MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Prayers for the children/families of Newtown, Connecticut

The horrific news of the school shooting at a Newtown Connecticut elementary school is on Yahoo and ABCnews.com has me praying up a storm for those children and their families. My heart sank even more when Coastygirl shared in the shoutbox that her husband's grandkids go to that school.

:pray:

Praying intently for all of those children and families, and for Coastygirl, her husband, and parents of the children, to get news they are safe. I cannot even begin to imagine what they're going through!

(((coastygirl))))

:pray::pray::pray:

20 yr old male shooter inside school shot dead, GP, another man is being questioned. Investigation ongoing so information is fluid about such details right now. 27 dead, 18 of them children and the principal. Pueblo CO also has schools with perimeter guard set as a response, other schools concerned I am sure as well. Pray for Coastygirls hubby's grandkids, they go to that school in CT. Pray if you are inclined to do so for them all. What a terrible rotten thing to do. :pray:

The women of MrsS are grieving this thing in a completely different way than our men. Interesting observations. I was brought to tears with reading and watching just one video clip.

But I also briefly had thots along the lines of GP and Louis..... Are we seeing such a upswing in these horror scenes due to manipulations? My stomanch lurches at the very idea. Revolting.

OTOH...this world is filled with untreated/untreatable mental illness. And untreated rage. And untreatable self-gratification addiction. It might simply be that THIS is what we are producing..... Horror!

MtRider ---rejoicing for the families [like CoastyG's] that were spared the ultimate grieving this day; with great sorrow, praying for the others

Edited by Mt_Rider
typo

I was following this story today from my cell phone. I wasn't near a computer to be able to post. I am completely sickened by this. I watched the losses mount up hour by hour. I am grateful that more kids were spared, but saddened by the senseless loss of life.

Clearly this man must have some kind of mental illness... There is no other explanation. People don't just wake up and decide to go shoot up a school. I would like to find out the rest of the story. Right now, the press reports are all over the map. The holidays are particularly stressful for people with mental illness. We see a lot of suicides at this time of year along with an upswing in other behaviors.

Today is a sad day. I doubt very much that it was staged for any nefarious reason. There are far too many families in mourning tonight who can bear witness to the impact of this tragedy.

Yes, lots of stuff going around since it's still being investigated. I haven't caught up the latest on it yet, it was mostly speculation by newspeople with bits of info. (DH and I were out after work/babysitting.) I saw it on the news in the afternoon while changing channels, but didn't watch watch while the grandson was up. I just sat & cried for them, and praying, of course.

Already new "gun controls" are being called for. One guy pointed out on the radio that China had a guy who stabbed 22 children today with a knife. If they're crazy, a knife will do. Do we ban all knives?

We used to keep crazy people in hospitals where they took their meds, bathed regularly, slept in clean beds, wore clean clothes, and were fed meals regularly. Now our "mentally ill" are FREE to do as they please because the ACLU "freed" them in the 70's because they had RIGHTS. It is extremely difficult to get a mentally ill relative committed unless they do certain acts.

Where is the call to reopen the mental hospitals? We would no longer have a homeless problem if they would.

Thank you all for the prayers--they were answered for us because our grandchildren are safe. The other familys were not so fortunate. We can continue to pray for them all.

Reply from Philbe: Thanks you Lord for the safety of these grandchildren.

I heard about the incident in China but thought it was a mistake. I'm so sad that one was for real as well. I've heard the shooter had Aspergers....trying to figure out how he had access to the guns in the home if he had mental health issues. I don't understand any of this....

Seriously? Asperger's syndrome is a high-functioning (aka mild) form of autism that certainly does not make the people who deal with it prone to going out and shooting up a classroom full of kindergarteners. Are you implying that everyone with autism needs to be locked up in a mental hospital? That is one seriously screwed up statement. I

PLEASE - ! Go back and read dogmom4's post. She said (QUOTE) "I've heard the shooter had Aspergers....trying to figure out how he had access to the guns in the home if he had mental health issues."

She merely repeated what A MEDIA PERSON had said in public. Aspergers IS considered a "mental health issue".

She did NOT say it made him dangerous. She did NOT say it is a reason to be locked up. She did NOT make a "seriously screwed-up statement."

This is the kind of thing that can hurt people and cause divisions on a site where we just want to figure stuff out and help each other.

It is way too soon to understand this particular act of insanity. Already some of what WE posted about what WE HEARD is proving false. I heard that his father was not killed, but that a body was found in his home. (A girlfriend/second wife?) But I've heard nothing about that since.

Let's be gentle with *each other*, too, as we pray for the victims' families.

Apparently the person in the home was his mother. She was a substitute teacher and was not even there. He killed her before going to the school. The media had been reporting snippets of information without having the facts. And may not have all the facts yet. .

Everyone is really emotional right now and I'm sure not meaning to sound harsh. It makes us sad; it makes us angry; it should bring us to our knees. The Lord is our shelter, our comfort, and our tower of strength. How long will he be patient with us? Lord in Heaven forgive us, bring our country to its knees, turn our hearts back to you. In Jesus name.

Edited by homeschoolshe