MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Rice recipes

As a side dish...

We call it "Onion Rice" and my children adore it.

Melt some butter or fat in a sauce pan...maybe a Tbsp per cup of dry rice.

Fry dry brown rice in fat until it starts to brown and smell yummy.

Add meat or vegetable broth...two cups per cup of dry rice. (You could use bouillion and water if you want to.)

Quickly also add 1 Tbsp dried minced onion per cup of dry rice, and salt as desired. I use 1/4 tsp per cup of dry rice.

Cover the pan, turn down the burner and let simmer for 45 minutes. Total prep time is close to an hour.

http://www.y2kkitchen.com/html/asparagus_soup.html

Asparagus Soup

submitted by Carolyn

"I have a thing that I do with Cream of Asparagus soup that I think would work out well for Y2K and it is really good. You could use any kind of creamed soup. I use asparagus because my husband got 2 cases for some reason and I couldn't stand the stuff just plain. You could use any kind of rice or maybe even pasta or whatever and any kind of veggies that suit you. Probably could use bouillon cubes but they are too salty for me. I have also used the Campbell's beef consommé or chicken broth but like the beef best. Just play around with it and change to your own taste."

1 can of double strength canned beef broth

1 can water

1/2 cup rice

1 medium onion, diced (or dehydrated onion)

1 or 2 cans cream of asparagus soup or any soup

water or milk as required for cream soup

vegetables, fresh or canned (celery if you have it)

Put it all in a pot and cook until rice is soft. Thin to desired thickness with milk or water.

Fried Rice - a Basic Recipe for Fried Rice

Serves 4 to 6

This is a basic recipe for fried rice that you can add to as desired. If adding other ingredients, increase the number of eggs to 3.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 - 2 green onions, as desired

* 2 large eggs

* 1 teaspoon salt

* Pepper to taste

* 4 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, or as needed

* 4 cups cold cooked rice

* 1 - 2 tablespoons light soy sauce or oyster sauce, as desired

PREPARATION:

Wash and finely chop the green onion. Lightly beat the eggs with the salt and pepper.

Heat a wok or frying pan and add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the eggs. Cook, stirring, until they are lightly scrambled but not too dry.

Remove the eggs and clean out the pan.

Add 2 tablespoons oil. Add the rice. Stir-fry for a few minutes, using chopsticks or a wooden spoon to break it apart. Stir in the soy sauce or oyster sauce as desired.

When the rice is heated through, add the scrambled egg back into the pan. Mix thoroughly. Stir in the green onion. Serve hot.

*chicken or beef broth can be used to cook the rice in to flavor

Chicken, Pork or Beef, ham or shrimp Fried Rice

Makes 3 servings of chicken fried rice, or 4 - 6 as part of a meal.

INGREDIENTS:

* 4 cups cold cooked rice (use beef, chicken or pork broth to cook rice in)

* 8 ounces cooked chicken (or substitute cooked turkey, pork, beef etc.), chopped

* 2 eggs (more if desired)

* 1/2 cup green peas

* 1 medium onion, diced

* 1 green onion, diced

* Seasonings (add according to taste):

* Light Soy Sauce

* Oyster sauce

* Salt

* Pepper

* Oil for stir-frying, as needed

PREPARATION:

Beat the eggs lightly with chopsticks, add a dash of salt (Add a bit of oyster sauce if desired).

Chop the chicken meat and dice the onion and green onion.

Heat wok and add oil.

When oil is ready, pour 1/2 of the egg mixture into the wok and cook over medium heat, turning over once. Cook the other half the same way. Cut the egg into thin strips, and save for later.

Stir-fry the onion on high heat for a few moments, remove and set aside. Do the same for the green peas.

Add oil, turn down the heat to medium and stir-fry the rice. Add the soy sauce, salt, pepper and oyster sauce. Add the chicken, onion and green peas and combine thoroughly. Serve chicken fried rice with the strips of egg on top and the green onion as a garnish. (Alternately, you can mix the green onion and egg in with the other ingredients).

