MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Peach Pit Jelly

Cat

This also has a recipe for using the peelings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pansy

Good Morning - thought you all might enjoy making this jelly. Our Peaches are not ready to can yet, but a couple of weeks they are telling us.

PEACH PIT JELLY

Peach pits from one (28 pound) box Peaches

3 cups juice

1/4 cup Lemon juice

5 cups sugar

1 box MCP Fruit jell

Save pits of one canning box Peaches. Put in kettle with enough water to cover, then simmer for one hour or so. Remove pits, straqin liquid through cheesecloth. Follow MCP recipe for Peach Jelly. Lovely pink color with delicate flavor! Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cat

Pansy, I went looking for the recipe elsewhere to double-check, because I've always heard that peach pits contain cyanide, which is a poison.

But I found this recipe at the Colorado State University Cooperative Extension board, so I'm sure it should be OK. They say just don't use cracked or broken pits.

Other unusual jelly & jam recipes, too!

http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/TRA/cfs/food/jamjelly.html

PEACH PIT JELLY

*NOTE: Do not use peach pits which are cracked or broken!

To Make Juice: Cover pits with boiling water, let stand overnight. In the morning, bring to a boil (water & pits) and strain (see page 1). (Need at least 1/2 bushel of peaches, but can cut recipe in half).

To Make Jelly:

4 C. juice

5 C. sugar

1 pkg. pectin

Follow directions on pectin package for making peach jelly. Pour into sterile jars, leaving 1/8" headspace. Wipe jar rims, adjust lids and rings. Water bath 5 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buttercup

I did this just the other day when I did my peaches. Only instead of just the pits I also used the peelings.. And it did turn out a nice dark pink color. I think what I did was 3 cups of juice and maybe 4 cups of sugar.. to one box of pectin... I ended up with 9 cups of juice which was enough for 3 batches of jelly. Which I think gave me 3 pints a piece. Which wasn't bad for just using scraps and sugar!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• 1 year later...

I did peaches when I got home from work, yesterday. I saved the pits to make jelly. I got on line and found the peach pit jelly recipe then logged on to MrsS and here it is! LOL, I should have looked here first. :)

• 11 months later...

Peach Pit Jelly

4 quarts (minimum) of peach peelings and pits

Place in pan and barely cover with water. Bring to a boil and let simmer 30 minutes. Let stand overnight. Strain thru cheesecloth – You should have about 3 cups of juice.

For each 3 cups of juice:

1 package powdered pectin

3 cups sugar

Measure juice into pan and add pectin. Bring to a rapid boil and add sugar. Boil until juice sheets off spoon. Skim off foam and pour into sterilized jars. Leaving ½ inch head room, seal jars and process in water bath for 5 minutes. This jelly is very delicate flavored but really good.

• 4 weeks later...

Wasn't someone just saying peach pits have cyanide in them and that nobody should be making jelly from them? It was in the shout box yesterday. I thought she was going to post it here.

Just don't let small children or dogs eat them...

You want to know why I'm paranoid about peach pits. I'll tell you...

My big brother told me that peach pits were almonds. I liked nuts. I cracked some peach pits and ate them when I was 4. I got really, really sick, had to have my stomach pumped.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my warnings. I am always saying things here that seem to bother people or make them think I'm some flake...but they ARE poison inside.

My great grandma always put two peach pits in each quart of peaches...nobody died. So if the USDA says it's okay...well go right on ahead, but proceed with caution.

LOL Stephanie..but now they KNOW I've been a flake all my life, listening to my brother like that!!!!

I'm not offended...if someone is cautious, it is usually with good reason. I did boil the pits & peelings and got a lovely juice that made a WONDERFUL jelly. :)

Judy, that was some serious sibling rivalry there. :bighug2: Don't think I'm going to tell my two about the cyanide until the little one is big enough not to believe her brother all the time.

Thanks ya'll, I've really enjoyed this thread and I got really curious about the peach pits, etc. I have one book that says that cooking drives off the cyanide, like the way they process casava roots. But I haven't found anything else that says this.

Ya'll are a bad (or good?) influence. I boiled all my nectarine pits and make a delicious juice, which I drank!

BTW, Judy, I don't think I've ever been offended by any of your posts and I've often been enlightened. You write like a Scorpio sometimes. I just figured you're a Scorpio. :24:

• 1 year later...
Wondering- do I let sit overnight on the counter, or in the fridge?

I'm not understanding the question... once it's canned safely, it doesn't need to be refrigerated until after opening.

:bighug2:

I just got this same question today. Now I am reading that you should just use the peels, not the pits for making the juice. Things change all the time, as you know.

So, it is up to you whether or not you want to risk using the pits, too. You know how I am very careful, so I would not use the pits if I were doing this. But, you each have to make your own decision.

The question about letting it sit all night was from this on another post...

Place in pan and barely cover with water. Bring to a boil and let simmer 30 minutes. Let stand overnight. Strain thru cheesecloth – You should have about 3 cups of juice.

She means let the juice and all sit overnight after boiling, before straining for the juice.

It would be kept in the fridge so bacteria won't multiply so fast.

I'm guessing 2 threads were merged?

Yup. I knew we had a couple of older posts, and I wanted to remind people about the question about the cyanide, so I merged them rather than bump a bunch of posts up and confuse it even more. The two merged ones were very similar.

:bighug2:

Archived