to get a bit of that taste with the "pot bread" recipe, adding some vinegar (and extra gluten if she wants) and letting it sit covered overnight. We're still amazed that we're eating homemade bread and homemade foods and still losing weight! We've both managed to shed 20+ pounds. My clothes are looking a bit "loose" but I don't want to have to buy all new clothing. I've set back A LOT of extra clothing (as well as his) for emergencies when we might not be able to replace clothing etc. The big items that we really lack in putting back is denim, flannel, buttons, zippers, vinyl, leather (for shoe soles), and yarns. We've decided to start setting back more canned veggies for Abby-girl. The time may come when she'd need them to supplement oats and/or rice etc. During summer gardening season she's our "bandit" who can strip off a small pink tomato quicker than you can blink, or grab every ripe berry she can see from our blackberry or rasberry bushes! We really have to watch her with the corn. She loves it...but will also eat the cob and then later...up it comes :-( Got my hair cut back off a bit more and it's really alot easier to keep up and no tangling around my neck at night. Guess I've spent enough time here for today, so saying hello to all my MrsS friends!

Great read. I always enjoy reading about what other people are doing. You 2 are the hardest working-est retired couple. Actually that's great. Going at your own pace, when you want and doing what you want. Beats sitting in a rocking chair staring at a TV the rest of your life. Growing older does have its perks. Lots of freedom. It sounds like you 2 have planned well to be able to enjoy the now.

We all will have to live with the consequences of the choices we make including our aging parents and our children. Would be nice to have storybook endings but that isn't real life. Some family members are just plain mean, spiteful and disrespectful. You love them but... I understand that even though I'm not in that situation. Son is a momma's boy (in a good way) and my mother died at 38 yrs. My father is hundreds of miles away and we didn't meet until I was in my late 30's. Plus I'm an only child. But, I have lots of extended family and I've seen. Oh have I seen. Amazing what our own parents and children can do to us, the pain and damage they can cause. Well, I guess 'what don't kill us makes us stronger' and for that I'm thankful. Thankful I'm not the needy type. Oops, didn't mean to get preachy. No one likes to be preached at either.

Shame on that little hooligan Abby. Little sneak thief. NO MORE CORN COBS FOR YOU! Corn only. Cobs kill many dogs every year. They get caught in the intestines and it can lead to surgery...or worse.

I was going to mow today but it's raining. Guess I'll go grocery shopping instead. I need quite a bit of fridge items. Bread, milk, eggs and fruit kind of stuff. Then I need to make a list of canning supplies (food) that I want to get laid in. You always inspire me to get busy canning. I ate so much of it last year that I'm running low. Not a good feeling.

I also need to start thinking about winter. I know it's right around the corner. I need to get some new blankets washed. I want to get a couple more of those 'space bags' to vacuum them in. I'm going to use the old blankets as long as I can and keep the newer ones set aside. I got a great sale on them when a few of our Super K-Marts went out of business. Wish they made those space bags a little bit smaller. I did buy a couple of the vacuum seal coat bags. I have some winter coats that I seldom use and the bags are nice for storage. Shrinks them down to save space plus keeps them clean. The bags cost more than I really wanted to pay but it's a one time buy and it's cheaper than a dry cleaning bill every year for a couple of dress coats. Plus I'm saving space. I usually get them at Bed Bath and Beyond when I have a coupon and I got a 20% off one in the mail last week. I also bought some nice woven type throws through the mail. Boy do they stink! They came in a nice zipper bag that I thought would be good for storage. I'm sure hoping it's the bags that smell and they wash up nice. Kind of a chemical smell. Not acceptable for anything.

I also need to get my basement cleaned out...still. I hate to go down there. It's so dark and dank and lonely feeling. It needs cleaned out so I can get it water proofed. I really don't want service people down there as is. Plus my 'supplies' are in full sight. Can't have that. And...it's down right shameful. Suppose I need to crank up some music, cover up the windows, put on my Nikes and JUST DO IT.

• 1 month later...

