MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

BANANA JAM

4 cups prepared fruit (about 11 fully ripe medium bananas) 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice 1 tsp. EVER-FRESH Fruit Protector (optional) 1 box SURE.JELL Fruit Pectin 1/2 tsp. butter or margarine (optional) 6 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl (See tip below.)

Make It

BRING boiling-water canner, half-full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot, soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.

MASH bananas thoroughly. Measure exactly 4 cups prepared fruit into 6- or 8-quart saucepot. Stir lemon juice and fruit protector into prepared fruit in saucepot.

STIR pectin into fruit in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.

STIR in all sugar quickly. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

LADLE quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches; add boiling water if needed. Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

Violet, could the bananas be mixed with starwberries for banana-strawberry jam?

I found this recipe:

Strawberry Banana Jam

Ingredients:

4-3/4 cups prepared fruit (about 2 quarts fully ripe strawberries and 3 fully ripe medium bananas)

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

6-3/4 cups sugar

1 box Sure-Jell fruit pectin

1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine

Cooking Instructions:

Boil jars on rack in large pot filled with water 10 minutes.

Place flat lids in saucepan with water.

Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to fill. Drain well before filling.

Stem and thoroughly crush strawberries, 1 layer at a time. Measure 3-1/4 cups into 6-or 8-quart saucepot.

Mash bananas thoroughly. Measure 1-1/2 cups into strawberries in saucepot.

Stir in lemon juice.

Measure sugar into separate bowl. (Scrape excess sugar from cup with spatula to level for exact measure.)

Stir fruit pectin into fruit in saucepot. Add butter.

Bring to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly.

Quickly stir in all sugar.

Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

Ladle quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly.

It doesn't have processing times (one recipe used paraffin), but I'm guessing 5 min if you sterilize the jars, 10 if you don't?

I have a question, still learning you know, How much will this make? Where it says to get that jars ready, it doesn't say how many or what size.

Is there some trick to "knowing" which ones to use and how many? You know like 1 Tbs of flour to a cup of gravy, that sort of thing.

Violet, could the bananas be mixed with starwberries for banana-strawberry jam?

I found this recipe:

Strawberry Banana Jam

Ingredients:

4-3/4 cups prepared fruit (about 2 quarts fully ripe strawberries and 3 fully ripe medium bananas)

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

6-3/4 cups sugar

1 box Sure-Jell fruit pectin

1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine

Cooking Instructions:

Boil jars on rack in large pot filled with water 10 minutes.

Place flat lids in saucepan with water.

Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to fill. Drain well before filling.

Stem and thoroughly crush strawberries, 1 layer at a time. Measure 3-1/4 cups into 6-or 8-quart saucepot.

Mash bananas thoroughly. Measure 1-1/2 cups into strawberries in saucepot.

Stir in lemon juice.

Measure sugar into separate bowl. (Scrape excess sugar from cup with spatula to level for exact measure.)

Stir fruit pectin into fruit in saucepot. Add butter.

Bring to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly.

Quickly stir in all sugar.

Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

Ladle quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly.

It doesn't have processing times (one recipe used paraffin), but I'm guessing 5 min if you sterilize the jars, 10 if you don't?

I've made 2 batches in 2 days - enough to send a pint for my 1 year old neice and to my parents. It's awesome! THANK YOU so much for sharing this recipe. Banana Jam is next and then Cherry Jam or Preserves (I don't know which one is better).

I've made 2 batches in 2 days - enough to send a pint for my 1 year old neice and to my parents. It's awesome! THANK YOU so much for sharing this recipe. Banana Jam is next and then Cherry Jam or Preserves (I don't know which one is better).

You're welcome. :) I haven't had a chance to make it, the kids keep eating the bananas before they ripen enough!

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Yowza! Mowza! Fantastic! I love it!

That's just how I felt the first time I made it!!

Really, it turns out good? I keep looking at this recipe wondering how on earth it would work. But really, it tastes great? It doesn't turn brown or anything? Okay, I'll have to give it a go. It would definitely make an interesting gift!

Really, it turns out good? I keep looking at this recipe wondering how on earth it would work. But really, it tastes great? It doesn't turn brown or anything? Okay, I'll have to give it a go. It would definitely make an interesting gift!

I had really thought it would turn out more like a butter kind of thing, but it really is like a Jam! It didnt turn brown at all! I did get the fruit fresh and used that. Even after processing it, the heat didnt turn it brown from cooking it or anything. Its awesome!

I am really surprised at it. Really.I kept thinking that I was going to mess it up. I have never made jam or jelly before. I am so pleased with myself.

• 4 months later...