MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Elderberry Syrup

I just made elderberry syrup for the first time. The directions I found said to take 1 tablespoon every day for adults to help prevent flu. :reading: That could come in handy, since apparently it's hitting hard this year.

Can I just stay home until after flu season? :offtobed:

I'm sure my husband will make faces at me and refuse, but I'm planning to do it. :frying pan:

Hopefully nobody will get :fever: .

It sure smells tasty! :feedme:

CG, normally elderberry works a treat for us. Flu is shorter and less severe.

This time around.. not so much.

Current flu is a monster. Just when you think you're recovering, it comes back again.

We're upping the dose of elderberry from 3 to 5 times a day now.

Warning, it may cause cramps so perhaps not suitable for pregnant women or infants. We never had them but apparently you need to put a disclaimer.

I use dried elderberries as well as fresh ones. Just bring to simmer and leave them overnight to get all the working ingredients out. Then proceed to the next stage. Make sure to never boil!

You will need a ratio of ¼ cup of dried elderberries for every two cups of water. You can make more than this amount, but try to maintain this ratio. To help promote maximum extraction, I like to soak the dried berries in water for a few hours first. Overnight in the refrigerator is even better.

Cover the pot loosely with a lid, enough to allow steam to escape, but not too rapidly. Gently simmer the water and berries together over medium-low heat until the liquid volume is reduced by about almost half of the original volume. For a large pot, this make take a few hours. Don’t allow the brew to come to a full rolling boil.

When elderberries are decocted in hot water, you may see a few very small ‘oil slicks’ form on the surface of the water. This is a good thing! The longer the berries cook (over low heat), the more medicinal resin is extracted. To increase the extraction process, stir and mash the berries against the side of the pot with a large spoon from time to time. Don’t try to skim it the oily stuff off, you want it to stay in the brew.

After a few hours, when the liquid in the pot has been reduced by about half of the original volume, allow to cool a little before straining the berries out.

Strain the berries through a colander, taking care to squeeze all the juice and goodness out of the berries. I don’t like to use cheesecloth or any other fabric for straining elderberries because the resins and other medicinal goodies will stick to the cloth.

At this point, if you have opted for the sugar-free preparation you will need to preserve the juice it by freezing it (use within six months), or you can refrigerate it if you can use it within 3 or 4 days.

To make a shelf-stable and self preserving 65% sugar syrup, add 2 1/8 cups of sugar to every cup of elderberry juice. Reheat and stir until all the sugar is completely dissolved.

Pour the hot syrup into hot canning jars that have been sanitized first by boiling in water for at least ten minutes. Jar lids need to be hot, as well. Simmer, do not boil the canning lids. Overheating the canning jar lids at a higher heat than a simmer (about 180*F. or so) may result in a seal failure. After pouring the hot syrup into the hot jars, wipe the jar rim with a clean damp paper towel to ensure nothing is there to interfere with sealing. Fill the jars to about ¼ - ½ inch from the top. Wipe the rim with a piece of a wet paper towel before positioning the lid. Screw on the band firmly and allow the jar to cool slowly. From time to time, you may hear ‘pings’ as the jars cool and a vacuum forms, pulling the lids down tighter.

For longer term storage, I prefer to bump up the sugar concentration a wee bit more to 70% . This translates into adding 2 ¾ cups sugar to every cup of elderberry juice. It may be overkill, but I have never seen a batch of elderberry syrup go bad at this rate.

Although elderberry syrup can last for years, I like to rotate my stock on a 6 month basis for maximum freshness. Store in a cool, dark location.

This copyrighted material may be reprinted by you for noncommercial use, if the following credit is given: This article and recipe is an excerpt from Mrs. Tightwad's Handbook #2: HOW TO MAKE HOME REMEDIES THAT REALLY WORK.

I used the recipe on this site: http://frugallysusta...medicine-chest/

Elderberry Syrup

-1 cup of fresh or 1/2 cup of dried elderberries

-3 cups of water

-1 cup of honey

-2 tablespoons grated ginger (optional as a warming agent but not necessary for effectiveness)

-spices such as whole cloves and cinnamon are optional add-ins as well

Directions: Place berries, ginger (if using), and water in a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and then simmer over low heat for 45 minutes. Smash the berries. Then strain the mixture through a cheesecloth. Add honey. Bottle syrup and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.

Use: Child: Administer 1 teaspoon per day for prevention or 1 teaspoon per waking hour at the onset of cold/flu-like symptoms. Adult: Administer on same schedule, however increase dosage to 1 tablespoon.

Note: Not suitable for children under one year of age.

ETA: I picked up dried elderberries from the health food store. I think I got about a cup for $3 or $4. I added ginger, but I don't have cheesecloth so I just squished the mixture through a fine strainer.

Edited by TheCG

CG, if I may be so bold..

I'd use sugar over honey because of the length of time it needs to be stored.

Also I'd never bring it to the boil. On account of the ingredients being destroyed.

Learned it that way and with the little i know about herbal remedies, not boiling might be better.

The ginger is a good idea. It is anti-bacterial as well and warming. Will add that to the next batch.

Thanks for the recipe.

Honey has a lower sugar content. Than sugar that is :)

The sugar is there to stabilise it and make it drinkable.

It's a narrow margin to make sure it doesn't spoil. That's why I prefer sugar over honey that can vary in sugar percentage.

For DS I make tincture but I don't drink alcohol.

If you don't mind alcohol, Just throw a cup of berries in a bottle or 2/3 full vodka. Keep in a dark place and shake daily.

After 6 weeks strain the berries out and the tincture is ready.

Not sure why but DS sleeps and awful lot when he has flu :)

Dried berries go straight into the bottle. And yes, they get a good squeeze after straining them out.

All the goodness goes into the vodka.

A great drink is elderberry syrup with water, mint leafs and a slice of lemon in a jug. Great for sore throats and you get your medicine at the same time.

Hmmm...I'm thinking elderberries & vodka are the simplest way for me. Just set it on one of my shelves, in sight. Thanks!

Keep like most herbal remedies in the dark please. Sunlight may destroy medicinal properties.

That's why traditionally brown or green bottles were used for medicinal drinks.