Wheat to flour conversion

28 replies to this topic

#1 ArmyOfFive4God

ArmyOfFive4God

My life is carob....

• Users2
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:59 PM

I had asked quite some time ago (I think it was on here) if anyone knew how many pounds of flour you would store to equal the amount of wheat that the food calculators tell you to store. I googled it again tonight, with little hope of finding it (as at the time, no one knew the answer & it wasn't to be found on google. Of course that's not to say it wasn't answered sooner or later & lost in the new threads, as I was gone for awhile). I found the following info on http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/aawf/July/july_5.htm. Finally my questions are answered. I figured for all of you who were in the same wonderment as me, this would be useful info for those storing flour as opposed to wheat. So basically you need 3/4 pounds of flour that it says you need wheat (if I'm doing my math right). If it says I need 100 pounds of what, I would need 75 pounds of flour, right?

Quote:
How many pounds of flour will a bushel of wheat produce? Generally, a 60 pound bushel of wheat will produce about 45 pounds of flour and 15 pounds of millfeed. Millfeed includes the bran, shorts, and germ that can be feed to livestock.

(After I typed the above, I continued to look)

From answers.com:

Quote:
Using standard milling procedures, 100 pounds of wheat yielded approximately 72 pounds of white flour.

From http://www.bakingandbakingscience.com/

Quote:
100 poundsof wheat will produce about 72 pounds of straight flour. Straightflour is simular to all purpose flour found in grocer stores.

Now I noticed several sites said the 72 to 100 pound product, so I'll stick with ABOUT 3/4.

:canning: Living Vicariously Vintage... Because Life is delicious! :canning:

#2 nmchick

nmchick

Family Member

• Users2
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:15 PM

Ummm, Kayla, I'm confuzzed. Are you going to turn your wheat berries in to refined flour some how?

If you're just going to mill it into flour, 5 lbs of wheat berries should yield about 5 pounds of whole wheat flour, depending on how much you spill, etc.
"Create crisis. Grab power. Repeat."

#3 ArmyOfFive4God

ArmyOfFive4God

My life is carob....

• Users2
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:16 PM

I'm not storing wheat. I don't have the room. But I am storing flour which is why I wanted to know.

#4 Grace&Violets

Grace&Violets

Family Member

• Users2
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for finding this. I have only been storing flour, so far, so this is good to know. As soon as I have a grain mill, I will be storing whole grains, but until then this will help a lot!

#5 nmchick

nmchick

Family Member

• Users2
  • 630 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:12 AM

Sorry, still confused. Seems like if you store five pounds of flour, you've got the name nutrition as 5 pounds of wheat berries. (Ok, less nutrition if you're storing white flour, but more or less the same number of calories, right?)

So, if the calculator says store 100 pounds of wheat, you should store 100 pounds of flour?

Apologies in advance for my denseness.

#6 westbrook

westbrook

Honored Family Member

• Users2
  • 10,608 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Collecting vintage patterns cira 1920-1950, vintage sewing machines, gardening, cooking, writing, farming and ranching

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:29 AM

flour gets rancid so storing flour for long term is wasted money. If you have the room to store flour then you have the room to store whole wheat. What is the difference in 25 pounds?

and all those figures still won't add up. You purchase flour... where is all the nutrition? you are missing all of the good stuff you get from Whole Wheat flour! so if you decide to store WW flour, you are back storing pound for pound! If you still are storing refined flour you will need to make up the vitamins and minerals you are lacking.

>scratching head<

When the calculator says 300 pounds per person per year they mean every ounce of it!... and then some. That figure is just a minimum requirement. Isn't it better to error on the side of more rather then less?

By storing whole wheat berries stored, I am able to sprout them to make a salad, cook them like a vegetable, grind them up and add to bread. Spouts are full of so many vitamins and minerals as well as enzymes .. here is the first link I came across when I was looking for post what sprouts contain.. http://www.godsdirectcontact.com/vegetarian/abc/sprouts.htm

I am.... better off in the long run storing whole grains then already ground flour.

I am lazy, I want to store my 4 basics to survive and never mess with them again, unless of course I need it. I don't want to mess around with storing 225 pounds of flour that I *have* to use up or it will go bad.. I would rather store 75 more pounds of whole wheat the can be stored forever and that is that!

Here is the difference in Whole Wheat vs Refined Flour
http://waltonfeed.com/grain/flour.html

*shrug*

I am pretty cool with dying, just another adventure in my souls journey on its path toward enlightenment.

"Is this the kind of Change you wanted?"

#7 anrol5

anrol5

Family Member

• Users2
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:20 AM

Kayla

> I'm not storing wheat. I don't have the room.

NmChick, your not the only one that is confused. I find that Wheat berries take up less room than flour. When I grind whole grains into flour, I start with volume X of grains, and end up with flour that is 2X in volume.

So in my world, and I may inhabit an alternative universe, I need less storage space, to store whole grains and a grain grinder.

Yes I do have some flour, for convenience, but not huge quantities.

Anrol

#8 Safety Lady 2

Safety Lady 2

Family Member

• Users2
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:kids, food, dog, gardening

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:04 AM

You can sprout wheat berries and have a whole new class of food that is nutrition packed. I have flour and wheat berries stored. My wheat berries were given to me by a LDS friend who was moving. They are 25 years old and packed in nitrogen. They still sprout.

#9 nmchick

nmchick

Family Member

• Users2
  • 630 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:31 PM

Kayla, I can understand why you are storing flour. I've got some flour too. But, I'm a little worried about your thinking on storing less flour than you would of wheat berries. If the calculator says you need a pound of wheat for one day, 3/4 pound of flour just isn't going to fill your tummy. That pound of wheat would have turned in to a pound of flour in a home grinder, not 3/4 pound.

