Photo

what did you do today to save a penny - Part 2

362 replies to this topic

#1 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,608 posts
  • Interests:Crafts, cooking & baking, parenting... Oh, LOTS of stuff!!

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

Time to start a new thread, as the old one's grown *huge*!

page one of Part one

(It wouldn't let me link to the whole thread. frown )

cat.jpg

Where words and actions disagree, the heart is revealed.

Look how often the unexpected happens... and we still don't expect it.

#2 Canned Nerd

Canned Nerd

Canning Nerd

• Users2
  • 1,587 posts
  • Interests:Preserving Food, Computers, Photography, Surviving Old Age

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

Took some stale frozen bread, hotdog/hamburger rolls, that had outlived their useful life and put them in the blender to make bread crumbs. Bigger bread pieces got cut up as croutons. All went in to oven with some simple herbs to be toasted a little before going into sealed bags.

Don't know if that saved me much since it opened up a ton of space in the freezer that I want to go out to the store now to fill up. smile

Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

#3 Aint2nuts

Aint2nuts

Penny Pinching Princess

• Users2
  • 1,720 posts
  • Interests:Scrapbooking, survival, herbs,gardening reading, NEOPETS (yeah yeah yeah -- call me 8 years old), gardening, collecting (Delft, Beanie Baby bears for the Christmas tree, Angels and Tiny Porcelain dolls). Adoption. Geneology.

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:06 AM

Well I saved a penny or two, to see if I could resell some things. I found nice cloth table clothes Originally -- 8 dollars and more, for 1.75 and nice cloth placemats for under a dollar each. I found napkins for under 50 cents each. I plan on putting them together in sets on Ebay and selling them and see if I can make a FEW dollars on them. :-)

#4 HSmom

HSmom

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

I stayed home. No money spent.

grin

Seriously, I worked on gathering our 2008 tax data, paying bills and the like. I also cooked lunch and dinner from scratch.

Trying not to keep all my eggs in one basket....

#5 Homemaker

Homemaker

Family Member

• Users2
  • 981 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:44 AM

I found bags of hershey kisses in the candy cane and mint truffle flavors for 50 cents a bag. The original price was about 5 dollars. I snatched up 6 bags and sealed them up in small portions in my food sealer.
I can't have them this year because I'm on a sugar fast, but you never know when they might come in handy.
The bag said they expire in Nov. 09, but they probably want people to go out and buy fresh for next christmas.
You can't even buy a candybar for 50 cents anymore!

#6 Leah

Leah

Honored Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:32 PM

Chocolate freezes very well, Homemaker. I cram it down in the crevices between other things.
When you thaw it, sometimes it 'blooms' (those white spots) a little, but is still very good. Freezing it is the only way I can keep it around. We've used several-year-old frozen chocolate.(Sometimes it falls down and gets lost.) smile
The Ant and the Grasshopper is the best children's story ever; and if you're reading this forum you know why.

#7 Momo

Momo

Family Member

• Moderators
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:48 AM

I bought 20 pounds of fresh pecans today, for only 1$ a pound. I usually freeze them in the shell and take them out as needed.
Tell Mom the cat did it!

#8 Homemaker

Homemaker

Family Member

• Users2
  • 981 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:31 AM

Well, an unexpected surprise last night is forcing me to pinch the penny by learning how to repair my own washing machine.
The motor coupler is cracked. I know I can fix it if I can figure out the right way to disassemble it.
Of course, I'll need to put it back together also!
I guess I'm hand washing for the next week or so while I wait for the parts . Better go up and check out that pioneer laundry thread.

#9 Momo

Momo

Family Member

• Moderators
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:26 PM

Proper diagnosis is the toughest part Homemaker! You go girl!
Tell Mom the cat did it!

#10 Pixie

Pixie

Canadian Goddess

• Users2
  • 1,052 posts
  • Interests:crochet, vintage clothing/photos, gothic stylings, photoshop, computers, music, reading, the sims2,the sims3, entertaining, COOKING, making things,

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Homemaker
Well, an unexpected surprise last night is forcing me to pinch the penny by learning how to repair my own washing machine.
The motor coupler is cracked. I know I can fix it if I can figure out the right way to disassemble it.
Of course, I'll need to put it back together also!
I guess I'm hand washing for the next week or so while I wait for the parts . Better go up and check out that pioneer laundry thread.

