MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Amish Friendship Bread

Once upon a time a friend gave me starter for Amish Friendship Bread. When I moved across half the country I had to throw it away. Does anyone have a recipe to make the starter??

Once upon a time a friend gave me starter for Amish Friendship Bread. When I moved across half the country I had to throw it away. Does anyone have a recipe to make the starter??

This is what I have.

SOUR DOUGH STARTER FOR AMISH FRIENDSHIP CAKE

Printed from COOKS.COM

□ 1 c. flour

□ 1 c. sugar

□ 1 c. milk

Day 1: Stir (do not refrigerate mix).

Day 2: Stir.

Day 3: Stir.

Day 4: Stir.

Day 5: Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk and stir.

Day 6: Stir.

Day 7: Stir.

Day 8: Stir.

Day 9: Stir.

Day 10: Stir and again add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk.

and this, hope it helps

AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD

Printed from COOKS.COM

□ 1 c. Amish Bread Starter

□ 2/3 c. cooking oil

□ 2 c. flour

□ 1 c. sugar

□ 3 eggs

□ 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

□ 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

□ 1/2 tsp. vanilla

□ 1/2 tsp. salt

□ 1/2 tsp. baking soda

Your choice of raisins, nuts, dates, apples, banana, chocolate chips, etc.

Combine dry ingredients. Add to remaining mixed wet ingredients. Place batter in two greased and sugared 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pans or use 4 mini-loaf pans. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes.

Per one-twelfth large loaf: 145 calories, 2 grams protein, 19 grams carbohydrate, 7 grams fat, 34 milligrams cholesterol, 92 milligrams sodium. Calories from fat: 42 percent.

Or use flour.

Amish Friendship Bread

Important Note: Don't use metal spoons or equipment. Use only glazed ceramic or plastic bowls or containers. Do not refrigerate.

The Recipe

1 cup live yeast starter

day 1: Put starter in a non metallic bowl and cover loosely or leave in large zip lock bag.

days 2-5: Stir with a wooden spoon if in bowl or mash bag. If bag is bulging open to let out excess air.

day 6: Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk. Stir with a wooden spoon.

days 7-9: Stir with a wooden spoon or mash bag.

Day 10: Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Stir. Take out 3 cups and place 1 cup each into three separate plastic containers or large zip lock bags. Give one cup and a copy of this recipe to three friends. To the remaining batter, add the following ingredients and mix well.

1 cup oil

1/2 cup milk

3 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

In a separate bowl combine the following dry ingredients and mix well:

1 - (5.1 oz) box instant vanilla pudding

2 cups flour

1 cup sugar

1-1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp nutmeg (optional)

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup nuts (optional)

1 cup raisins (optional)

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix and pour into two well greased and sugared bread pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.

Friendship Bread Starter

1 can (20 0z.) pineapple chunks, drained

1 can (16 oz.) apricots,drained

1 can (16 oz.) sliced peaches,drained

1 jar (10 oz.) maraschino cherries,drained

1 1/4 cups brandy

1 1/4 cups sugar

To make the fruit starter, combine all the starter ingredients in a clean, large glass jar. Stir with a wooden spoon. Cover and let stand at room temp for 3 weeks, stirring at least twice a week. After three weeks, you can begin making the cake

Continued

Amish Friendship Cake

1 pint friendship starter

1 can (16 oz.) sliced peaches,each cut into 4 pieces

1 (16 0z.) pineapple chunks, each cut in half

2 jars (10 0z.) marschino cherries, drained and each cut in half

2 boxes golden butter cake mix

2 boxes vanilla instant pudding

5 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/3 cups vegt. oil

8 eggs

2 cups golden raisins

2 cups chopped nuts

2 cups flaked coconut

Day 1: In a very large glass jar or bowl combine 1 pint of the starter with the sliced peaches and their juices. Add 2 1/2 cups of the sugar and stir everyday for 10 days. When not stirring mixture, keep it covered with a paper towel, foil or a loose lid. Let set at room temp. Do not refrigerate it or cover it airtight. A pan of water underneath the jar or bowl will keep ants out.

Continued

Day 10: Add 1 can of chunk pineapple and its juice. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar. Stir everyday for 10 days. The color should change and the mixtue should foam when stirred.

Day 20: Add 2 jars drained marschino cherries. Add 2 1/2 cups of sugar and stir everyday for the final 10 days.

Day 30: Drain fruit and reserve it and the liquid. Pour the liquid into 3 glasses or ceramic pint jars. One for you to start your next cake and 2 for friends. Cake must be started within 3 days after recieving the starter or you should freeze it to use later. Do not use plastic or metal containers to store liquid.

Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour two 9x13 baking pans. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix,oil and eggs. Stir in the drained reserved fruit from the starter. Stir in the raisins, nuts and coconut. Stir until all ingredients are well combined. The batter will be stiff. Pour batter into the prepared pans. Bake at 325 for 55 - 65 mins.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me use this as my introduction. I am an old order Mennonite (OOM), who works in an electrified library, and thereby has access to the internet. My work requires such access, so it is allowed. Otherwise, I am as traditional as one can get. (Cape dress, prayer cap, etc.) In time, I am sure my story will come out, but I warn there are a lot of twists and turns.

