MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sprouting beans..bad smell??

So a few days ago I set out to sprouting some black eyed peas. I rinsed them twice a day. They're starting to sprout but they smell funky..is this normal? Or should I toss them?

For black-eyed peas sprouts are rinsed as little as twice a day, but possibly three or four times a day in hotter climates, to prevent them from souring, according to the experts.

If you think you rinsed them enough, I wonder if all the excess water was removed so they were not soaking in stagnant water.

If they smell fermented, they stayed soaking too long,

From http://www.healthrecipes.com/growing_sprouts.htm :

"You are going to need a big jar with a perforated lid. You can use an elastic band with cheesecloth to replace the metal lid. A cheesecloth cover rinses easily. Remove any broken or damaged seeds before you begin to sprout. These seeds can rot and cause sprouts to have an unpleasant smell. Damaged seeds are much easier to remove at this stage than trying to maneuver through the delicate roots that are forming during the sprouting process.

Keep in mind that sprouting increases the seed volume 6 to 8 times. Four tablespoons will be sufficient for a quart-sized container. Soak the seeds or legumes according to the time given in the chart provided.

Rinse seeds well and place inside the jar. Twice a day rinse the seeds delicately so as not to break the little shoots. Broken shoots will begin to rot or go moldy, causing an unpleasant smell. You may find a pungent smell to your sprouts. This is caused by byproducts being produced by the growing sprouts. Sprouts should be moist, but keeping them immersed in water will cause them to rot. Rinsing twice a day ensures that they will not dry out and die. As sprouts begin to develop, lightly shake to remove excess water."

So it looks like broken or damaged beans, or broken shoots, can rot and make it smell bad. Hopefully this helps, Carmen! :)

Archived