me too! I inherited several DIY books from my mom. I have been pouring over them the last day or so since my machine started stinking...still washes, but I don't want to risk a fire with the burning rubber smell and all. I totally plan on fixing it myself. Too bad I don't get a discount at the hardware store anymore!
Posted Image

#11 Homemaker

Homemaker

Family Member

• Users2
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:55 AM

Pixie,
Here's how I fixed it.
I searched on YouTube and came accross a guy who makes instructional videos. Several, I could watch for free to narrow down what the problem was. For only 9 something I downloaded a video that showed me how to disassemble the washer and install the new part and put it back together. The actual work time, minus searching for my tools and running back and forth to look at the video, was a half hour. It was so easy!!
Google "appliance repair videos" The guys name is Angel, and that's what he is. He saved me tons of money and frustration.

#12 CoM

CoM

Family Friend

• Users2
  • 628 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:57 PM

I hung clothes on line, watered down just a little my thick ceasar salad dressing and used conatiners instead of Zip lock bags to store some stuff in fridge.

Those Debbie Meyer Green bags work great at preserving stuff, thus reducing waste.I bought the ones for vegetables/fruits but also use them to store home made bread in.

Just wash out good & dry well.

#13 sassenach

sassenach
  • Users2
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

CoM, can you post the link to the Debbie Meyer bags for produce? I can't find my link for them! I want to get some now that I have some extra money I can put to preps. thanks

~~~~ Previously known as Arby . :americanflag:

#14 CoM

CoM

Family Friend

• Users2
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:31 AM

arby:

https://www.greenbags.com/?cid=587776

is her site but I got mine for the same price at Bed, Bath & Beyond & saved shipping.

They claim you can use each bag up to 10 times but that you have to keep only one type of food in each bag and not put clips etc on them.

I started off trying to do that but ended up using any bag for any product and I saw no ill effects. I also now use a clip on some of them and it hasn't torn the bag.

We are well pleased with them.

#15 sassenach

sassenach
  • Users2
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:52 AM

Thankyou CoM! couch2

~~~~ Previously known as Arby . :americanflag:

#16 Crazy4Canning

Crazy4Canning

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,636 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, quilting, gardening, canning, healthy cooking, natural health, herbs, reading, knitting, crocheting, teaching, raising chickens!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:04 PM

CoM,

I understand the laundry battle. We had to this experience in May. Only despite the book, tools, and engineer experience, ours was DEAD. RIP. No CPR available. I do hope yours is as simple as replacing a belt!

Praying for you and your machine! praying
All it takes to make a difference is one person.

#17 Momo

Momo

Family Member

• Moderators
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:07 AM

DH and I had lunch at our local chinese buffet. The owner was sitting at a table stringing green beans. I asked her if we could have the trimmings for our chickens. She said sure, and went into the kitchen and brought out a big bag of veggie scraps her hubby had just prepped in the kitchen. Great free food for our girls. Next time we go there I am going to give her some eggs to repay her.
Tell Mom the cat did it!

#18 Dora

Dora

Family Member

• Users2
  • 325 posts
  • Interests:fishing, vegetable gardening, canning, cross-stitch

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:27 AM

I save more than a penney this week. I went into a pawn shop owned by a friend of ours, and he had a wall heater (for 1000 sq.ft space) for 100 dollars!. We had priced them at close to 200. It is set up for propane, but will have to be installed by a licensed plumber, so I am sure he can do the conversion. Then today, I sat and scrubbed on the toilet tank and bowl that was SO black from soot and oily smoke, and it ALL came off. No need to pay 50 dollars for a new one (if we can get the toy out of the throat of the thing - no wonder it was a pain to keep plungering the thing for years. (Our kids are 30 and 25) lol
Dora

#19 Momo

Momo

Family Member

• Moderators
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:18 PM

Dora you reminded me of something Dh did. When we were building this house, DH saw an old toilet in front of a house for the city to pick up. He picked it up and brought it home. He cleaned it up for "his bathroom". He wanted 1 old fashioned toilet that used more water for when he did his business. He didn't want one of those low water ones that he would have to flush more than once. laugh.gif
Tell Mom the cat did it!

#20 Josephine

Josephine

Family Friend

• Users2
  • 365 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:43 PM

Bottom/Top/Something Roast was on sale for 1.99 a pound, so I bought about 14 lb and had the butcher at the grocery store grind it for me. Less than ground beef, and I didn't have to grind it myself. Now to can it!

Edited by Josephine, 08 February 2009 - 09:46 PM.

The spear in the Other's heart is the spear in your Own: You are He

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice . . .

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users