MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bruschetta in a Jar - is it alright to can?

Jori

Is this alright for canning?

Bruschetta in a Jar

5 cloves garlic, minced

1 c dry white wine

1 c white wine vinegar

1/2 c water

2 T sugar

2 T dried basil

2 T dried oregano

2 T balsamic vinegar

2 c chopped, cored, peeled plum tomotoes (about 4 lbs)

7 half pint jars

BWC.

Combine ingredients from garlic through balsamic vinegar. Bring to full rolling boil over high heat, stir occasionally. Reduce heat, cover & simmer 5 minures or garlic is heated through. Remove from head.

Pack tomotoes into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Ladle hot vinegar mix over tomatoes.

Process 20 min

Alway, always ask "where did the recipe come from ?" Can you say it is from either a Ball Blue Book or a university website ? If not, most likely, the answer will be no.

There is also Small Batch Preserving that is safe. A few other reliable books and resources, but please be careful of what resource you use.

Unless it is from a reliable source, then I cannot say it is fine. I wouild have to know the source of the information.

Violet,

I wish I remembered where I found it but I didn't write down where it was from and can't recall. I needed the half-pint jars to start my strawberry rhubarb jam since I can't find where DH put them. <_<

I did the smell test and they didn't smell bad but didn't smell like bruschetta, I could smell the vinegar. So I dumped them washed them and used them for jam.

Thanks again,

Jori

I found the recipe. It was safe, from Ball. I hope you did not waste it if you wanted to keep it ! Yes, it will be vinegary, as that is what allows it to be safely canned. To offset vinegar you need to add sugar if it is too tart. That or you can use bottled lemon juice instead of the vinegar. NEVER sub vinegar for bottled lemon juice, though, as the bottled lemon juice is two times as acidic as 5 % vinegar. The bottled lemon juice does taste less sharp, though in a recipe.

That is one thing I try to teach people, be sure you know the source of the recipe otherwise you have no idea if it is safe or not.

There is a really good recipe for roasted red pepper spread from Ball. It is really good on toasted slices of bread. I don't even like red peppers, but this stuff is good ! It is very time consuming to make, though. I can in the 4 oz. jars which is just right for us here, but there is only 2 of us. It is like a brushetta type product, but pureed. Really, it is good.

Hope this helps,

Violet

Interesting recipe, but it has been changed from the Ball® version found in the Complete Book of Home Preserving (Pg 223). Your recipe calls for 2 cups tomatoes, but the original recipe calls for 9 cups. I can only wonder if that was intentional or by accident. Doesn't really change the recipe since it is the brine that is critical.

I totally totally agree with VIOLET about keeping track of the source of all recipes, but especially so for canning ones.

Archived