Green Tomatoes!!!

16 replies to this topic

#1 Genoa

Genoa

Family Member

• Users2
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:06 PM

I've never had tomato plants as big as I've grown this year. The weather here was cold and wet later than usual, and the tomatoes got a late start, but they grew quickly and got very, very big. Unfortunately, I think too much energy went into growing leaves and plant rather than tomatoes initially. I have been harvesting tomatoes lately and eating them fresh, but I have tons of green tomatoes (cherry, grape, and roma) on the vine which I fear will never ripen. Any ideas what to do with these?

Would it be possible to use some of them for a verde enchilada sauce? I know that the verde sauce is typically made with tomatillos, but would green tomatoes be a viable substitute? Then could the leftover sauce be canned, or would I need to freeze it?

Any other ideas? I've heard of fried green tomatoes, but they don't appeal to me, as we don't eat much, if any, fried food.

#2 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,634 posts
  • Interests:Crafts, cooking & baking, parenting... Oh, LOTS of stuff!!

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:03 PM

I love fried green tomatoes... seasonally, just as morel mushrooms. We don't use cornmeal, as some do... just flour.

Mom made a green tomato relish, and there are green tomato pickles.

~~~~~~~~~

(NOTE BY CAT:... NOT TESTED ACCORDING TO USDA STANDARDS, AS FAR AS I KNOW.)

Title: Recipe: Green Tomato Salsa (canning recipe)

Board: Canning and Preserving at Recipelink.com
RE: ISO: Green Tomato Salsa and Uses for Green Tomato Jalapeno Chow Chow
MSG ID: 207422

Normally chow chow is eaten with meats or on cooked dried beans.

I like the green tomato salsa. We use it for burritos. I simmer diced leftover pork or beef roast for a few minutes with a jar of the green tomato salsa. Very good. Also good with tortilla chips.

Be sure to use only pint jars or smaller, not quarts as it affects the safety. The heat will not penetrate it enough to make it safe.

You can use tomatillos or regular green tomatoes.

TOMATILLO GREEN SALSA

5 cups chopped tomatillos
1 1/2 cups seeded, chopped long green chiles
1/2 cup seeded, finely chopped jalapeņo peppers
4 cups chopped onions
1 cup bottled lemon or lime juice
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin (optional)
3 tablespoons dried oregano leaves (optional)
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Read more about ingredients.

Yield: About 5 pints

Caution: Wear plastic or rubber gloves and do not touch your face while handling or cutting hot peppers. If you do not wear gloves, wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face or eyes.

PREPARING TOMATILLOS:
Remove the dry outer husks from tomatillos; wash thoroughly. They do not need to be peeled or seeded.

PREPARING PEPPERS:
The skin of long green chiles may be tough and can be removed by heating the peppers. Usually when peppers are finely chopped, they do not need to be skinned. If you choose to peel chiles, slit each pepper along the side to allow steam to escape. Peel using one of these two methods:

Oven or broiler method to blister skins - Place chiles in a hot oven (400°F) or broiler for 6 to 8 minutes until skins blister.

Range-top method to blister skins - Cover hot burner (either gas or electric) with heavy wire mesh. Place peppers on burner for several minutes until skins blister.

To peel, after blistering skins, place peppers in a pan and cover with a damp cloth. (This will make peeling the peppers easier.) Cool several minutes; slip off skins. Discard seeds and chop.

The jalapeņo peppers do not need to be peeled, but seeds are often removed.

HOT PACK:
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir frequently over high heat until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2O minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot into clean, hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened, clean paper towel; apply two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a boiling water canner 15 minutes.

http://www.recipelink.com/msgid/207422

~~~~~~~~

Green Tomato Sweet Pickles

1 gallon green tomatoes (16 cups sliced)
1/4 cup salt
1/2 tablespoon powdered alum
3 cups vinegar (5% acidity)
1 cup water
4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon mixed spices
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon mustard seed

Slice tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and allow to stand overnight.

Next morning drain and pour 2 quarts of boiling water with 1/2 tablespoon of powdered alum over the tomatoes and let stand 20 minutes.

