MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dangerous old favorites?

gofish

My Son is sick again 5th time since February. He has had Strep Throat. This time He has flu like symtoms.

Most of the time I just give them Ibuprofen and make sure they drink a lot.Sometimes I use the Brat diet.

He is complaining about how bad his diarrhea is so I was off to the store for some Pepto or Kaopectate for Him.I have not used them in years, and did not have any.This is what my Mom always gave us.

For some reason I looked at the warnings on the back of the box,on things I have used for years I don't always do that.

I know BAD IDEA.

I knew about aspirin and Reyes's syndrome. Now they are warning about all things containing Salicylates. This I did not know.

I had a severe bout of diarrhea last week, too. Finally, on day 5, my husband insisted I try some meds, so I agreed and he bought some Immodium A-D Liquid for adults, for me. It not only helped me get through an almost 2-hour drive with no problems, but the diarrhea completely cleared up. I hope your son feels better soon!

He is better now. School is out so I hope he will not get sick again.

Imodium is what I got him. He is a 5'8 160lbs 13 year old.Last fall he was 2" shorter then me. Now he's 3" taller.

Doctor told me when they get to 100lbs they can have the adult dosage.

I was just supprised about the warning for Reyes's syndorme.

• 3 weeks later...

Something that will also clear up diarrhea without the Pepto or Kaopectate is simply physillium husks or soluble fiber added to something like applesauce.

You don't want to exceed more than a tablespoon per pint, for it REALLY does bulk up.

I've used this without fail and also for the little kiddos whose guts are so sensitive.

It might cause some gut 'growling' but nothing to be concerned about.

For my 2.5 year old godson we used 1/2 C applesauce with 1/2 tsp of fiber. We did 2 doses of this for 3 days. He was fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, the boy has not been sick since school let out so I think it had to be something there.

He was in a self- contained classroom most of the day. This year more of his classes will be outside this class.

I hope he will not get sick as often.

One month befor school begains again so we will see.

C4C I am going to get the Physillun husks to keep on hand for next time.

You might want to report it to the school system and/or the doctor you use. One of the schools around here had an air quality problem that they eventually linked to children and adult illnesses, caused by molds in the venting system. If no one reports it, it doesn't get investigated. At the very least, ask them to record your experiences to compare with possible others' next year.

(((((((((((((gofish))))))))))))

Archived