MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Has anyone dehydrate sugar snap peas?

mom11

I am trying a lttle experiment. I'm making my own stir fry veggie mixture. I have broccoli and bok choy in my dehydrator now. I have lots of almost ready sugar snap peas in the garden and was wondering if they could be dehydrated.

Anyway...I am dehydrating stir fry veggies, then gonna mix them together and vacuum seal them, ready to be hydrated and made into stir fry. My chicks would eat that everyday if I made it.

I ordered Oriental veggie seeds from California and have bok choy, 2 kinds of dwarf bok choy, dwarf Chinese cabbages, and Oriental greens....OOPS! Also Asparagus beans (foot long beans) and baby corn. I am practicing now, so I'll be ready when it all is done growing!

I have only ever canned them... and no crunch either.

looks like you need to keep them planted! Mom11... can you get a fall planting? I can plant the peas in mid August with some minimal shade, under a tree that will loose its leaves or shade cloth or wait until Labor Day to plant. they need the warmth of the soil to germinate but love the cool weather, i have had them survive.. go dormant in a snow and once the sun comes out back to producing again.

I think I can plant them twice. I have another crop of them, that are several inches high. I have gotten 16 quarts out of this patch. I would probably have many more, but everytime I recruit a little helper, they just stand in the garden and eat these things. They are useless! I have been blanching the peas and then freezing them. I have also planted something called an asparagus sugar snap pea, it has little wings on them and they are mature at about 1 inch size. I am anxious to see how they turn out.

I thought the fresh broccoli, that I dehydrated and stir fried was quite tough. Maybe I should have blanched it first?? The bok choy was ok and so were the mushrooms.

Evenin', mom11

My book says that dehydrated broccoli's quality is "poor to fair."

Water blanch 2 to 3 minutes or steam blanch 3 to 5 minutes. Dry at 140 degrees for 2 hours, then 130 degrees until dry. Dry 'til brittle.

I've always read that dehydrated broccoli is better used in soups, etc.

Stir fry would be pushin' the limits... shrug

Yeah Cat....I think I pushed it to the limits...The leftovers are going into husband's lunch box and we are having a friend over and making homemade pizza.

Guess I'll ty and blanch it and see if that makes it better.

Thanks for the directions Leah.

I always planted a crop for each kid... this one tomatos, that one peas and then there was one that ate everything!

I plant peas every week for weeks so I have a constant supply of them going... I crowd them together.

Yeah...that's what I'm doing...One pea patch is ready to be pulled up, another one is growing well, another just sprouting. My little pea eater was more interested in "dissecting weeds" today, so he can look at them under the microscope tomorrow. I have a box of weeds on the kitchen counter tonight. At least it kept him busy, so he wasn't stomping through my Oriental veggie patch...AGAIN! I'm just glad that he forgot, he wants me to buy MORE owl pellets...I just hate doing owl pellets...YEWWWW!!!!

hi westbrook,

yeah we can get 2 good plantings usually, iffn the frost dont get us. just last night it dropped to 28 degrees *sigh* lost the corn, most of the beans, fried some of the cabbage, squash, etc. the tomatoes were safe in the water walls and the spinach and lettuce and snap peas did fine-----

gotta start over...............gonna be a busy weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a yummy product (at the health food store here) called Baked Snap Peas. feedme They are completely dry, softly crunchy, and seasoned like with Parmeas..... y'know...that P. cheese. [spelling ain't happening today} They are on the order of potato chips ...but not so crisp. And shaped like peas...not chips.

Anyway, I wonder if You Could Try This At Home? Or if the process involves some industrial equipment.

MtRider [muttering about this not being my clearest post on record...]

Michael,

I have been blanching them and freezing them on baking sheets, then vacuum sealing them into bags. I just would rather can them, but they are done now...At least until the next crop is ready in a couple of weeks. They are great for stir fry, done this way.

Archived