#1 cookiejar

cookiejar

Honored Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,331 posts
  • Interests:Art, Books, Humor, Working with teens on the side

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:17 PM

How to Turn a Closet Door into a Bookcase
Learn how to convert an existing door into a bookcase; includes step-by-step instructions along with tips, materials, and tools lists.
Okay, my obssesion for the *hidden* closet disguised as a bookcase has resurfaced. grin But, this is a detailed account of how they did it! The site is detailed with pics and has a list of materials.

Snip:
This HouseCall request took Ron to the Albuquerque home of Phil and Arlene Safier. The Safiers had a little problem in their guest bedroom that needed Ron's attention. Two rather unattractive closet doors broke up the wall and the Safier's hoped to replace these with doors that would double as display cases. The idea was both functional and very attractive and Ron was happy to help.

http://www.ronhazelton.com/howto/Closet_Door_Shelves_2.htm

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words. ~National Review

#2 Belle

Belle

Family Member

• Users2
  • 469 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:43 PM

Cookie, I've always wanted one of those, too! Here is what I have in mind~

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Hidd...kcase_Door.html
Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics.

#3 okiecountrygirl

okiecountrygirl

Family Member

• Users2
  • 217 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:47 PM

In my house that is being built right now, I have a door like this going down the hallway by my kitchen that goes into a hidden pantry (6 x 9). It's deep enough to put cookbooks on, the light turns off when the door closes.

#4 Deb2of9

Deb2of9

Family Member

• Users2
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Reading, All types of crafts, I mostly knit and crochet. Mostly I like to spend time with my family.

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:51 PM

I like the idea of a bookcase that holds cookbooks as a door to a hidden pantry. I think that and maybe even a cabinet built in to the bottom for large pieces of kitchen gadgets you don't want to keep out. It would be practical and serve dual purpose.

#5 Belle

Belle

Family Member

• Users2
  • 469 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

I love the idea of a secret door to a secret room, too! What a great way to thwart thieves and snoops! We're about to redo our storage room. This is definitely something I want to discuss with hubby! The hallway the door is on is wide enough that we could install bookcases along one wall, which would also give me some much-needed book storage (I've used up every inch of space in the livingroom with bookcases, already)

#6 cookiejar

cookiejar

Honored Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,331 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Belle
I love the idea of a secret door to a secret room, too! What a great way to thwart thieves and snoops! We're about to redo our storage room. This is definitely something I want to discuss with hubby! The hallway the door is on is wide enough that we could install bookcases along one wall, which would also give me some much-needed book storage (I've used up every inch of space in the livingroom with bookcases, already)

Oh my friends,
if you love secret places, you'll love this thread I had here from a while ago.

2783" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...ge=8#Post102783

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words. ~National Review

#7 Belle

Belle

Family Member

• Users2
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:35 AM

Cookie, those were freakin' awesome! I loved the Sherlock Holmes book to open the secret passageway and, on the videos, when the staircase opened, I half expected fire to come out of it, like on the Munsters! LOL

We're planning on building a house in a couple of years (I'm designing it now) and you can bet some of these ideas are going to end up in my plans!

#8 cookiejar

cookiejar

Honored Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,331 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 07:37 PM

For my newbies that were interested in alternative storage..

wink

bump

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users