MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Butter in 20 minutes

Anyone ever tried something like this?

How To Make Butter (and Buttermilk)

I am about to reveal to you an ANCIENT butter making secret, to make butter it requires, shaking, shaking, shaking, MORE shaking, lots of shaking, but the end result is FANTASTIC. Homemade butter can be fun to make (if you are a butter enthusiast).And clean-up is very easy, you only need a few things-

Materials:

Whipping cream (Can be normal or heavy whipping cream)

1 Jar

1 measuring device (not necassarily needed)

1 Fresh strong arms,able to withstand alot of shaking

the whole process takes about... 10-20 minutes, the majority of the time is shaking. The rest is prep time and finish.

Adding Ingredients

First you will want to measure out how much butter you really want to make. At the beginning of the recipe I measured about 1 cup of heavy cream, in the end this recipe yielded about half a cup of butter, (the other half cup didnt go missing, just "turned into" Buttermilk)

After youve measured out the desired amount of cream, simply pour it into the jar, there are no other required ingredients (and i usually put flavoring for the butter in at the end)

VERY VERY CAREFULLY put the cap on the jar. phew glad thats over.

then begin to shake,it will take awhile to shake this into butter but it is well worth it in the end.

the cream will start to feel thicker as you shake it, making it MUCH harder to shake around, the easiest shaking method is to take the jar by the "neck" or the closest part to the lid, and shake downwards in a stabbing motion back and forth. Eventually the jar seems easier, and easier to shake, open the jar and peek inside, see butter? This is when the butter starts to seperate from the buttermilk, once you see the little clumps of butter inside the jar, begin to strain out the extra liquid (i recommend you save this, it is the buttermilk, and when home-made it tastes sweet, and is often used in baking i.e. pancakes,biscuits,etc;

After straining the buttermilk you have the remaining butter in the jar, just scoop it into a storage container and pat it down a bit, youll want to put it in the fridge to harden it a bit more so its easier to scoop and spread.

http://www.instructables.com/id/SOI8KRRF1U9XUOP/

I leave it on my counter for a few days *note, I use raw cream * and culture it using creme fraiche... then it goes into my food processor. Takes about 2 minutes.

But the shaking method is really good to know in case there's not electricity. smile I have been looking for a cheap, non-electric butter maker just in case, this method solves that.

I have made butter for years by this method and by using my old fashioned glass Daisy butter churn, my tin churn, my big wooden hand cranked churn and a crockery churn. They all are different but it all works the same.

First and foremost is the temperature of the cream. To churn quickly the cream should be about 62 to 65 degrees. Any colder and it will take a lot longer to 'turn' and any warmer and you get a greasy mess and not as much of the butterfat solidifies.

Butter can be made from fresh or slightly sour cream. Slightly sour seems to give a bit more solids but most of us are used to the sweet cream butter. Or as Elaine does you can culture it if you choose but it's not necessary. It just gives you a different taste.

Never fill the containers more than half to three quarters full as you need room for the cream to slosh around to get the butterfat to separate out and to clump together. As you shake, churn, blend, etc. you will have whipped cream first before it then separates into small particles. Shake until the butter sticks together or 'gathers' in the milk. You can then drain off the buttermilk for other uses. If it is not a cultured product and if the cream is fresh and sweet the resulting buttermilk will be sweet too. It is very good to drink either fresh or cultured or use in cooking or baking.

If you want to have your butter keep better then you need to wash it. I do this by first adding cold water to the container and continuing to shake or churn it a few times before draining it again and putting the butter in a bowl. I like to use a wooden one specially for that but you can really use anything. I then add more cold clear water and force it through the butter by mashing it with the back of a wooden spoon or in my case a special flat spoon called a butter paddle. I "wash" my butter several times until the water is fairly clear and then mash as much water out of the butter as is possible. Once well drained you can add salt to it but it will bring out a bit more water that should be drained off. The butter will then keep a long time just on the counter in a cool kitchen or longer kept cold.

The process sounds long but it really isn't and it's by no means difficult. It's so easy that we have dozens of children make butter each year at a local historic museum. We use small baby food jars for them, filling them with only a small amount of the correct temperature cream. It takes them only a few minutes, ten at the most, to make butter that way. We have them wash it lightly by putting cold water on after draining the buttermilk. They often use the buttermilk to make their own biscuit, baked in a wood burning cook stove, to put their butter on. grin

For those of you that don't know, Goats milk is naturally homogonized and the cream doesn't separate well without a mechanical separator but it WILL separate eventually and some goats have more cream than others. I have made pounds of goats cream butter. It's pure white compared to the yellow you get with cows butter. Still taste the same though. smile

bighug

Pogo, I've never seen the balls like that but I'm assuming you could use them for making butter as long as you don't freeze them first. The cream won't "turn" if the cream is too cold. That's why you can make ice cream without it turning into butter.

I have a Donvier ice cream maker that has a pan you put into the freezer. There's a gel in it that gets really cold. You only need to put it into the plastic holder, put in the mix and the paddles and turn two or three times every few minutes. It makes icecream very fast and easily. I might have to consider using it without freezing the pan, to make butter with. It holds a quart where my other churns all hold a lot more. A gallon in the Daisy churn and up to five in the others. thanks for the idea. grin

bighug

My children and I just did this for our Pioneers history section. With so many hands making butter in a jar is light work. They were thrilled watching it go into a ball as they were shaking it.. they even got to taste the left over milk!

I think it was here years ago that someone said their grandmother used to make butter as she rocked in her chair. They had some kind of holder attached somewhere on the rocker and as she rocked the butter was made.

Is that possible?

Dee walks away mumbling *was that for real or did I dream it*

These are great ideas; I was too lazy to shake a jar when I made butter last. I put cream in a bowl and mix with an electric handmixer until liquid pools in the bottom. After that I squeazed the whole blob in a folded piece of cheese cloth. This made great butter and it keeps well.

This reminds me to get a non-electric hand mixer for 'just in case'.

I just put heavy whipping cream into my blender, and in a few minutes.....butter. Easy. I like my daisy butter churn better though.

Cootie

• 2 weeks later...

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

It seems to me that some of the kids have done this jar method in school when they were in the lower grades. Could have been one of the grandsons who did it.

I have my mothers churn, so I do have a way to make butter, but, I don't have the cow or goat to get to cream from now. frown

HUGS4-1.gifHAVEAGOODDAY-1.gif

Archived