MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pressure Canner Woes

Something is wrong with my pressure canner. :( When the little "top hat" part popped out, that's when it usually stops hissing and start to build pressure...well, it kept being super noisy and spitting out water from the little pressure indicator, and the weight never started jiggling, even though I let it run for half an hour after the 10-minute exhaust. I don't know what is wrong with it. I'm going to let it come down, undo the lid, put it back on, and start again. Hopefully this time it will work. Has anybody had this happen to them? Is there a reason for it?

*sigh*

Something is wrong with my pressure canner. :( When the little "top hat" part popped out, that's when it usually stops hissing and start to build pressure...well, it kept being super noisy and spitting out water from the little pressure indicator, and the weight never started jiggling, even though I let it run for half an hour after the 10-minute exhaust. I don't know what is wrong with it. I'm going to let it come down, undo the lid, put it back on, and start again. Hopefully this time it will work. Has anybody had this happen to them? Is there a reason for it?

*sigh*

It sounds like it couldnt seal. Does it have a gasket? it might need replacement or cleaning so it will stretch and seal properly. They do get brittle after some years.

I suppose it could be the gasket, but it appears to be in good shape, and this canner is pretty much brand-new. :(

I couldn't reprocess the jars because they started pinging when I took the lid off to add more water -- about a third of it had steamed away.

Waaaah!!!! :0327:

Well, the good thing is that all I have to do is clean the jars, and I'll have plenty of cut-up chicken to make some freezer meals with. I'm just bummed because I was looking forward to having more chicken put up. Oh, well. I'll stop whining now, LOL!

Turtlemama,

You could reprocess if the canner will work. You can still reheat it all and start fresh, with hot jars, reheat the liquid, repack the jars, etc.

So, I am not sure what part you are talking about.

"When the little "top hat" part popped out, that's when it usually stops hissing and start to build pressure...well, it kept being super noisy and spitting out water from the little pressure indicator, and the weight never started jiggling, "

What do you mean by top hat ? Can you look at a diagram and tell me the name of the part ? Do you mean the black overpressure plug ( the diagram below is calling it a safety fuse, but normally they are black and are overpressure plugs ) or do you mean the metal lid lock ?

I don't know what you mean by little pressure indicator, either.

Please, look at the diagram here and tell me what the parts are so I can help you. http://www.canningpantry.com/using-pressure-canners.html

It will be OK, we can figure this out !

Hugs,

Violet

Okay...LOL Here we go.

It was the vent/cover lock that popped out, but was still hissing and squirting water. It kind of looks like a little top hat, and I didn't know the proper name for it. :D It usually stops being so noisy after that pops out, but it still hissed like crazy, steamed, and even though I waited about half an hour, the weight never started jiggling. I couldn't figure it out. My kids were going haywire at that point, so I just popped all the lids and put the chicken in the fridge. I'll freeze it in portions tomorrow.

Oh, and "little pressure indicator" was the vent/cover lock, too. It kept spitting at me. My canner needs a time-out. LOL

I'll do a trial run with it tomorrow (no jars) and let you know if I'm still having the same problem or if this was a freak accident!

Hugs to you all... :)

Ummmm....I know what happened yesterday with my pressure canner.... :Blushing:

As I was putting everything back together on the lid this morning, I screwed in the vent/lid lock and...well...I realized that I had put it in upside down last time.

:grinning-smiley-044:

So I guess that would be why it never sealed, and it couldn't raise pressure, and the weight didn't jiggle, and I had to freeze my chicken.

*Ditz Moment!!!*

That's great that you figured out what was wrong. This was a great reminder to me to go pick up another gasket. Last time I used my pressure canner it was leaking a bit at the lid and I meant to get a new gasket and then I completely forgot. I should go do this before I need to pressure can again.

..well...I realized that I had put it in upside down last time.

:grinning-smiley-044:

We love you anyway... In fact even more cos we make the same mistakes from time to time.

You just spared us from writing and asking :kissy:

Were you saying you could have been MockTurtle ?

Nahh, we won't make fun of you. We would not want to admit some of the crazy things we have done !

HA!!! :24:

I'm just glad I'm not the only one... thank goodness!

Archived