My Warning:

'Amish Friendship Bread', sourdoughs, etc, are under ordnung restrictions for just about every branch of the brethren (Mennonites, Amish, Hutterites, etc). The reason is the poisonings when starting a new batch. We had one last month, in the attached Amish community. RIP.

What you are doing is allowing yeast and like organisms to start and grow. But you do not know if you are getting the 'good' ones, not one of the bad. Once started, the existing fight off the new, thus being preservative, but you need to be sure you have the good first.

If you have local markets, where our kinds sell, ask. Ask, and many of us will get you starter from our stocks. The word is pronounced 'thumb-ling', and that is how we give it, a thumb sized dollup in a wax paper wrap. We often trade such starters, as different batches give different tastes. We will do this for English, as we do not want to see anyone get hurt with a bad 'batch'.

One can buy pressed pellets of the 'good' organisms for long term storage, but I would advise against it. The taste is off.

Sarah.

of the Librum.

Welcome Sarah and thank you, that's very interesting.

Are there many poisonings from things like sourdough? How about canning? I ask because we often here things like "the Amish do it this way and they don't get sick" but maybe we just don't hear about it.

Pricke,

Thank you for the welcome.

To answer the question, I am sure there is much more than is reported. What made this one so, umm..., poignant, is that there was death, and it was close to home.

Something I suspect you are also not aware of: when English say 'canning', we say 'jarring'. We differentiate between. We do both, depending on what we are preserving. Almost every enclave and community has community can sealers. We buy the cans in bulk, and we wifes get them at cost 'plus penny'. It can be quite the community event!

Another point, we have different types of jars. I suspect you only use Bell/Ball jars. They are not the only ones. There is also the glass lid rubber ring clamp jars, and the water seal jars. Those are the glass ones, there are also ceramic and metal jars. Again, it depends on what you are trying to preserve. Generally speaking, I avoid Bell/Ball, as I have had seal failures, but never with the others. Correction: The only failures were using 'official' lids, many communities and enclaves punch and 'goo' their own.

A bit of humor for you. My late mentor custom made, for his wife, some metal jars which she willed to me, copper plated aluminum rubber ring clamp top. I am very glad he did. My two kinder are good at dropping jars.

Whoops, another student bus just pulled up, gotta go...

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Thank you so much for the information, Sarah! That is very valuable information and it reinforces my determination to NEVER EVER make either recipe ever again. WHY? They are both unbelievably delicious, especially the fruit one. Oh My Goodness, if I made one of those cakes, I could eat the entire thing all by myself! And since gluttony is a sin, I'm stearing clear! I don't mean to belittle your information, Sarah. I would never have considered the dangers involved if you hadn't posted it. But, if you and your family don't need to count calories or want a delicious cake, track down one of Sarah's safe "thumblings" and go for it! Both are terrific recipes.

Welcome, Sarah! By the way, do we run the same risks when making sourdough starter?

Welcome, Sarah! By the way, do we run the same risks when making sourdough starter?

Yes. Again, get a good known.

Another way to get thumb-lings is to visit at fair time the county fairs. There are several thumb-ling categories. If you want a thumb-ling, you write your name on the back of the exhibit slip, and 'settle-up' is the Monday after the fair.

I do not know how your fairs are, but ours are very heavy in livestock and baking. Also, ours are 'open', you do not have to be in the county in question, and our ribbons are hand made beauties, so we have a large influx from the others, to include some in Pennsylvania.

Do not even try to enter any apple butter, etc. They always win. <_<

And since gluttony is a sin, I'm stearing clear!

That has never been a problem with me, if I gain weight, it never goes to my waist, etc. It goes to my 'super-structure'. And no, I do not use 'cup' bras, only shelf ones, as is customary.

(Story coming on...)

I admit I am spoiled. I have access to all the old cookbooks, different grains, 'groceries' (good word? 'store bought'?), and I like to experiment. That mentor/elder, he was called 'Majere', was always very supportive, and appreciative of my tinkering. Lee, his English wife was also. That woman could cook! And she was not restricted to our traditional foods. I learned a lot from her! Another oddity is that he had his own kitchen.

I can not complain, 'tinkering' got me my second husband. FYI: I was widowed, with kinder, and it is not common for us to remarry. 'Widles' traditionally are 'protected' until they find a position in the enclave, and work at it as 'spinsters', which is how I became a librarian. Perhaps 'protected' is not a good word choice, 'supported' might be better, the widre (and kinder) is adopted into the household for a while after such a loss. Majere and Lee were my protectors.

Another of my bad habits is to overbake, and leave the extra, umm... 'mini-buns' on the warmer shelf.

Majere, when he had a thorny issue, and wanted to 'relax' a situation, would sometimes ask to 'borrow' Lee's kitchen, as it was close to the Librum offices, about a hundred yards. He ALWAYS asked, it was part of the courtesy they gave each other. The warming shelf always got raided.

Amos, our in-enclave master book binder, often found himself 'on the rug' for being so offstandish. One day he visited alone, asking for a bun. Then he proposed. I accepted. No, I am not complaining.

Sorry for the ramble, and I must get back to work.

Sarah

Archived