Tomatoes in the house

11 replies to this topic

#1 PlanoPa

PlanoPa

Still thinking about it...

• Users2
  • 731 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:16 AM

I have a question and i have looked all over this net...maybe one of you can point me in the right directed...I have some very nice looking tomato plants in my garden and i see where next week it will get to 39 at night...i would like to bring one or two in the house for the winter...has anyone tried this? how did it work? can you just dig em up and throw them in a pot????? Q

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:34 AM

Everything I've heard is that it's too big a shock for them, and they won't live.

But I've heard of people who pull the whole plant out (green tomatoes still on) and hang them up-side down in the garage. That way, the plant keeps going just long enough to ripen the remaining tomatoes.

But--- nothing ventured, nothing gained! Try it & see what happens! wink

CAT

#3 Synn

Synn

• Users2
  • 2,226 posts
  • Interests:My Car

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:40 AM

For some reason I was thinking that the vines didn't have that long of a lifespan. I mean even in Florida or California don't you have to plant new plants every now and then?

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:47 AM

I've tried it a number of years and a number of ways. None work very well where we live in Northern Iowa. I've cut all but the pencil size stems, put it in a 5 gallon bucker, put a tomato cage around in and covered with plastsic wrap. I then put it in a big south window AND I've also put grow lights over them. Once in awhile it kind of works. At the most I've gotten 3 tomatoes that weren't very good.

I've also brought the whole plant in with no cutting except to remove the green tomatoes, I've also left the tomatoes on. I've brought them in and cut the green way back. I've tried the lighting both ways and AGAIN there is not enough results to bother with any of it.

This year I have a new experiment going. I've bought seeds for the smallest little cherry tomatoes I could find. Just last week I started them from seed. They don't have but the first little leaves so it'll be awhile before anythings even close to ready with them. I really meant to start them a month ago but just busy with other things.

When they're ready to transplat into soil I plan on keeping some pruned way back, others just a bit and other let go wild and do their thing.

I'll use the artificial lighting and also the south window. By the end of January I should know if this idea has worked. If not, I'll probably give up on tomatoes inside UNLESS another bright idea occurs.

So, with all that said, I simply have not found a way to make it worth bothering with. I live in Zone 4 with very frigid miserable winters with many overcast days.

Now if you want an cheap way to grow green onions that's another story! grin

DEE

#5 ricardo

ricardo

• Users2
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:18 AM

Quote:
Now if you want an cheap way to grow green onions that's another story!

#6 Freetobeme

Freetobeme

• Users2
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:49 PM

We grow tomatoes in the house every winter. If you dig up plants, make sure you dig up enough around the plant to fill a five gallon pot. They require a sunny south facing window, fertilizing every month, and hand pollination unless you have pollinating insects in your house. You take a small paint brush and carefully brush the pollen from the stamens onto the pistils. Tomatoes require warmth and light. The best ones for indoors would be the patio types. I like the Sweet 100's. Here people put in fall tomatoes, so I bought two plants for inside. They have blooms and tomatoes. In fact I have already picked some. Tomatoes are not annuals. If you can keep them from dying over the winter, they will live for several years. My summer tomatoes this year were from year before last. They stayed in the garden and kept producing.

#7 Leia

Leia

• Users2
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 11:04 AM

Quote:
For some reason I was thinking that the vines didn't have that long of a lifespan. I mean even in Florida or California don't you have to plant new plants every now and then?
Shawna

#8 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,650 posts
  • Interests:Crafts, cooking & baking, parenting... Oh, LOTS of stuff!!

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:41 AM

cat.jpg

Where words and actions disagree, the heart is revealed.

Look how often the unexpected happens... and we still don't expect it.

#9 quiltys41

quiltys41

Southern Belle by choice

• Users2
  • 1,839 posts
  • Interests:Quilting and fishing, gardening, family, God, prepping

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:31 AM

Cat? Funny you bumped this! 4 years later and I am just now getting around to starting a couple of plants in July so that I can get them big enough to pot up and bring inside for the winter. I am going to hang one and set the other one in the same south facing window. I may give them a shot of miracle gro before bringing them in too. I also have a light to use on them for the extra cloudy days. smile.gif

Q
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis

#10 urbanforager

urbanforager

New Friend

• Users2
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:gardening, baking, hunting, writing, wild food foraging, herbal wellness, etc!

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:51 PM

I think this weekend will be the last good couple of days for garden work. I'll be bringing my tomato plant in, probably on Sunday. I had shoveled out the bottom few inches of my compost bin during the summer, plopped the shovelsful into a bucket, then forgot about the whole thing in favor of other garden duties. A week later or so, I noticed that a couple of plants had volunteered and were growing in the compost bucket! I didn't have the heart to toss it all on the garden after that, of course. The cucumber plant has, alas, faded away, but the tomato plant is still growing. I think I'll give it a fighting chance by bringing it indoors and sticking it under the grow light. I'm pleased to have a tomato plant already in a bucket -- one that I didn't have to stress by digging it up!
"Either you're a person wondering if you have a soul, or you're a soul who knows that being a person isn't real." -- Deepak Chopra, from Why Is God Laughing?

publishing at www.sylviashults.com

#11 KimMC

KimMC

Family Member

• Users2
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, cooking, crafts, biking, hiking

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:08 PM

This fall I took 3 cuttings from some tomato plants. Only one took. But it's doing fairly well and starting to flower. Considering it's not getting as much light as it should. I had planned to grow them in our sun porch, but dh hasn't finished the renovations in there yet. So it's in my south facing kitchen window. That would be good BUT there is a 6 acre pine bush beside us. So it doesn't get much light. rolleyes.gif

#12 ScrubbieLady

ScrubbieLady

Family Member

• Users2
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

I read about someone who would pinch off suckers from his tomato plants in the fall and pot them and take them in. He didn't mention a lot about tomatoes in the winter but did say that he had the same tomato plants (via suckers) for several years.

I would think with a little extra work you could do it. It would be like growing them in a greenhouse. Peppers can be brought in also.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users