Drain and cover with cold water, drain. Combine vinegar, water, sugar and spices (tie spices loosely in bag) and bring to a boil. Pour this over the tomatoes. Let stand in this solution overnight. Then drain and bring solution to boil and pour over tomatoes. Let stand overnight.

On the third morning bring the pickles and solution to a boil. Pack into sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch of top. Put on cap, screw band firmly tight. Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.

Yield: 8 pints.

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/general/green-tomato-pickles.htm

~~~~~~~~

Here's a search page... explore to your heart's content! Just be careful!
Green Tomato search... canning recipes

cat.jpg

Where words and actions disagree, the heart is revealed.

Look how often the unexpected happens... and we still don't expect it.

#3 Violet

Violet

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:36 AM

Those are USDA safe and tested recipes. I love that green tomato salsa recipe ! One year we made so much that we still have some stored. It is good stuff.

I can, you can, too !

#4 Genoa

Genoa

Family Member

• Users2
  • 220 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:16 AM

Thanks, Cat! That green tomato salsa sounds wonderful, just what I was hoping for. Happy to know I can substitute the green tomatoes for the tomatillos. My favorite enchiladas are chicken enchiladas suiza or chicken enchiladas suiza, and I think the salsa would be perfect for that.

And thank you, Violet, for confirming this is a USDA safe recipe.

I'm so glad to know all my lovely green tomatoes won't have to go to waste.

#5 Campy

Campy

Family Member

• Users2
  • 1,111 posts
  • Interests:Radio Control model airplanes, computers, fishing, antique/classic cars, firearms

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

One thing you can try with the green tomatoes - My mother used to wrap each tomato LOOSELY in newspaper and put them in a single layer in a cardboard box in the back hall (our back hall was cooler than the house). About once a week she would go and check the tomatoes and take out the ripe ones.

She said the tomatoes gave off a gas that caused them to ripen and by wrapping them in newspaper you trapped the gasses and the tomatoes would ripen. I don't remember her throwing out very many tomatoes.

It might be worth a try.

FWIW - Burpee has (or had) a tomato called "Long Keeper". This was an orange colored tomato. The nice part was you harvested them when they were ripe and they would keep 4 - 6 weeks in one of the hanging metal mesh baskets. I have not seen the seeds lately, but I am pretty sure they are available. These were a medium size tomato.

#6 Genoa

Genoa

Family Member

• Users2
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:09 AM

Campy, I've heard of wrapping the tomatoes like that to ripen, but I also read that they need to be starting to turn color at the stem in order for that to work. If I have any that meet the criteria, I'll try at least a few in the newspaper just to see what happens.

I like the idea of longer lasting tomatoes. Have you tried them yourself? I wish we could make ALL our produce last longer. They taste so good when fresh from the garden, there's nothing to compare to that.

#7 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,634 posts
  • Interests:Crafts, cooking & baking, parenting... Oh, LOTS of stuff!!

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:49 AM

I know some around here will pull their whole tomato plant and hang it upside-down in a garage or basement. The tomatoes continue to ripen for a while.

Of course, they pull them when we're supposed to get a *hard freeze* that a blanket won't protect the plants from... wink

cat.jpg

Where words and actions disagree, the heart is revealed.

Look how often the unexpected happens... and we still don't expect it.

#8 Genoa

Genoa

Family Member

• Users2
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:58 AM

Cat, I thought about that, but there's no way I could get my tomato plants pulled out in one piece---I set up cages around them for support when I first planted them and the plants grew so big I could never disentangle them. I'm not kidding---these things are the size of small trees!

#9 Campy

Campy

Family Member

• Users2
  • 1,111 posts
  • Interests:Radio Control model airplanes, computers, fishing, antique/classic cars, firearms

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:56 AM

I tried the "Long Keepers" several years ago. What I remember of them was the flavor was a lot milder than a "Beef Steak" tomato and it was about 1/2 - 2/3 the size of a Beef Steak tomato.

