Photo

If Others see and know..............................................

26 replies to this topic

#21 kappydell

kappydell

Family Member

• Users2
  • 1,009 posts
  • Interests:self reliance; lo-tech living; cooking, crafts, anything to do with food!!, camping, livestock, garden & orchard, hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, etc.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

Very nice, crabby - I used that concept to put a compartment behind my medicine chest (really a cabinet on the wall). I hinged the medicine chest on one side to swing out. Makes a nice med sized hidden compartment.

#22 ScrubbieLady

ScrubbieLady

Family Member

• Users2
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Good idea

#23 lumabean

lumabean
  • Users2
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

I saw an idea on tv the other day (on one of the new Doomsday prepper episodes, I confess :blush: ). the idea was pretty neat though -- the fella had a 'safe' for a box spring for his bed. It I am sure was expensive, it looked sturdy, had a lock and such. However, I started thinking that there could be a way to convert a regular old box spring (now I think they just call them 'foundations" .. at least that's what the lady called them when we got a new set a few years ago ... anyhoo...). Our box spring/foundation is in two parts (we rent, and in our previous apartment, a standard queen size wouldn't fit around the corner in the stairwell so the furniture store lady suggested the two parter after that). Our cat clawed off some of the black material beneath it, and I noticed there's some decent storage room in there! I started thinking, I could probably take each of the two sections, overturn them, fill them with lighter weight stuff (since they'd have to be lifted back on to the bed frame rails) and then since I'd need something other than flimsy fabric to hold it all in, maybe some plywood stapled/nailed in to place.

I figure if the roaming hoardes or whomever ever come, and ransack, they'd maybe throw the mattress off thinking we'd have money or something hidden beneath the mattress or bed, but I wonder if they'd think of the box spring/foundation?

Hmmm... this is something I'm giving a lot of thought to. We're short on storage space as it is, this could possibly work. (at least that's what I am thinking at the moment)

#24 lovinit

lovinit

Family Member

• Users2
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

I was at "coffee row" in our small town cafe yesterday. People there were making crude remarks about a fellow in town who is a Survivalist. The gossips "knew" he had a store of water and would be "down in his basement bunker with his water jugs when the end of the world comes". They were all so cruel. I found it difficult to defend this person and his reasoning for fear of having my own status as a prepper become more fuel for the fire. It hurt to hear the taunts. I had such mixed thoughts about it---- like why couldn't he have kept quiet about his prepping, to wondering if I should talk to him, or maybe not, he might give out information about us.........

Part of it I know, is that because my dh is only just coming FULLY board with my prepping I wonder how much HE says on coffee row too. I ask him not to say anything but sometimes he doesn't seem to hear what I say, or realise the seriousness of it all. WHAT TO DO?

I need to go back in the form to be reminded of how to deal with these situations.

#25 CrabGrassAcres

CrabGrassAcres

Munchie Mama

• Users2
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

I saw an idea on tv the other day (on one of the new Doomsday prepper episodes, I confess :blush: ). the idea was pretty neat though -- the fella had a 'safe' for a box spring for his bed. It I am sure was expensive, it looked sturdy, had a lock and such. However, I started thinking that there could be a way to convert a regular old box spring (now I think they just call them 'foundations" .. at least that's what the lady called them when we got a new set a few years ago ... anyhoo...). Our box spring/foundation is in two parts (we rent, and in our previous apartment, a standard queen size wouldn't fit around the corner in the stairwell so the furniture store lady suggested the two parter after that). Our cat clawed off some of the black material beneath it, and I noticed there's some decent storage room in there! I started thinking, I could probably take each of the two sections, overturn them, fill them with lighter weight stuff (since they'd have to be lifted back on to the bed frame rails) and then since I'd need something other than flimsy fabric to hold it all in, maybe some plywood stapled/nailed in to place.

I figure if the roaming hoardes or whomever ever come, and ransack, they'd maybe throw the mattress off thinking we'd have money or something hidden beneath the mattress or bed, but I wonder if they'd think of the box spring/foundation?

Hmmm... this is something I'm giving a lot of thought to. We're short on storage space as it is, this could possibly work. (at least that's what I am thinking at the moment)

What I would suggest would be to make two plywood boxes, open on top, and put those on the bed frame. Cover the sides with quilted material from the fabric store. Make a lid from plywood, cover it with the same fabric and set it in place then put the mattress on top. You might find a way to fasten the plywood top down, but I think if someone was turning mattresses and foundations over, they are going to find your stash anyhow so it probably isn't really necessary to go to the extra trouble. Just be sure you can lift the top off easily.

You might also want to make something to slide under the bed to store things in as well.
"Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed." Ps 57:1

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise,making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. " Eph 5:15,16

"Do not be afraid because of the words that you have heard" 2 Kings 19:6
Posted Image

Have you hugged your goose today?

#26 Christy

Christy

Family Friend

• Users2
  • 1,515 posts
  • Interests:The outdoors, dogs, crafts, anything you can do with yarn, fabric and cloth. History, people and the way people stay the same through out the ages.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

I have a good reply to the original poster. Starting a new thread about it in fact.
She looked at the wolf with a sweet smile . The wolf asked what was in her basket. `Food for Grandmother`she said..
She then opened her basket and took out a sawn off shotgun.
A few days later she walked through the woods in her new wolfskin furcoat...

Lesson learned, so not mess with girls who are brave enough to go into the woods on their own.

#27 rainygardener

rainygardener
  • Users2
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Healthcare field, landscaping, heirloom vegetable gardening, prepping and sharing self reliance.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

consider starting a bartering system. YOU make the profit from those who were foolish enough to not be ready. personally i think everyone should have one vegetable growing in their backyard. and one fruit tree, as well. i also think vocational/adult schools can teach a course in self sufficient living. that would be a good name for it. under it would fall ecology, survival, roughing it, etc...

what do you think?

Our town community school started old fashion living classes that are really inexpensive and some are free. I was thrilled to see it, I feel alone in prepping in my town. I hope to se more gardens and fruit trees around, I certainly have planted tons of fruit and berries myself.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users