MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wanna Go For A Ride

I had a good day today. I went to Amish country again. Want to come on a tour with me? I would love some company!

First stop was to Mrs. Miller’s Dry Goods Store for a few fat quarters and to check out some material. They sell pieces of material already matched which is a big help for me. http://millersdrygoods.com/

Next up to Helping Hands Quilt Shop to ogle some of their quilts and to get some ideas. They are lovely and truly works of art. Out of my league for sure. http://helpinghandsquilts.com/

I hit the Gospel Bookstore for a couple of Amish books because I don’t have enough to read? Sorry about the music! I got a free cookie all wrapped up nice. Chocolate chip. To die for. (I GOT RID OF THE LINK BECAUSE IT WON'T STOP PLAYING UNTIL THE SONG IS OVER.) PFFFT

Then down the road to Troyer’s Country Market to get some more herbal tea to fill in my empty spots. I got some apples too. http://troyerscountrymarket.com/

I went to Walnut Creek Cheese and boy is that place misnamed! It is THE biggest bulk food store I’ve ever seen! I got enough cornmeal to fill a 2 gallon bucket clear full for around $8.00. There is video tour on the website but that doesn’t even do it justice. It was a great place. About everything you can think of is sold in bulk. http://walnutcreekcheese.com/departments/deli.html

Then over to Mt. Hope Health Food Store. They have a lot of unusual, all natural things there but boy are they expensive. I was looking for some ear drops because my tinnitus is driving me crazy-er. They had a little bottle of stuff for over $30.00. I passed that on by. I’ll listen to my crickets a little while longer. I did get some small containers of salves. Amish owned, no website.

Then I went up to Hannah’s furniture shop to nose around. I’ve bought small pieces of furniture there before. I think I want to upgrade my kitchen table to a much smaller one. Either my son or Salvation Army will get the one I have now. If either one wants it. It’s only about 35 years old and it looks it too. That will have to wait until spring because I’ll have to rent a little open U-Haul trailer to get it home. http://www.jjwoodcraft.com/

I stopped off at another bulk food store called Ashery Country Store. It has been expanded and remodeled since I was there last. I didn’t need anything there but I fell in love with their bulk spice display. It was so pretty. The entire back wall is a wooden cabinet type thing with lots of little cubbies. Each cubby has a glass door with clear plastic containers of spices behind them. I wish I had taken my camera. You could tell it was Amish (quality) made. The picture at the top of the website shows a little of it. It covers the whole wall, top to bottom. http://www.asherycountrystore.com/

Last stop in Amish country was LEHMANS! I got one of those plunger type clothes washer things. They didn’t have any of the metal ones. I’m not sure if they are going to carry them anymore. They do get dinged. The one I got is made just like the other ones but it is thick rubber. And was $19.00. Not bad for Lehman’s. I also found some really nice 7in. pie tins that are pretty deep. They will be perfect for single serving pot pies or shepherd’s pie to make ahead and store in the freezer and bake in the oven later. Could probably use them for a serving of lasagna or chili. I was going to buy some disposable ones in bulk but I don’t have to now. Really nice and heavy for $4.00 and something each. And I bought some monkey socks. The kind you make a ‘sock monkey’ out of. Except I’m going to wear mine. They are nice and heavy and will feel good on my tootsies. Two pair for $12.00. I’ll like them even more when I’m out walking in the snow and slush. A really nice video of Jay Lehman on the site. I see him in the store nearly every time I go in. And he was there today. He does not look 85! https://www.youtube.com/user/lehmanshardware

Well, by then I was getting kind of tired. I got an early start but I had one more stop in my own area before I headed home. I went to the America’s biggest candy store. Woot. I’m not a big candy eater but I do like the sour candy. I loaded up on Sweet Tarts, Smarties, Sour patch Kids etc. They also have a hard disk candy in bulk I really like. It’s clear and tastes sort of like 7Up. They are getting ready to move up the street from where they are now so they are having some deals so they don’t have to move it all. http://www.sweetiescandy.com/

About every place I went gave out free calendars. They are nice Amish picture type ones. I’m set for calendars! Ohio has the largest Amish population followed by Pennsylvania but each state seems to offer different things. Ohio has lots of bulk food stores and furniture and Pennsylvania has a lot more quilt stores and Shoo Fly pie! Ohio isn’t quite as touristy…yet.

I’m tired but had a great day!
Hope all of these links work. :unsure:

Edited by Jeepers

It appears you just about run the wheels off your Jeep! LOL One thing though...might want to be careful of taking pictures in Amish establishments, I hear they're a bit camera shy. BUT...we must have had the same type of trip in our minds because we went to one of our favorite places and I picked up 1 lg bottle of liquid Castille/Lavender and 1 lg bottle of liquid Castille/Peppermint, along with a bar of peppermint soap as a gift and 3 bars of lavender soaps for gifts, and had them set me back 12 bars of their Shampoo Bars. I love that stuff! Only one sudsing cleans my hair and MrWE2 says the same...one sudsing. Personally I think it's easier to store as a prep item than liquid shampoos and I don't have to worry about freezing or squeezing :-) Also picked up another package of bread bags because I confiscated the ones from the Roost's pantry, and picked up another Swingline hand crank can opener since I only had one here...you know the story..1 is none, 2 is 1 etc., etc. :-)

Yeah, just when I got all of the fluids ect. changed out on the Jeep I go running around making them old again. LOL. Oh well. I decided to go on down this morning because we are supposed to get sleet tomorrow and also gas is pretty cheap right now. I always ask before I take pictures in their stores. They have always obliged. Especially when I tell them why I want it. And buy stuff. On the other hand I've only asked a couple of times. Now a days camera phones take pictures before ya know it. My TracPhone doesn't take pictures. I don't think. My luck I'd take my regular camera in someplace and have the flash activated. Imagine taking a flash picture with all of that glass in there.

I picked up a bar of homemade soap too. My first. I'll have to give a shampoo bar a try the next time I'm there. I'd probably do better trying to find it around here or on line. Things are 'tourist priced' down there.

Thank you Jeepers, I enjoyed the ride. :happy0203:

I took my time, reading and looking at each store, almost better than a 'wish book' catalogue. That was such a wonderful experience for me, I imagined I was walking around, smelling all the spices, cloth, wood.... I dreamed of choosing new furniture, getting bolts of material, stocking up.... on Sweet Tarts.... I let my mind wander, clicking on the pages......

Your virtual tour was wonderful.

We also noticed that at one of the other plain people stores (where we bought our meats) they had a label for "deodorant rock" but the shelf was empty. Looking forward to getting my hands on one to give it a try :-) MrWE2 won't use anything without an anti-perspirant, but I asked him what he'd do SHTF when all the anti-perspirants run out :-)

We also noticed that at one of the other plain people stores (where we bought our meats) they had a label for "deodorant rock" but the shelf was empty. Looking forward to getting my hands on one to give it a try :-) MrWE2 won't use anything without an anti-perspirant, but I asked him what he'd do SHTF when all the anti-perspirants run out :-)

The deodorant rocks are also called 'Thai stones'. There are various ones. All are of mineral salt composition. I seem to remember a brandname of 'Crystal'. Not for everyone, some people react to them, but they can last a LONG time. Also under the Crystal brandname were lotion, and roller-ball applicator packaging.

Sarah