MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

So sick of being sick

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I've missed a whole week of work now, and in spite of antibiotics and cough syrup laced with codeine, I'm still coughing from my toes, and all chest and stomach muscles are painfully sore. Last night was the final straw.

It got pretty warm here yesterday, and by 10 PM, the house was too warm. I opened our bedroom window, and the office window to get a cross breeze. Then, I climbed into bed to do what I do best now...COUGH. Every time I had a coughing fit, those dumb mutts across the street started barking. About the time they would calm down, I'd have another hacking fit, and the darn dogs would start barking again. I woke up Caveman to tell him about my problem, thinking he might take pity on me, and go muzzle a couple of mutts, but he just laughed at me, then turned over and went back to sleep. Sometimes, life is hard.

Guest Guest

Mare we went through that here too. We tried all the usual home remedies that always work but didn't this time. Putting Vick's on the bottom of our feet helped a little but darn little. Goldenseal and Echinacea always works and did a little, but darn little. Barley grass pills always work with these symptoms but the also worked darn little. They did seem to help a little when take with the Goldenseal and Echinacea but still very little. Then we tried hot lemonade, it really helped. Not enough though.......

So we finally went with fresh lemons instead of juice, and drinking the hot lemonade first thing in the morning and just before going to bed at night. We also eliminated all dairy products from our diet temporarily and this combination has really helped a lot.

Hill

Guest Guest

Aw, Mare! I'm sorry to hear that you're so sick! Do you have a vaporizer? I mean the one that puts out hot steam?

I had/have that cough and I seem to get more relief when I get more moisture in the air. Now, in the mornings, AK sets up the vaporizer right near my chair in the dining room, and when I go in for my coffee, it's already running. I feel a lot better with it on. I know that has to be what's working 'casue if it's not running, I cough 'til I feel like I'm going to pass out or throw up. Sorry to be so graphic. I've even used a hot wet washcloth over my face and nose, to jumpstart the process. I really think it's post nasal drip caused by whatever bug that started this cold/flu thingie.

Pharmacist also recommended Chlortrimeton Allergy 12 hour Relief & Robitussin PM combined. It really helped a lot.

I hope you get better soon.

Love,

Nana

Awwww Hun, I can sympathize with ya... I've coughed till I've broken ribs and tore stomach muscles. I found if I ran a vaporizer all the time it helped alot too. Having asthma, I can't take OTC cough suppresents and very seldom will the Dr. prescribe cough medicine with codiene in it because he doesn't want to supress the cough.

I also found honey and lemon juice helped to soothe my raspy throat from all the coughing... and lots of hot water or tea.... increasing your fluid and water intake helps to break up the congestion so you can cough it up.

If the cough keeps up you really need to go see the Doctor to make sure there isn't something else wrong like a touch of pleuresy, or walkin pneumonia... that aint nuthin to mess with. Please take extra good care of your self as we all love you. Twi

Guest Guest

Hi all, just an update on Mare.....as some of you know she's been diagnosed with bronchitis and the symptoms are still strong...she's miserable and coughing hard all the time....we're still waiting for the breaking point which will ease the coughing spells a bit. Thank you all for your support....it means the world to Mare. Stay well!

{{{{{{{{{{Mare}}}}}}}}}} I've had Bronchitis many times and it's so miserable Ricola cough drops work pretty well for that kind of cough for me. And the vaporizer and Vicks vapor rub on the chest. Sure hope something helps soon and you don't have to suffer much longer! Everyone's suggestions are good.