MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sweet pickle recipes?

Jingles

I know I saw posts on sweet pickles, but for the life of me I can't find the posts anymore. I even searched for them and no luck. So I'm asking again. Does anyone have any easy store bought like tasting sweet pickle recipes? I have pickles coming out of my ears here and we love the store bought type of sweet pickles. I would LOVE to make my own and save a fortune in pickles! Please help!

Thanks

I found this one from Snowmom:

Snowmom

07/03/04

SWEET PICKLES

Soak your pickles in salt water over night. 1 Tablespoon salt per quart of water. In morning, drain them and put in them in vinegar and bring to a boil, but DO NOT boil. Pack pickles in your quart or pint jars.

1 Cup sugar

1 Cup vinegar

1 tesp. spices (Pickling Spices)

This is per 1 quart of water

Boil 5 minutes pour over the pickles and seal jars.

I have made these years ago, and they were good. This is the recipe my mom gave me.

:wormie2:

John

I found this one from Snowmom:

Snowmom

07/03/04

SWEET PICKLES

Soak your pickles in salt water over night. 1 Tablespoon salt per quart of water. In morning, drain them and put in them in vinegar and bring to a boil, but DO NOT boil. Pack pickles in your quart or pint jars.

1 Cup sugar

1 Cup vinegar

1 tesp. spices (Pickling Spices)

This is per 1 quart of water

Boil 5 minutes pour over the pickles and seal jars.

I have made these years ago, and they were good. This is the recipe my mom gave me.

:wormie2:

John

I am confused... bring to a boil, but DO NOT boil ?? I am also unsure of the 1 qt. of water. You aren't adding a quart of water to 1 cup vinegar, sugar, and spices, are you, since that won't be nearly acidic enough to keep them safe...

There is also no processing time given.

I am totally lost on this one. Sorry.

I make sweet pickle chunks. Takes a week to make, but they are so awesome ! Even people who don't like pickles rave about them. They are not easy, though, as you asked for easy, Jingles.

I second ScrubbieLady, the Ball Sweet Pickle Relish is fantastic. I just made a batch last night. There is also a sweet pickle recipe in it complete with canning times, head space, etc. If you don't have the book yet, run to your nearest Wal-Mart and pick up a copy. They are around $6.00 and well worth every penny. (The thicker, $20.00+ dollar edition of the Ball Book of Preserving isn't nearly as good, imo!)

With the pickle relish recipe in the ball book do you chop the pickles really really small or can you dice them like about 1/8" to 1/4" size? I use my sweet pickles in tuna salad and I usually like little bit size peices so you can have a burst of sweet pickle in you bits. With store bought relish it all gets mushed in and you hardly taste it.

I did the Sweet Pickle recipe from the Ball Blue Book last year. It was painstaking, but well worth it. Yes, I did sit there and poke EVERY SINGLE pickle. I used gherkins - some were tiny enough to toss in whole, others needed chunking. I will take out these pieces and chop them when I toss them into tuna or something.

I also made the BBB sweet relish - again, delish! Painstaking, but worth it. I use a mandoline slicer (be careful of fingers!).

Finally, was the dill relish. My only change was to add a bit more dill seed because I was using up the last bit from my supplies. I did add a bit of green coloring because it was looking this weird yellow - oh - and I added Pickle Crisp (Calcium Chloride) to EVERY jar to keep it firm.

I couldn't have hoped for finer pickles and relish. These items do need to age, so know that unlike fruit, you can't just yank one of the shelf a week later and eat it. Mine were perfect about 4-6 months later, just in time for the holidays.

Have fun!

Archived