MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pressure Cookers vs. Pressure Canning for home canning foods

• 4 weeks later...

I need to jump into the thread somewhere, so I might as well do it where there has been a reference to good old Washington State, where I live grin ( I love it here) My wife and I are thinking about canning again after all these years, and we were wondering whether we could make do with a waterbath canner, since all we will be canning will be fruits and veg. I'm not sure we would can meat, and if I had fish, I would pickle it...

I would like to can tomato-based salsa, though my wife says modern tomatoes are not acid enough for waterbath canning.

I told my wife that if there was a distinct advantage to having a pressure canner, I sure wouldn't mind forking out a few extra bucks for that, but i'm just a dumb male, and my experience of canning consists of moving full and empty jars around when my mother needed help.

And boiling down tomatoes for catsup-what a mess, I will stick to salsa if i ever can tomatoes. frown

Does anyone have any generic advice on whether waterbath canners have any advantage if you are concentrating on fruits & veg?

Hippie Dad,

I'm glad that you've asked questions so that we can hopefully shed light into a new area that y'all are exploring.

Waterbath canners are great to have and can do a LIMITED amount of canning. Tomato based salsas are waterbath canned all the time and are very safe because of the addition of vinegar that acts as a preservative. We have a great salsa recipe posted in this forum...Annie's Salsa.

Not all veggies can be water bath...in fact very few of them. Most of them have to be pressure canned.

Jams and jellies can be water bathed. Most fruits can be water bathed.

Without a pressure canner however, you will be sorely limited what you will be able to preserve at home. Pressure canners are a wise and solid investment and offers you a wealth of opportunity to preserve more things at home.

My personal suggestion would be that y'all invest in a pressure canner. I just can't think of one reason you'd regret it, especially if you plan on preserving the fruits and few veggies you can process in the waterbath canning process.