MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Is/Was For Dinner?

Beef enchiladas and refried beans...MrWE2 loves Mexican-style foods and after all, today is a "special" day for him! :happyBD:

For dessert I fixed a "modified" version (mine) of sopapapillos (sp?) ... anyway ... they turned out scrumptuous! Again...one of his favorite Mexican desserts :-)

Happy birthday Mr. WE2!

Dinner tonight will be burgers - buns for the kids, but not for hubby and me. Down 4 pounds since Sunday!

Sounds like you're on a weight reduction mission too! LOL I'm down 11 since July 29th, and want to lose another 9 or so.

Sounds like you're on a weight reduction mission too! LOL I'm down 11 since July 29th, and want to lose another 9 or so.

Yup. We're doing low carb + my dietary restrictions, which sadly now include nightshades so no peppers or tomatoes. But hey, I don't get nauseated at night every day now! I have about 30-40 pounds to get down in the reasonable range, hubby has a bit more.

Planning to hit Sam's after I pick up kids - they'll get samples which thrills them and I'll get 6 bricks of cream cheese for $7.

Dinner tonight: cheesy sausages and more burgers and salad. Hopefully I'll remember to put the rest of my mushrooms on top of my burger - they were sautéed in butter, then had a bit of Alouette cheese (herby garlicky goodness) added.

Last cannister of ham & pinto beans from my freezer will be supper tonight! We splurged last night and again celebrated MrWE2's birthday with more Mexican, but we ate out. He adores Chili Rejanos so he got him some! Our favorite place has $5.99 night on Thursdays :-)

Pulled out a cornish hen to thaw and the Cobb is on it's stand just waiting :-) I'll get the coals fired up about 4 or so and put the potatoes in first, then add a couple more coals if needed and put the cornish hen in to cook. Just loving that little bugger! LOL (put in some pics) The cornish hen went on to really brown very nicely, didn't even have to turn it over etc. I just peeled the label off a can of pork & beans and set it under the dome with the chicken :-) The taters still need to go in quite awhile before the rest of the meal. I'll get it figured out :-) I used 7 coals this time and it was cooking hot for over 3 hours!

Left the Sun Oven at the Roost or I would have just put the frozen hen right in that this morning :-( Guess I just can't have everything at both places :-) The Roost is pretty much our "go to" place so most of our crisis management supplies are there. Only keep absolute emergency stuff for 3 or 4 days here.

post-9087-0-10744000-1415506720_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-66820000-1415506726_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-43394600-1415506732_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-71006300-1415506737_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's

Everything sounds so good.

S: Chicken pot pie (using leftover chicken and leftover gravy) grapes

M: Tikka Masala (last of the leftover chicken), collard greens, rice, spinach

T: Pot roast with potatoes, carrots, & onions, yeast rolls, fresh pineapple (sale .99ea,) grapes

W: tonight we're having homemade lasagna, leftover yeast rolls with garlic butter, and grapes

last night I tried a new (to me)recipe, turnip green soup. It was a hit! at least with all except my picky eater, I had to fix him something else.

Everyone is asking if there leftovers today.So last night we had turnip green soup and hot cornbread and tea

My daughter made some at her house and said people were coming from all over wanting a taste. My son in law had a few of his hunting buddies over and they all had to try it. Lucky it made a great big pot full.

Tonight is chicken soup (with dumplings in DH's) and salad with homemade cheesy ranch dressing.

Tomorrow is baked pork chops in a mushroom sauce, baked sweet potato (for DH) and green beans.

I am on a low carb diet so I have to make starchy things for DH only. SInce I lowered the carbs my insulin use had dropped by a third!

Last night was veal cutlets and cheese filled tortillini. Tonight it's chicken breast, baked potatoes & a veggie. This morning we ate biscuits & gravy with scrambled eggs on the side. Splurged on the carbs! LOL Gotta have this stuff once in awhile (including pancakes) !

• 1 month later...

Gosh, I guess nobody has cooked dinner since Nov.14. That's too long to let this thread languish. Tonight we had hamburgers and French fries. Tomorrow I plan to make chicken and dumplings , cornbread , a veggie of some kind, tea.

After I go to the store Thursday I plan to make a dish my daughter gave me the recipe for. I don't know what it's called , we just call it "that chicken and green bean thing"==You can make this as large as you want. Spray your baking dish and put a can of drained green beans in 1/3 of the dish. Put chicken breast in the middle and chunks of potato on the end. Melt a stick of butter and pour over it. Sprinkle a package of Italian seasoning over it , cover it with foil and bake it til the chicken and potatoes are done. Its great, you better add extra and make a double batch. =I have added carrots, just about anything you want.==The seasoning I use is Good Seasons. Bake at 350 for about 45 min to1 hour.

Edited by kully

I sauteed some rice, added

1 raw frozen hamburger patty

1 med. onion

a handful of dried mushrooms,

1/2 cup of dried English peas

1 1/2 cups of whole canned tomatoes

1/2 cup of my home canned tomato sauce

Added a little Mozarella cheese to the hot dish....

good..

will do me for several meals!

MrWE2's doc report...everything good...except the triglycerides :-( Dangerously high! Now has to take meds AND we'll be altering our diet BIG time...and fish oil will be part of his morning meal. Guess I'll join him since I'm cooking and see no reason to prepare differently for myself. Supper tonight? Veal cutlets, LOTS of green beans and a half potato each. He's having to give up his Dr.Pepper (the big $1 at McD's) nearly every day, his late night tortilla chips and we'll not be buying (or me baking) any pastries/cookies. We won't miss eliminating sugar since we really don't eat that much of it...but he'll really miss his soda pop :-( Funny that everybody I know that drinks Dr.P gets addicted to it just as bad as coffee or alcohol :-(

Edited by The WE2's