I know what you mean about the tomatoes being the size of small trees. I do raised bed gardening. Last year was my 1st year with a "Mantis" composter (dual drum). I had a full heaping wheelbarrow of compost per 2 3'x7' beds. Got that worked into the soil and it made a big difference. Now that I have "got the hang" of making compost in the composter, I am on my 2nd batch this year (It will be done by the middle of September).

The next thing is, do I want more "giant" vegetables next year, or would we like some "giant" flowers to go along with the vegetables?

#10 Leasmom

Leasmom

New Friend

• Users2
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:47 PM

I second the Green Tomato Relish and my daughter didn't know it wasn't regular relish. Its good and it was a good way to use those tomatoes.

#11 PoGo

PoGo
  • Users2
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:11 PM

You can also make green tomato preserves. I really like it, spread on bread & butter. I use whole green tomatoes, which I chop to be chunky.

From the Ball Blue Book:

Tomato Preserves

Yield: about 6 half-pints

1 1/2 quarts small yellow, green or red tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
1 (1/2-inch) piece fresh ginger
4 cups sugar
1 cup thinly sliced and seeded lemon (about 2 medium)
3/4 cup water

Wash and peel tomatoes; drain. Tie spices and fresh ginger in a spice bag.
Combine spice bag, sugar, lemon and water in a large sauce pot. Simmer
15 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook gently until tomatoes become transparent,
stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Remove from heat. Cover and let
stand 12 to 18 hours in a cool place. Remove spice bag. Remove tomatoes
and lemon from syrup and set aside. Boil syrup 3 minutes or longer to thicken.
Return tomatoes and lemon to syrup; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Skim
foam if necessary. Ladle hot preserves into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
Wipe rims, adjust two piece caps. Process 20 minutes in boiling-water canner.
(Adjust time for your altitude.)

Boiling-Water Canner Altitude Adjustments

Altitude in Feet----------Increase Processing Time

1,001 to 3,000-------------5 Minutes
3,001 to 6,000------------10 Minutes
6,001 to 8,000------------15 Minutes
8,001 to 10,000-----------20 Minutes

#12 Cricket

Cricket

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:07 AM

PoGo, Do you peel the green tomatoes?

I have about twelve humongous tomato bushes that are loaded with roma-type canning tomatoes. The fruits are big and beautiful and GREEN, and the season is about over. cry

I need to do something with them, so relish and preserves will be about it!
I try to be good....

#13 PoGo

PoGo
  • Users2
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Cricket
PoGo, Do you peel the green tomatoes?

I have about twelve humongous tomato bushes that are loaded with roma-type canning tomatoes. The fruits are big and beautiful and GREEN, and the season is about over. cry

I need to do something with them, so relish and preserves will be about it!

No, Cricket, I didn't peel the green ones. Can you try covering your plants with quilts at night, to extend the harvest season?

#14 Cricket

Cricket

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:19 AM

PoGo, We are still a few weeks from potential frost, but the vines are starting to turn yellow and wither, so I think the plants are pooping out.

We've had plenty of weekly rain, but this has been a very cool summer. I also got the plants in the ground kind of late.

Now my heirloom table tomatoes are big and green also, but I've been able to bring those in and they ripen on the kitchen counter. I love me some 'mater sammitches! yumyum
I try to be good....

#15 Cricket

Cricket

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:31 AM

Okay, I've got the ingredients ready for the preserves. Man, fresh lemons are expensive!!

Does anyone know if I can safely double this recipe? PoGo?
I try to be good....

#16 PoGo

PoGo
  • Users2
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:19 PM

I think it would be safe to double the recipe, Cricket. There is no sure jell to worry about jelling or not.

Oh, tomato sandwiches are so good! smile

#17 Cricket

Cricket

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:54 PM

My Roma-type tomatoes finally started turning red, thank goodness, so I had enought to make one batch of salsa on Saturday. I did go ahead and pick some green ones and made one batch of the preserves over the weekend, too.

I hope to have enough ripened to get another batch of salsa done in a few days. smile
I try to be good....

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users