MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pink Eye

Guest Guest

Anyone know of any natural way to rid pink eye? I think I might have gotten a bacterial infection in my right eye...it's a little swollen, all red and oozing yellowish goop (yuck)...

One of the best was to help releve/rid yourself of pink eye is Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo. The high ph in the shampoo helps with the bacteria build up and puss irratation.

Similasan Pink Eye Relief

http://www.webvitamins.com/product.aspx?id...&term=yahoo

Pink Eye Info

Pink eye, or Conjunctivitis, is a common eye ailment that has effected many of us. It is caused by an infection or inflammation of the conjunctiva. Pink eye usually is caused by either bacterial, viral, or all allergic factors. Although pink eye is not a serious eye disease, the viral and bacterial causes need to be treated.

Pink eye results in redness, irritation, or inflammation of the conjunctiva. The conjunctiva usually reacts to bacteria, viruses, allergy causing agents, irritants, or diseases of other parts of the body. Viral Conjunctivitis is usually caused by viruses that spread from other different ailments like colds, sore throats, respiratory infections and others. Bacterial Conjunctivitis is caused by certain types of bacteria that have made their way to the eye. Common bacteria include staphylococci and streptococci. Allergic Conjunctivitis is caused by allergic reactions to different substances such as fumes, cosmetics, medication, and many others. Pink eye usually effects people who have allergic conditions.

Pink Eye Symptoms-

Viral Conjunctiva Symptoms

*Watery eyes accompanied with discharge

*Irritation

*Usually starts with one eye and can spread

*Contagious

Bacterial Conjunctiva Symptoms

*Watery eyes accompanied with yellow or green discharge

*Irritation

*Usually starts with one eye and can spread

*Contagious

Allergic Conjunctiva Symptoms

*Heavy tearing

*Irritation and itchiness

*Usually effects both eyes

*Non-Contagious

Pink Eye Treatment Options-

Viral Conjunctiva Treatment

*Usually does not require medication except in small children

*Special pink eye drops can help relieve inflammation

*Children should see a doctor for pink eye treatment

Bacterial Conjunctiva Treatment

*Antibiotics are used to kill the infection

*Antibiotic ointments or a warm wash cloth can be used to dissolve the discharge

Allergic Conjunctiva Treatment

*Anti-inflammatory medications

*Antihistamine medication and eye drops

*Eye drops that relieve redness and itching

Pink Eye - Preventive Measures

*Wash hands frequently

*Do not share towels, washcloths, or other wipes

*Disinfect commonly touched areas such as doorknobs, remotes, etc.

*People wearing contact lenses should discontinue use if infected and possibly replace contacts.

*Avoid sharing items that come in contact with the eyes such as eye drops, eyeliners, goggles, etc.

Homeopathically

Homeopathically, there are a number of acute remedies designed to treat conjunctivitis. These include Pulsatilla (windflower, Pulsatilla nigricans), Belladonna, and eyebright (Euphrasia officinalis). Eye drops, prepared with homeopathic remedies and/or herbs, can be a good substitute for pharmaceutical eye drops. Eye washes can also be made. Herbal eyewashes made with eyebright (1 tsp. dried herb steeped in 1 pint of boiling water) or chamomile (Matricaria recutita; 2-3 tsp. in 1 pint of boiling water) may be helpful. Eyewashes should be strained and cooled before use, and close attention should be paid to make sure that any solution put into the eye is sterile.

Other simple home remedies may help relieve the discomfort associated with conjunctivitis. A boric acid eyewash can be used to clean and soothe the eyes. A warm compress applied to the eyes for five to 10 minutes three times a day can help relieve the discomfort of bacterial and viral conjunctivitis. A cool compress or cool, damp tea bags placed on the eyes can ease the discomfort of allergic conjunctivitis.

It is the tanin in the tea bags that helps most eye infections.

(You have been on antibiotics for your surgery so I would suggest that you did not replenish the acidophlus in your system.) Yeast infections can cause many of these problems.

Well thank goodness I went to the eye doctor yesterday...he was quite upset at me for waiting 24 hours (rolling eyes)...

It apears I have 3 ulcerated places on my eye and needed medicine that has anti-bacterial properties and steroid properties too. He wanted to go into detail as to exactly what was going on with my eye, I didn't wanna hear it so I just burst into tears (that made my eye feel better lol) so he kinda backed off and said everything would be ok. That's all I wanted to know.

I'm supposed to go see him again today so that he can see how I fared yesterday with the medicine...the medicine is helping for sure...the goop has slowed down but it still hurts alot to blink.

Sometimes I feel it's never ending...if it's not one thing, it's another.

Archived