Photo

If Others see and know..............................................

26 replies to this topic

#1 Fatherof4

Fatherof4

Family Member

• Users2
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:58 PM

Ok so we got our garden going we have the solar panels all ready to go........ we even got a water hand pump to pull in water...THEN all our preps pay off...the ballon goes up...and at first everything is fine then.....when the food starts getting short.. everybody in the area remembers the crazy guy down the street with the solar panels and garden and they all think DING!!!! FOOD>>>>POWER>>>>>WATER>>>>>>
It could get ugly folks... real ugly....remember if it get really bad it will be like a light house in a storm....
everybody is gonna know what you got...

#2 Grubby

Grubby

Honored Family Member

• Users2
  • 760 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:57 AM

Some new people moved on the road that my parents live on
and I noticed something that they did....

They are also into prepping, I know, I know the kind of
things to look for.

They planted sunflowers along the front of their garden,
running along the road. You couldn't even tell their was
a garden behind it. Very cleaver!

Plant lots of sunflowers!

#3 Schoolmarm

Schoolmarm

Family Member

• Users2
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:58 AM

Quote:
Some new people moved on the road that my parents live on
and I noticed something that they did....

They are also into prepping, I know, I know the kind of
things to look for.

#4 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,628 posts
  • Interests:Crafts, cooking & baking, parenting... Oh, LOTS of stuff!!

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:59 AM

A biiiiig dog works well...

cat.jpg

Where words and actions disagree, the heart is revealed.

Look how often the unexpected happens... and we still don't expect it.

#5 Kaye

Kaye

Family Member

• Users2
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:46 AM

Cat, I love the idea of the dog house! I already have several dogs, but it would be a great idea to place them where they would scare people off if something happens. But for people who don't own a dog, that would really work!

Kaye

#6 Mother

Mother

Honored Family Member

• Users2
  • 5,756 posts
  • Interests:Early American life and skills, writing, native plants and wildlife, medicinal and kitchen herbs, gardening, lots more.....

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:01 AM

Um, Cat? Wouldn't the geese look like FOOD to most people?

#7 Grubby

Grubby

Honored Family Member

• Users2
  • 760 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:26 AM

We have a gate that closes off our driveway and it's
connected to a wooden fence then on to regular fence
wire.

We took electric fence wire and attached it in between
the wooden planks and in between the gate rungs and
everyone, I mean everyone thinks that it's got current
going through it!

As for hiding things like water barrels I would use bushes.
Bushes will hid a lot of things.

#8 westbrook

westbrook

Honored Family Member

• Users2
  • 10,608 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Collecting vintage patterns cira 1920-1950, vintage sewing machines, gardening, cooking, writing, farming and ranching

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:35 AM

sure geese looks like food... but if I am really hungry... you would look like food to me too!

I am pretty cool with dying, just another adventure in my souls journey on its path toward enlightenment.

"Is this the kind of Change you wanted?"

#9 cookiejar

cookiejar

Honored Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,331 posts
  • Interests:Art, Books, Humor, Working with teens on the side

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:02 PM

Psssssssst mother...
Seriously though, I'm thinking of putting a false bookcase over a door to a small space I have. If you've heard how a lightweight false front is done let me know.The door is average sized run of the mill home depot kind.I'm going to knick knack the shelf so would be thieve's eyes would slide right over it. dopey idea or good?

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words. ~National Review

#10 Bookworm

Bookworm

Family Member

• Users2
  • 951 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:31 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me Cookiejar! I'll be looking into this too

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

#11 mistylady

mistylady

Family Member

• Users2
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:09 PM

Just an idea about hiding a door. We have some solid backed shelves (the backs are cardboard that looks like wood) that are almost as tall as a door - I think we bought them at Big Lots. If you can get a shelf that covers the major part of the door you can put plants of the top to cover any of the door that sitcks up above it. And some tall plants at the sides of the shelf will hide the edge if it sitcks out. Some plants that hang over the edge of the shelf would disguise any edges too. I just love plants!

