MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Brands of canners...

It says on the box, holds 7 qt, 10 pints, 12 half pint mason jars. Any bigger and it wouldnt fit on my cooktop, its a very confined area.

Since i no longer cook for a army, family of 6, downsized to 2 now, i dont really need quanity, just looking for home grown things of our own.

Cowgirl,

That will suit your needs well. I am happy you got a new canner !

I think I may like a small one, too, but no more storage area. I am out of room and still getting more jars. I have NO idea where they will go yet.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, sounds like me. I'm looking for more jars and my husbands says: What! MORE?? LOL I say: Yes hun, need more. Not only can I use them for canning but also storage of dehydrated things. LOL I also told him that what did he think we would do with all the meat in the freezer if we had no way to keep it cold? I told him I'd have to can it. LOL Bless his heart! LOL

• 1 month later...

Hello Darlene, All,

I finally decided to take the canning plunge. However, I fear I may not be able to. Let me explain.

My stove died a slow death in the winter and we had to replace it. I dont have gas, so that wasnt an option, but I decided on the ceramic top doohickey with an incredible oven (really.. it has sabbath programing and recipe recall , convection oven..can you tell I like it? :lol: ) Anyway, I was all set to but a All American Canner, because I like the fact that there are no rubber seals to contend with. Then I find out, I cant.. because I have a Ceramic top! TO add insult to more heartbreak, I bought a water bath canner from Walmart... and 25 lbs of pickling cucumbers... only to read as I am getting set up that IT cant be used on glass tops either!

HELP! Are there any types of pressure and water bath canners my (apparently delicate) stove can use?

Maranatha!

I've been seeing people mention alot lately, concerns over whether to get a Mirro or Presto or All American canner.

Over the years, we've discussed alot about how many of us like the All American canners. They really ARE tanks, and I personally like them for a variety of reasons.

My concern however, is that I don't want people to misunderstand. Having a Mirro or Presto canner vs an All American canner is JUST FINE! Just because someone might not have an All American canner doesn't mean that they can't can up a storm, successfully and safely.

When I first learned how to can, I had my mom's old Sears canner. We did hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of quarts of tomatoes...I did meats in that canner, etc 7 quarts at a time. I lost that canner in a house fire and when I started to shop around for a new canner, since I'm so ridiculous, I searched for the biggest canner they made, which is how I found the All Americans. I have 2 canners that do 19 quarts/32 pints at a time because that is how *I* can. I never do anything small...it's difficult to lug that thing around empty and virtually impossible to lift it with water...forget trying to move it when it's full.

I still have my grandma's canner. I'd hafta go look and see what brand it is, because it's a brand that I've never heard of. It has to be at least 70 years old. One of the handles on the lid broke sometime over the years when my grandmother had it, and my grandfather built an identical handle, but out of wood, as a replacement. Some day I'm going to can in that canner because I'm sentimental, because I know all the years and thousands of jars she processed through it...my mom still talks about how when she was a little girl, helping grandma can with that canner, so I want my generation to put a batch through that canner so that the legacy lives on. Silly, I know, but that's me.

So anyway, time is running short. Now is not the time to worry about brands, it's the time to be concerned about accumulating this type of equipment that will serve everyone well for many years to come. If all someone can do is get a used canner that is in good working order, SNATCH IT UP! It doesn't matter...all that matters is that it will hold the pressure and heat to safely can your foods.

If anyone ever has questions as to the details surrounding a particular canner, please ask...there are so many of us that having a wealth of experience that we're more than happy to pass forward to others.

Hello Darlene, All,

I finally decided to take the canning plunge. However, I fear I may not be able to. Let me explain.

My stove died a slow death in the winter and we had to replace it. I dont have gas, so that wasnt an option, but I decided on the ceramic top doohickey with an incredible oven (really.. it has sabbath programing and recipe recall , convection oven..can you tell I like it? :lol: ) Anyway, I was all set to but a All American Canner, because I like the fact that there are no rubber seals to contend with. Then I find out, I cant.. because I have a Ceramic top! TO add insult to more heartbreak, I bought a water bath canner from Walmart... and 25 lbs of pickling cucumbers... only to read as I am getting set up that IT cant be used on glass tops either!

HELP! Are there any types of pressure and water bath canners my (apparently delicate) stove can use?

Maranatha!

I'm not Darlene, but I just wanted to let you know that I use my water bath on my flat top stove all the time. Almost every item I have done in my WB canner takes less time than when I am making stews, soups or spagetti sauce. Whereas the pressure canner takes alot longer at a higher heat than most "regular" cooking.

ncnewbie,

What you need is to first check your stove manf. to see if cannig will work on it at all. Some will cycle on and off and make it impossible to maintain heat to can on it.

Then, if you are able to use it, most likely you will have to get a Presto canner. They are the only ones that state on the box they are safe for glass top stoves.