*if you have cans of baby shrimp, drain the little bit of liquid and use as part of the liquid to make the rice, then use the shrimp with the rice for Shrimp Fried Rice.

yum. Now i want stir fried rice!

I make rice 2 or 3 times a week and try to only have it plain once a week.

A tablespoon of oregano or using the water drained from a can of corn will give the rice a lovely sweet taste.

cooking up some onion in butter then adding both to the rice as it cooks is yummy.

stirring in some salsa after the rice has cooked is a quick and dirty spanish rice type of taste.

I don't really follow set recipes for rice too often, I just use whatever is handy to add taste and cut down on butter usage. Left alone my kids will put more than a tablespoon of butter on their rice!

Westbrook I tried the chicken fried rice recipe last night my H loved it, and it was so easy to make. I didn't have oyster sauce though. Don't even know where to find it here. Thank you!

Oyster Sauce.. not needed but if you wanted to make it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_sauce

should be found in Asian Markets.. but not all cities have them... I wouldn't worry about it.

I am glad he liked it... did you like it? did the kids like it? that is a true test!!! did the kids like it! LOL!

I am always looking for recipes that we can use our canned foods to help rotate our pantries as well as for recipes to keep us from getting food fatigue.

I am a menu planner for my pantry foods. I am now going to learn to do this in a solar oven!

Anyone have a spanish rice recipe? with and or without meat?

this might also be a great use of canned ground beef or dehydrated TVP or ground beef!

==========================

Rice Milks

==========================

2 C rice

4 C water

rinse rice to clean - pour 4 C boiling water over rice & let soak for 1-2 hours - blend 1 C soaked rice with 2 1/2 C water (can be cold water) - blend rice to a slurry (not a smooth liquid) - pour into a pot & repeat with rest of rice - bring to a boil & then reduce heat & simmer for 20 minutes - line colander with nylon tricot or a few layers of cheesecloth - put bowl under colander - pour rice mix in colander - another 1 C of water (or less or more) can be poured over the rice to get out more milk - press with the back of a spoon - twist nylon & squeeze out as much milk as possible

this milk is very plain and can be flavored with oil, vanilla, salt, etc.

=================

=================

A good way to make rice milk is to use fresh rice that is still hot.

1 cup rice

4 cups hot water

1 tsp vanilla

put all in blender, puree for about 5 minutes (until smooth)

let sit for 1/2 hour

pour into container being careful not to let the sediments

at the bottom pour into the new container

============================

============================

Subject: Making Rice Milk &/or 'Ice Cream'

We make our own rice milk. It's easy, cheap and you can adjust the sugar and add flavourings as per your preferences (we're fond of frozen strawberries to make strawberry 'milkshakes'!). You can use this rice milk with frozen bananas to make a sort of ice-cream like treat too. We really didn't like the price for commercially prepared rice milk and after the info came on the list that one of these commercial products was not necessarily gluten free (the one we used to use) we came up with this recipe:

RICE MILK (need a blender)

INGREDIENTS

1 cup dry white rice

1 litre (~ 4 cups) water

1 tbsp (up to 1/2 cup) white sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

1. Add rice and water, let soak room temperature for at least 4 hours or in the refrigerate over night (we put rice n' water right into the blender container!)

2. Blend rice and water in blender on high for about 1 minute

2. Strain out rice from water (SAVING WATER SOLUTION!)

3. Add sugar and flavourings (ie. fruit), blend again

4. Refrigerate (we're comfortable using this within 48 hours; maybe a longer shelf life, we don't know, never tried!)

CHOCOLATE-BANANA 'ICE CREAM' (need a food processer of some type)

Use about 1/2 cup rice-milk with 3 frozen bananas, that have been sliced in half and length-wise before freezing (from a refrigerator freezer NOT a deep freeze, if you take the bananas from a 'deep' freeze microwave them first to soften them a bit first or your processer may protest, loudly!) and add chocolate syrup and a little bit of vanilla extract if desired.

Blend in food processer until smooth but NOT melted! We find this best if eaten right away but our 9 year old likes it even after its been in the freezer for a couple of days (it gets crystaline like a sherbert if kept in freezer after it's made).

