MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My House is Trying to Kill Me

I talked it over with my husband during lunch. We're realizing that most of the days when I've had issues have been hot. That means I didn't turn off the AC and open up the windows like I do on nice days. I didn't do it until late yesterday.

We're still going to check the wall, but we think it might be the ventilation system. If it is, then it's just a matter of either 1) waiting until we have enough money to pay someone to come clean it or 2) asking Mom and Dad for that as my Christmas present - early.

Whatever is in the house is very likely to be in the ducts and the carpet. I eliminated the ducts here. I put in wall electric zone heaters, hard wired thru the breakers. They are nice because you can heat one area and you can have one room (daughter's) a lot warmer than the rest of the house. We use window air.

Hubby will be wearing a mask, and goggles if I can get him too. He figures he'll cut a whole up high. That way, he can just put in the medicine cabinet he wants if there isn't a problem, and if there is a problem, we can spray diluted bleach or something in there to try to reduce its growth rate.

We cut a hole above the toilet (hubby's going to put in a medicine cabinet anyways...). Can't see anything in there but dust and fuzzies. I'm assuming the black woven cloth (yes, I can see that it's woven, not a carpet of mold) is insulation or the vapor barrier?

We're going to get a petri dish from Home Depot tomorrow and let it hang out in there to make sure it's not mold.

I have an air duct cleaning scheduled for November 20 (that's when we'll be able to afford it, and leave the house for a few days to let things settle if need be).

I've been doing fine the last few days, but I've been turning the AC off during the day and it's been cool enough that it doesn't run much at night.

That's good news with him being able to check that out, and that it's a hold he'd have to make anyway for the cabinet, and that the air duct cleaning is not all that long away. One step closer to having this taken care of for you is always a positive.

I wonder if it could be even something related to a filter or something in the actual workings of the a/c unit itself even? Just tossing that out there as an idea because when we took out window a/c unit out, there was some mold starting to grow in there. I am not sure how central air works, but I would think it has to have hardware and filters of some sort, they may be worth checking as well, esp. since you feel better when the a/c is off.

I hope that it's remedied when the cleaning is done so you can feel better,and not have the worry and expense looming like that anymore.

That's good news with him being able to check that out, and that it's a hold he'd have to make anyway for the cabinet, and that the air duct cleaning is not all that long away. One step closer to having this taken care of for you is always a positive.

I wonder if it could be even something related to a filter or something in the actual workings of the a/c unit itself even? Just tossing that out there as an idea because when we took out window a/c unit out, there was some mold starting to grow in there. I am not sure how central air works, but I would think it has to have hardware and filters of some sort, they may be worth checking as well, esp. since you feel better when the a/c is off.

I hope that it's remedied when the cleaning is done so you can feel better,and not have the worry and expense looming like that anymore.

We are changing the filter every month, as the doctor advised me to do after the last bout of pink eye. They are cleaning the mechanical stuff as well. They says it's 100% cleaning efficiency, but for some reason I'm a tiny bit skeptical on that. I said something about wondering why it just started affecting me lately; my husband looked at me like I'm crazy and said that I've been tired and getting sick ever since we moved into the house. Hopefully this will do the trick!

• 2 weeks later...