MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canner Gauge Testing

Well, I thought I'd have my new canner (bought last year but still used my old one because I just had a few small batches left to do) gauge tested this year before I start canning. The extension office in my county is way on the other side of Cleveland so I called the extension office closer to me in a different county. Turns out the extension offices now charge $5.00 to have your gauge tested. I always thought it was free!

I tried to call the office in my county just to see what they would say but they wanted my name and phone number to 'get back' to me. I wasn't in the mood to play phone tag today so I hung up.

Anyone else have to pay? Violet!!!!

She also said the girl is in and out so I'd probably have to leave the lid. It's about 20 miles to get there. Then 20 miles back home. That would 40 miles X 2 = 80 miles. Plus gas and $5.00 to boot. Harump.

• 2 weeks later...

All the more reason I guess to convert to a "rocker." I'm actually surprised it has taken this long before the volunteer/public service began having a price tag attached to it. They have costs too, even the government greedy types, and I'm finding the friendly desire to be of service to the public/neighbors is eroding badly.