OTHER THINGS TO ADD: chocolate chips, frozen fruit, whatever you like and is gluten-free

========================

========================

rice milk recipe

1 cup cooked brown rice (short grain works best)

4 cups water

1 tsp. vanilla extract

Place cooked rice in blender with water and vanilla and process until throughly liquefied. Strain.

Westbrook, I loved it. I dont know about the kids they dont come home until the weekends. Our youngest is going to college in the city and only comes home on weekends. Everyone comes to dinner on Sunday I will have to try it on them then.

Originally Posted By: westbrook
Anyone have a spanish rice recipe? with and or without meat?

this might also be a great use of canned ground beef or dehydrated TVP or ground beef!

Here's my easy recipe,

2 C rice
2 cup water
1 16 oz jar of salsa

Combine every thing in pot, cook as you would plain rice by simmering for 30 minutes. You can add ground beef and cheese once the rice is cooked.

Spanish rice

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup uncooked white rice
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cups water
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 can green chiles
1-2 teaspoons chili powder, or to taste
1/2 tsp pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Saute rice, onion, garlic and bell pepper until rice is browned and onions are tender.
Stir in water, chiles, and tomatoes. Season with chili powder, pepper, and salt. Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.

• 2 weeks later...

you might try adding unflavored soy grits to your rice - i add 4 TB grits to 1 cup dry rice and cook together. the bean protein complements the rice protein. a sneaky way to make 'white rice' lovers a little healthier. i use white rice exclusively, my spouse dislikes the brown, i dislike the long cooking time and it does not store for long periods at all. if i gotta refrigerate or freeze it, its a 'stopper' as far as my storage goes. On the plus side, I have lots of neat rice recipes...

that same spouse that dislikes brown rice LOVES all manner of white rice recipes, including vegan/storage/cheapo ones!

My families favorite recipe:

1/2 cup brown rice

then a 1/2 cup of the following mixture: lentils, wild rice, yellow, orange, and green peas (to be honest, I just eyeball the amounts & there is much less of the wild rice then the other things because it's so costly)

2 1/4 cups of water

Bring the water to a boil.

Toss in the rice & mixture.

Reduce heat to low & cover.

Simmer for 50 to 55 minutes.

It is very filling and yummy.

Recipe #1. Schadenfreud Slop.

3/4 cup dry blackeye peas

1 cup long grain white rice

3/4 pound hamburger

1/2 cup sliced mushrooms

1 tablespoon salt

1 tablespoon onion powder

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1/2 teaspoon red pepper

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Sour cream

Put the peas in a 3 quart pot with water and cook until soft. When the peas are almost done, crumble the hamburger in a frying pan and cook brown over medium heat. Drain the fat off the meat. When the peas are done add the meat and all remaining ingredients except the sour cream. Fill pot to about 1/2 inch below top with water. Taste. Add more salt/pepper if necessary. Cover pot and cook on medium heat until rice is done. Add the sour cream to portions after spooning them from the pot into dishes, about a two teaspoons sour cream per cup of slop.

Recipe #2. Apocalypse Beans and Rice Soup.

1/2 cup great northern beans

1/2 cup cranberry beans

1/2 cup long grain white rice

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 tablespoon salt

1 tablespoon onion powder

1/2 tablespoon red pepper (extra for a more intense apocalypse)

1/2 tablespoon cumin

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

9 slices pepperoni

Put the beans in a 3 quart pot with water and cook until soft. When the beans are done add all remaining ingredients. Fill pot to about 1/2 inch below top with water. Taste. Add whatever you think is necessary. Cover pot and cook on medium heat until rice is done.

I like canned diced tomatoes seasoned with basil, oregano salt and garlic, and canned garbanzo (chickpeas) beans mixed together and poured over the top of white rice.

A great vegan dish!

• 1 year later...

Here's a good thread that has LOTS of rice recipes, links and tips. Rice is almost a much a standard prep pantry item as beans. :D

One of my friends here sent me a really cool rice cooker that is very nifty, I need to be using it more. Right now we're only eating rice about once a week and I'd like to increase that.

Archived