Photo

Desiccant recharging?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Jingles

Jingles
  • Users2
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

I have a source for FREE desiccant packs. They are industrial size and previously used, but I have heard you can recharge them, but I was wondering if anyone here has done it and so how and do you have any tips? Also is there a chart on how much to use per size container? Also is there a way I can make these packs smaller so I can use them in storage containers? They are really BIG and I don't think I need that much in a storage bin. Your wisdom would be greatly appreciated I really want to be able to use these.
Jingles

On the road of life there is almost always construction

#2 Campy

Campy

Family Member

• Users2
  • 1,111 posts
  • Interests:Radio Control model airplanes, computers, fishing, antique/classic cars, firearms

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Jingles @ Jun 10 2009, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a source for FREE desiccant packs. They are industrial size and previously used, but I have heard you can recharge them, but I was wondering if anyone here has done it and so how and do you have any tips? Also is there a chart on how much to use per size container? Also is there a way I can make these packs smaller so I can use them in storage containers? They are really BIG and I don't think I need that much in a storage bin. Your wisdom would be greatly appreciated I really want to be able to use these.

Most SILICA GEL desiccants have a color indicator built in. If it is blue then they are ok but if they are pink they will need to be dried. It is easy to "recharge or dry" them. Place them on a metal cookie sheet or something similar then put them in the over with the temp at 250 degrees. Leave them for a couple of hours or see if they change color back to blue. You may have to leave them in the oven all night to get them dry.

There are also clay desiccants. I am not sure how to recharge them, but I presume it would be similar.

Hope this is of some help

Edited by Campy, 10 June 2009 - 06:05 PM.

#3 Nytehunter

Nytehunter
  • Users2
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Knives, Archery, Gardening, Blacksmithing, Electrical, Alternative Energy

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:16 PM

Actually my Dear Sister as I am the source of the packs I am also pleased to announce that they come with reactivation instructions 245 degrees for 16 hours and already have a shopping bag full of them
"Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong"
President Calvin Coolridge

#4 Jingles

Jingles
  • Users2
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

YESYESYES!!!

I can't wait until I get them so I can use them in the pantry with my the plastic containers. Now I need to find a cheap source for buckets with gasket seal lids! I hate paying shipping to order them, but don't know where to buy them around here.

Thanks Campy and Nyte!

Jingles

#5 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 10,064 posts
  • Interests:horses, rural living

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

Jingles....great find.

On buckets, many of the free buckets from restaurants/bakeries have gasket-seals on their lids. I find uses for the ones that don't seal as well too tho. Be sure to pry the gasket out when you wash up those frosting buckets or whatever tho.

and yes, you CAN get pickle smell outta the bucket....tho it takes a little work/time.

MtRider [always asking for free buckets!!!! ]

Edited by Mt_Rider, 11 June 2009 - 03:29 PM.

Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#6 Jingles

Jingles
  • Users2
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

Hmmm I wonder if I can get free ones around here. I'll have to call around. I have a feeling though that around here they are a hot commodity. There are a lot of silent savers in my neck of the woods. I know by how many items are missing on the shelves during sale time.
Jingles

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users