MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Annie and Amber

:)

I'm now taking only about ten minutes to read a page of paperback-sized print. This is awful compared to last year, but three times faster than a few months ago. Only one of my hands is persistently numb, and if one of them has to be numb I'm glad it's the left. The headaches are gone, unless I try to read too much. I'm probably getting rated at MMI next week by the last of the doctors and therapists, but they say to expect another year or so of some kind of improvement.

:hi: Ladies!

The crud is hanging on. I've lost 10 lbs. :008Laughing:

I went back to the doctor and asked if he would check me for valley fever. Self diagnosing, checking on-line, I seem to have all the symptoms. After a life time here in the desert, I would not doubt it in the least.

About two months ago, DH and I were sitting on the porch swing, watching a dust storm form around us. The red dusty sky began closing in and then the dust and wind hit with a vengeance. Of course we were too stupid to go inside, it did not seem as bad as some of the dust storms we usually see. Then about a week later, I began the coughing, fever, fatigue, etc. We generally do not go to the doctor for a couple of weeks, because it seems silly to us to go for the flu or a simple cold. After 2 and an half weeks, I developed a kidney infection on top of it all. When I called, the nurse suggested we both go.

DH got amoxicillin and I got microbid and cipro (sp). We are doing much better, however, because the stupid coughing, congestion and fatigue are still persistent, I went back. My doc played vampire and took 4 viles of blood to run a spectrum of tests in order to target his treatment. We shall see. I will call on Wednesday to find out my results.

'Taint no big thing, this too shall pass.

Thank you for asking, you made my day. :hug3:

Ambergris, it is nice to hear you are improving. Listening to you describe the process, brings back a lot of memories. :pray:

:happy0203: I'm keeping my sense of humor and a smile on my face. :happy0203:

Especially when I go out, I cover my bubbling, rattling coughs in the crook of my arm, I peek out and watch people scatter away from me. :grinning-smiley-044: If my suspicion is correct, and it is valley fever, it is not contagious. Either way, I have been trying to stay home and let DH do all the errands.

I'd post a few of our pictures of the dust storms we have encountered, but my computer is not well either. Apple released a bad update and my machine has not been the same. The programs I use to edit/crop/resize pictures will not even load anymore. Being run down, I have not had the ambition to figure out what the problem is yet. Technology. :scratchhead:

Here is an example of one that hit our area.

140725-phoenix-dust-02_c44b196eb1d66f57d

During a storm, everything, inside and outside looks like this:

DustStorm0807_02.jpg

:faint3:

I watched a really good documentary once about the dust bowl storms during the depression. I think it was called Black Blizzard or something like that. Also the old silent movie, The Wind.

Well...at least you don't have to shovel it in below zero temps. :grinning-smiley-044:

:runcirclsmiley2: :runcirclsmiley2: :runcirclsmiley2:

For some reason, every time I see a pic of those about to eat a city..... I react at a visceral level with terror. I think my brain is seeing it as a tsunami of water. It just looks HORRIFYING to me. Shheeeeeeeeeeeeesh! Gives me the creeps!

'Course I've got very negative sinus reactions to 'particulate matter'. [dust, smoke, etc] I think it's the only thing I'm truly allergic to. I don't have asthma but I'd bet something like THAT could throw me into pneumonia. I'm having enough trouble with winter furnace throwing log cabin dust into my nose. Can hardly breathe til I go thru all my routines to get clear every morning.

MtRider ....remind me not to move to ...there! :blink:

Edited by Mt_Rider

:)

I'm now taking only about ten minutes to read a page of paperback-sized print. This is awful compared to last year, but three times faster than a few months ago. Only one of my hands is persistently numb, and if one of them has to be numb I'm glad it's the left. The headaches are gone, unless I try to read too much. I'm probably getting rated at MMI next week by the last of the doctors and therapists, but they say to expect another year or so of some kind of improvement.

:pray:

:hi: Ladies!

The crud is hanging on. I've lost 10 lbs. :008Laughing:

I went back to the doctor and asked if he would check me for valley fever. Self diagnosing, checking on-line, I seem to have all the symptoms. After a life time here in the desert, I would not doubt it in the least.

About two months ago, DH and I were sitting on the porch swing, watching a dust storm form around us. The red dusty sky began closing in and then the dust and wind hit with a vengeance. Of course we were too stupid to go inside, it did not seem as bad as some of the dust storms we usually see. Then about a week later, I began the coughing, fever, fatigue, etc. We generally do not go to the doctor for a couple of weeks, because it seems silly to us to go for the flu or a simple cold. After 2 and an half weeks, I developed a kidney infection on top of it all. When I called, the nurse suggested we both go.

DH got amoxicillin and I got microbid and cipro (sp). We are doing much better, however, because the stupid coughing, congestion and fatigue are still persistent, I went back. My doc played vampire and took 4 viles of blood to run a spectrum of tests in order to target his treatment. We shall see. I will call on Wednesday to find out my results.

'Taint no big thing, this too shall pass.

Thank you for asking, you made my day. :hug3:

Ambergris, it is nice to hear you are improving. Listening to you describe the process, brings back a lot of memories. :pray:

:pray:

• 2 weeks later...

OH NO! (((((((Ambergris)))))))

Are you okay? I pray this doesn't set you back. :pray:

I know it gets discouraging sometimes. I've had years where it seems like everything that could go wrong, does. I totaled 2 cars in less than two months once. Same year I had to have major surgery and major dental work done. Also a string of other 'fun' stuff. 1987 was not my year. I'm hoping you get all of this crud behind you soon too. :sorry:

I lost it when on the phone with the medical claims guy. End of March, I got T-boned. End of April, my ex got hit and killed (he died in May). In August, DS2 and his gf were rear-ended. DS2 is fine, but his gf has serious issues. Now this--I topped a little rise and the sun splashed gold across my windshield. Couldn't even see the stripes in the road, so I hit the brakes and was wondering whether to pull into the median and wait for the sun to change its angle or something...anything. Before I could get any further, the car in front of me stopped, the car in front of it stopped, and eventually I stopped...but I'm the only one of the three who stopped by ramming the car in front of me. Luckily, we were right out of a school zone and going maybe all of 25mph before we all hit the brakes. I went to the chiro yesterday because I was hurting bad, and now I'm hurting worse. Plus DS1, my passenger, has an ugly bruise on his shoulder where the belt crossed. Some days it really doesn't pay to get out of bed, you know?

Edited by Ambergris

...and you didn't hit a pedestrian! The sun can be brutal...and so unexpected.

Soooo sorry you are having such an incredibly horrid year!!! :( Surprising, isn't it, how even 25 mph is quite an impact. Glad you both were in seat belts [bruise notwithstanding] so you weren't tossed forward into the dashboard....windshield... Hope all this pain you have now is soft tissue that will heal in the next few days. Ligaments and such are harder....longer. And you are overly familiar with that already!

How were the folks in the SUV?

MtRider (((Ambergris & son)))

Edited by Mt_Rider

The sun causes many accidents. In Amish country around here it is especially dangerous. A steep hill + glaring sun + an Amish buggy full of people going about 5 miles an hour suddenly in front of you = disaster!

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Jeepers