MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Nana's Kick-As* Cure-All soup (repost)

Cat

**THIS IS NANA'S RECIPE**

Okay... I don't really write out my recipes very much but I'll give it a shot!

For the broth:

1 or more whole chickens

for every chicken you need -

1 large or 2 small onions (quartered is fine)

2 large carrots, peeled and cut in chunks

3 stalks of celery, cut in chunks

6 cloves of garlic, peeled and cut in half

2 teaspoons peppercorns

2 tablespoons crushed red pepper

3 bay leaves

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 teaspoons sea salt

1 teaspoon ginger

1 teaspoon nutmeg [or 1/2 fresh grated nut (nutmeg- nut!)]

Thoroughly rinse chicken inside and out, and remove extra fat. Put everything in a big stock pot and cover chicken with cold water. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer. Cook until chicken pulls away from bones easily. Remove chicken. Strain broth, cool, skim fat.

To make the soup, remove from bones and chop the chicken into bite size pieces, add to broth and heat. Adjust seasonings with garlic powder, onion powder, and Tabasco sauce. It should 'bite' your tongue but not cause you to faint!

Bring to a gentle boil and add egg noodles. This soup should be thick with chicken and noodles, almost a stew. Serve hot with saltine crackers or garlic bread.

Now... if that seems to be a lot of spice, that's the idea! The more garlic, onion and red pepper you have in it, the better it will make you feel. Trust me on this. I've brought people back from the brink of death with this soup! I'm only half kidding!

If you make it, make it exactly this way - if you change anything it won't be my Kick-As* Cure All soup!

• 2 weeks later...

i am going to go buy a chicken!

lol the only tiara in this house is a plastic dress up one that is busted due to having been sat upon!

• 4 weeks later...

i bought 2 whole chickens to make this...BUT i dont have apot big enough! hah hah....oh well, one at a time i guess. i cant wait to try this!

nana...its awsome!!!

• 1 year later...

BUMP!! Just came across this; sounds great...with all that pepper it HAS TO clear out any sinus problems FOR SURE, LOL!!!

Cant wait to try this; thanks for posting it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I make a soup very similar to this, but am going to try your recipe exactly next time.

I make broth from two chicken almost every single week, and LOVE the idea you wrote about grinding the spent bones and veggies for your dogs. I haven't got dogs, but I think my cat will LOVE it! I am making stock right now, as a matter of fact, and will try it tomorrow.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
If you make it, make it exactly this way - if you change anything it won't be my Kick-As* Cure All soup!

Uh... I added a bit more salt, parsnips, parsley, and a sweet potato. But everything else was the same!

It was delicious, BTW, and was my official *first attempt to can soup*! Everyone LOVED it! We ate half, I saved half of the stalk and chicken, threw in new veggies (at all the others), and pressure canned that baby! (Minus the noodles, of course.)

Why yes, I am rather proud of myself. :P

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

making this now....need it, I have SUCH a sinus cold!! 3rd one this year!