Photo

Free spinning wheel plans

3 replies to this topic

#1 Purdy Bear

Purdy Bear
  • Users2
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Survival Psychology, dog behaviour, sowing and needlecraft, recycle things into other things.

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

I hope this is ok being separate, I wasnt sure wether to put it with the other one. Anyhow, Iv found this website, that shows you how to make your own spinning wheel. It gives the final construction, takes it to bits and shows each peice assembly and then gives drawings for each part. (NB you need to scroll down to find the plans).

http://www.craftsman...wheel-plan.html

#2 Ambergris

Ambergris

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,567 posts
  • Interests:Reading. Writing. Gardening and permaculture. Cat-wrangling. Puppy-feeding. Beekeeping.

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

Pretty, but have you seen one that uses a bicycle wheel, and maybe some other bicycle parts? That's the one I've been looking for.

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." Edward R. Murrow (1908-1965)

#3 Snowmom

Snowmom

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 11,521 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, bird watching, crafts, some sewing and baking.

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:21 AM

Very interesting. smile.gif

I just checked some more on Google, and there are so many different kinds. smile.gif

Here is one that looked nice too. smile.gif

http://www.woodcraft...s.com/fd182.htm

#4 Donit

Donit
  • Users2
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:44 AM

My grandfather made quite a few spinning wheels. He made several using the bases of old treadle sewing machines. You can use the wheel-shaped guides inside the housing for the sewing machine head to hold the drive band, exactly like you would for a sewing machine head. You need a plank, piece of counter top, plywood, get creative, etc. with an oblong hole for the drive band to pass through and around the drive shaft of the spinning head on the "table top". Grandfather did machine his own heads and bobbins, but one could just as easily salvage a head and supports from an old wheel instead.

If you use this idea, make sure you choose a spinning head that is not wobbly (or bobbly biggrin.gif ). Make sure the pieces of wood supporting the head are thick enough you can put a decent size screw into them or you won't have something that will endure the vibration of your machine doing it's work. It is a good idea to drill a small, starter hole into the wood and then sink a slightly larger screw, so you don't split the wood and wreck your head set-up. Also, make sure that you have a number of bobbins or can still get them new. Three is mandatory, six is better. You can buy the drive band material by the yard on the Net.

Grandpa's were elegant looking, but this really is a work-horse idea. If you need to get the work done in a pinch, something like this could be made very quickly (if you've already got the parts) and without a lot of hoo haw. The idea works well.

It is also very possible that a somewhat knowledgeable person could make a set up where the sewing machine head could be removed, table top "insert" be set in the hole where the head sits/hides, spinning table/head put in and the whole deal could work like an "attachment" without messing with the integrity of the sewing machine usage at all.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users