Ackk, now I get it. Your going to store 3/4 of the recommended amount in white flour and 1/4 the recommended amount in wheat germ, etc.?

Maybe I am slightly more awake today. smile

#10 mommato3boys

mommato3boys

19th century girl stuck in the 21st century

• Users2
  • 4,551 posts
  • Interests:digging in the dirt, camping, reading, crafts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:58 PM

help Okay since I have no dealings with wheat berries (other than feeding them the animals a long time ago) I am totally confused.

So if I grind a cup of wheat berries I will have a cup of whole wheat flour correct? I thought it would take more berries to make a cup of flour.

I don't know I am sooo confussled shrug
Posted Image
wife to a darling man since 1981 and mother to 3 wonderful young men.
http://muffiesplace.blogspot.com
Don't tick off a redhead it very well could be the last thing you ever do.

#11 anrol5

anrol5

Family Member

• Users2
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:28 PM

mommato3boys

How can I explain it? I take a small dish, and weigh out 200grams of wheat berries. I put the wheat berries in a grinder, and have to empty the small dish into a larger bowl, because the flour threatens to overflow, all over the work surface.

ie I start with one cup of wheat berries, and end up with about 2 cups of whole wheat flour.

Just my experiences

Anrol

#12 ArmyOfFive4God

ArmyOfFive4God

My life is carob....

• Users2
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:04 PM

OK, well according to the sites, there is some leftover that is for feed purposes, so I'm just as confused as you NMC. I had stated a while back that I'm not too familiar with wheat, so I was storing flour, cornmeal, oats, etc (I searched for the question of conversion & haven't found it yet, again, if it was even on this site, but that's how I found my previous post). When you store wheat is EVERY single bit of it for human consumption?

#13 nmchick

nmchick

Family Member

• Users2
  • 630 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:16 PM

Yes, what I store is called wheat berries and it's all for human consumption. It's just wheat seeds. Throw it in the grinder and you get whole wheat flour. Plant it, and you get wheat grass that you can eat or juice. (Trimming the wheat grass is great kid entertainment.) Soak in hot water and cook like oatmeal for breakfast cereal. Wheat berries keep for years.

And the freshly ground whole wheat flour has all kinds of nutrients that disappear after a few days, so it's supposed to be much better than store bought whole wheat flour. A friend of mine mills her flour fresh every time she make bread.

To make white flour, they've got to take out the wheat germ and the outside seed coat of each wheat grain, (the bran?). I'm guessing they can't sell all of that as wheat germ or bran, so they feed to to animals. That'd be pretty nutritious feed!

The thing I can't do from my wheat berries is make white flour. I don't know how you'd do that at home. But, my kids won't even eat white rice anymore. They complain that it doesn't have any taste. smile I'm not too worried about feeding them whole wheat.

#14 ArmyOfFive4God

ArmyOfFive4God

My life is carob....

• Users2
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:54 PM

We do a LOT of whole wheat around here as well, and I don't buy white bread when I do buy bread. My kids love the wheat bread, muffins, etc that I make & they have never qualmed about brown rice.

I do wish I could afford a wheat grinder, but at the mo it's not in the budget frown I'd heard about the berries, and that you could soak them & eat them.

THNX for talking to me about this!

#15 nmchick

nmchick

Family Member

• Users2
  • 630 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:59 PM

I know what you mean about the flour mill. They are pricey. We did buy one, but only after we could find no brown rice flour at all in town last winter after our storms. (DS can't eat wheat and he needs his bread!) I did the arithmetic. It saves us about $0.30 a pound on rice flour, so we make back the price of the mill in about 5 years.

I found this on the nutritional quality of flour

http://waltonfeed.com/grain/flour.html

So, if you're storing white flour, you get about 10% more calories per pound as compared to whole wheat flour, but a lot less B vitamins. You aren't gonna starve, but you'd want to be sure to stock those vitamin pills.

Since 100 pounds of white flour would have the calories of 110 pounds of whole wheat, if you store white flour, you could store 10/11 of the amount recommended for whole wheat. But that only gets you the calories.

#16 ArmyOfFive4God

ArmyOfFive4God

My life is carob....

• Users2
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:17 PM

Hey, that's not too bad for me. I take vit-B complex! LOL

THNX for the link. My back is starting to hurt again, so I'm going to go lie down & finish watching Bedknobs & Broomsticks with the kiddlin's and check the link out later!

#17 westbrook

westbrook

Honored Family Member

• Users2
  • 10,608 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Collecting vintage patterns cira 1920-1950, vintage sewing machines, gardening, cooking, writing, farming and ranching

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:19 PM

let me see if I can help....

a pound of wheat is a pound of wheat.. won't matter if it is whole or ground.. it still weighs a pound!

a cup of wheat berries is roughly 8 ounces, grind them up and while they may be more then the cup they still weigh 8 ounces.

I am pretty cool with dying, just another adventure in my souls journey on its path toward enlightenment.

"Is this the kind of Change you wanted?"

#18 ArmyOfFive4God

ArmyOfFive4God

My life is carob....

• Users2
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:40 PM

Yes, west I know. Same as if you have a pound of feathers & a pound of bricks, which is heavier. I know that. That wasn't what I was getting at.

#19 PoGo

PoGo
  • Users2
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: ArmyOfFive4God
Yes, west I know. Same as if you have a pound of feathers & a pound of bricks, which is heavier. I know that. That wasn't what I was getting at.

I think westbrook was answering mommato3boys question.

#20 ArmyOfFive4God

ArmyOfFive4God

My life is carob....

• Users2
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:28 AM

See, now? We're all confused rofl

Sorry!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users