For a BWB canner you can also use the Presto and just don't fasten down the lid, just sit it on top. That or use a stainless stock pot that is tall enough for water to cover over the tops of the jars by 1-2 inches and have room to boil. You will need to find a rack to fit in the bottom or use a folded towel.

The blue speckled enamal BWB canner with the ridged bottom are ONLY for gas stoves. Not electric of any kind. They don't make contact with the elements properly.

• 1 year later...

Ok ... I know this is a really old thread, however I just wanted to say THANK YOU!! .. I was going to post asking what kind/brand of pressure canner would be good to get but I think from reading this thread I can safely go shopping :D

However I do have have one question ...

I have an electric stove, since I am renting and it came with the house I don't really want to put $$ into an element unless its really needed. If I do get a canning element are they made to fit ANY stove? As in can it easily be taken with me and used on some other brand/model when I move next? And would a canning element be NEEDED for doing WB canning?

Thanks!

~R

• 11 months later...

Howdy Ya'll!

So I am new here but have been browsing the endless amounts of information for a couple of weeks. After going through these threads it is pretty clear that a pressure "cooker" is not sufficient for pressure canning. I have inherited a National Pressuer Cooker/Canner from my aunt. I was excited to get it up and running to try my hand at canning, but after reading about pressure cookers I am concerned that this is innsufficient. Here is a picture of what I have.

$(KGrHqIOKjwE3QmcNN5QBN78ifkm7g~~_35.JPG

Can anyone confirm if it is ok or not ok to use this for canning. Thanks for your help and i look forward to future conversations with you all.:gathering:

I personally would turn it into a nice flower pot since it does not contain the safety features that exist on more modern canners. If you decided to try it anyway, you would need to get the Dial Gauge tested for accuracy before using.

For a beginner and weekend home canner person, I would personally recommend the Presto 16 quart 'Rocker' Canner found in almost all WalMarts and similar stores for around $50-$70. Very easy to use and will hold up to 7 quart jars or 9 pints.

Hi there,

I have to disagree here. They ARE just as safe as the newer ones, in fact, I like them better. I've replaced the safety plugs, the seals and the gauges. I have 5 and I use them constantly.

THEY ARE PERFECTLY SAFE TO USE when tested and made safe. You may need to make sure the bottom is flat, for aluminum can warp with time. Occasionally I've had to level one, but it still works great.

Having taught canning classes with Violet, we certify these and use them.

Hope this helps.

Yes, Violet says it is fine as long as the gasket it good, the over pressure plug is soft, and the dial is tested before use. You can even retro fit most of these to make them work as a weighted gauge canner.

Nothing wrong with that old kind of canner. We have one at the office, even.

It is not a pressure cooker, though it can be used as one.

A pressure cooker is usually about 2-4 quarts and used for roasts, potatoes, etc. You usually can't fit a quart jar in one.

A pressure canner looks like the photo, it has a vent, a gauge or weight, and a safety plug. You can fit at least 3 - 5 quart jars in one without the lid touching the tops of the jars.

Both have rubber rings in the lid for sealing.

Many people will cool a pressure cooker by yanking it off the stove and running it under hot water. You NEVER do this to a pressure canner. For one thing, loaded up, they're HEAVY. For another, it will damage the pot. Whether you have a gauge or weight pressure canner, you need to let the pressure come down naturally. It takes about 20 or so minutes.

Perhaps this would be a better site for you: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html

I find the Miss Vicky site to be rather vague at times. The above site is the National Centers for Home Food Preservation from University of Georgia. They keep everything up to date and only use the best canning practices.

Good luck!

I also wanted to say that the safety plug on that model is behind the gauge. It's there, you just can't see it.

The photo by Ghost of City Life is a pressure CANNER by National, a number 5 or 7, meaning it can hold 5 or 7 quarts. National was a precursor to Presto/ Mirro in the 30's, 40's & 50's.

I have both presto and all american canners and I like both. i bought the presto because that is what my mother used and i learned to can on; however I kept finding canners at the local St Vincent DePaul store, so i bought more until I noticed that look on my husbands face. I got the gauges checked at the UW extension office in a nearby town and they have all been right on the money, and I have replaced a few gaskets. Otherwise they have all been good to go. And about them 'blowing up'? I had a safety fuse blow one time (obviously, those cans didn't seal) due to a plugged petcock. I cleared the opening, replaced the fuse and was back in business less than 2 hrs later. No boom at all. Just a noise that made us say "what was that?" because it was not normal (it sounded like a tire going flat). So I don't think one need worry too much about a pressure cooker 'exploding'. Those safety fuses work just fine.

Edited by kappydell

YEAH! Thank you all for your insight and information! I am so glad to know that I can use this once I get some maintenance done on it. C4C you are right that there is a safety plug right on top in the center of the lid. Because this canner is so old I would assume that the plug may have to be replaced and the gasket as well? Would my local extension office be the best place to have the dial gauge tested? Is there anything that i should be looking out for when using this model? Does anyone have information on retro fitting this model with a weighted gauge? Thanks again everyone!