Such a lovely day we couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a motorcycle ride. We won't have too many more this year before we have to winterize it, along with the RV's. We're selling the Class B. Just don't use it like we thought we would and I really would prefer to have a small van or suv so it's up for sale. Praying it will sell quickly (or we can trade for a van or suv of equivalent value) so we can get on with biz :-) I really miss being able to just jump in my van and go see a girl friend etc., but with Miss B, it's just too big for running around town. Got a lot of the wood chips down on the gardening area but still need to remove the raised bed areas & rake them down and prepare that area for the chips. We still have a lot of chips left. Joined some friends last night at our local Moose Lodge and really had a great time. They're our camping buds also, and love to dance as much as we do :-) Put on a big crock pot of soup before we left on the motorcycle so we had supper ready when we got home. Still got some left over so I'll jar it up & put it in the freezer when it's cool enough. Took a drive to one of our favorite state parks and saw several beautiful deer, and this one stopped for me to take some pics! Hunting season will begin in a couple of weeks (I think?) and when it does, they really gather in the "safe" spots...RV parks etc. So if you've never driven through these places, you'll enjoy it...take your camera! Drive slowly and park in a spot ... just about dusk ... and I'm betting you'll see some too!

post-9087-0-75345800-1446431518_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-28711200-1446431533_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-08550400-1446431550_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-96280400-1446431564_thumb.jpg

Lovely deer. They are abundant in my yard. They are so smart now. I was driving today and one was running across someone's lawn and stopped at the curb and looked right at me. I stopped the Jeep and looked at it. I sort of threw my hands up as if to say, "Well, go ahead". And it did.

They shoot them here every few years. Then the animal rights people protest so they stop for a few more years. When they do shoot them they donate the meat to the shelters and mission. It's really more cruel to let them continue to populate because there are so many of them and their food supply is being taxed and they risk starving. They rely on peoples gardens and shrubs now. Sigh. They have tried dropping birth control for them to eat but other animals eat it.

They really are lovely though and I never get tired of watching them.

• 2 months later...

Yeah she was but the last I heard she was able to use it a little bit. Maybe with her phone? Or maybe for Facebook? I don't do Facebook so I'm not sure. Just hope she is okay. I remember she was also having issues with her stove/oven and hot water. :-(

Thoughts for today?

Carlene (the dog lady) just mentioned, "i learn somethign new every day.....like--- having weak knees during a mamogram is not a happy situation." She is 78...I think.

I also learned, by myself, that if you eat chia seeds sprinkled in a salad be sure to check your teeth before heading out the door. :happy0203:

Thoughts for today?

Carlene (the dog lady) just mentioned, "i learn somethign new every day.....like--- having weak knees during a mamogram is not a happy situation." She is 78...I think.

I also learned, by myself, that if you eat chia seeds sprinkled in a salad be sure to check your teeth before heading out the door. :happy0203:

Or poppy seed dressing or other foods with celery seeds :thumbs:

Both of MrWE2 and myself still have our minds awhirl. We stopped in at our local Sav-A-Lot and they had chicken drumsticks on sale, packages of 10 for 39 cents a pound ie: $1.25 a package. We left two packages :-) Had 3 pound packages of hamburger with $4 off each package...ended up being 79 cents a pound. We left a few :-) Guess I'll be busy this week while MrWE2 returns to work. Got new people moving into the house next to us. Hope they're peaceful family members of the young man who died. They're not moving either of the two cars, so perhaps they are family. The temp today was 48 with some sunshine. Was nice to get out for a bit yesterday and today. Visited two of our favorite Mennonite stores and re-stocked some items we've used up. It's just so nice to not have to get out to go shopping unless we want to and it's really nice to find biggy sales!

• 1 year later...

Can't believe I haven't been here for nearly a year!  So many other threads to enjoy! LOL  Not to mention the goings on in our world.  We try to pretty much "keep our heads down and keep on trucking" otherwise a person could be tempted to just scream "what are these people thinking...are they all insame!?"  Enough... going to find other threads to read! LOL

• Like 1