The shelves we have are not easy to move around but I have seen these glider things that you can put under shelves and heavy things to make them easy to move and they are not very tall so they would't look obvious. Walmart had some that were very thin.

Good luck with the project!

#12 ROSARYCHAPLET

ROSARYCHAPLET

learning the ropes family member

• Users2
  • 726 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

consider starting a bartering system. YOU make the profit from those who were foolish enough to not be ready. personally i think everyone should have one vegetable growing in their backyard. and one fruit tree, as well. i also think vocational/adult schools can teach a course in self sufficient living. that would be a good name for it. under it would fall ecology, survival, roughing it, etc...

what do you think?

#13 Ogre

Ogre

Family Member

• Users2
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Reiki Teacher,bouzouki player reading & music

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:52 PM

This is an idea for a concealed store we put together.

SN850149.JPG

The cover is hidden hinged

SN850150.JPG

Then it was clad and varnished to match the rest of the interior.

SN850151.JPG

Ogre
www.survivaluk.myfreeforum.org (we SUK so you don't have to)

#14 ROSARYCHAPLET

ROSARYCHAPLET

learning the ropes family member

• Users2
  • 726 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:41 AM

WELL, Borrowing from the idea here... we bought an envelope of seeds. they have 65 in them. we prepared an area for them to be planted today. tomorrow we will plant them.

#15 dogmom4

dogmom4

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 5,536 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, dogs, preparing for whatever comes...

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:42 PM

bump

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

#16 rainygardener

rainygardener
  • Users2
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Healthcare field, landscaping, heirloom vegetable gardening, prepping and sharing self reliance.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

Psssssssst mother...
Seriously though, I'm thinking of putting a false bookcase over a door to a small space I have. If you've heard how a lightweight false front is done let me know.The door is average sized run of the mill home depot kind.I'm going to knick knack the shelf so would be thieve's eyes would slide right over it. dopey idea or good?

Really cool idea!

#17 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,992 posts
  • Interests:horses, rural living

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

Just be sure to lock the door. Cuz this idea is becoming all too common. If thieves were in a hurry, it would be too much for them to bother searching out all that but....

MtRider :ph34r:
Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#18 PEARL89

PEARL89
  • Users2
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

Psssssssst mother...

Really cool idea!

Have you looked on Instructables.com I know they have several hidden doorways and closets . Great directions on PDF; as well as fabulous ideas for
just about anything from fencing to "fencing" (like in the Olympics) from Halloween to electronic wonders.

I consider it a Go-To site for Preppers.

#19 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

At the "homestead" we have an old walk-in closet (about 8x10) off one of the bedrooms. I'm going to have MM put in a false "wall" with a door that will look like a shoe rack. Have him cover the edges with decorative-type molding to make the "shoe rack" look cutesy and still not reveal that it's covering a door. If someone walks into the closet, they'll see 2 rods down each side and the "shoe rack" on the back wall. That will give me lots of room for shelving for a hidden pantry. We'll also have other areas in the house, but this one will be very discreet! He's a retired builder and is really good at laying out what I want...and then building it.

(formerly known as Philbe)

Matthew 6:11  "Give us this day our daily bread...amen." 

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

#20 CrabGrassAcres

CrabGrassAcres

Munchie Mama

• Users2
  • 8,310 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Remove the sheet rock or paneling from any standard 2x4 stud wall. Fasten 1x2's on the outer edge of the stud. Put 1x4 shelves between the studs. Now make a ceiling to floor shelving unit that has a fully covered back and is on wheels or hinges so you can swing it away from the wall to expose the shelves in back. A sheet of paneling over the wall in addition will give more secrecy if someone actually moved the shelf unit. With only a 1inch thickness added, it will not be obvious that the rear wall is thick enough to hide anything, but you can put qt canning jars one deep on those shelves.
"Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed." Ps 57:1

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise,making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. " Eph 5:15,16

"Do not be afraid because of the words that you have heard" 2 Kings 19:6
Posted Image

Have you hugged your goose today?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users