22 replies to this topic

#1 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,774 posts
  • Interests:horses, rural living

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

Just something I stumbled onto today while enjoying the hobby of browsing the Net [while I can connect.... rolleyes.gif ]

I don't remember seeing this here at MrsS before..??? It's a particular concept of improved campfire.gif fire cooking. Similar to a keyhole campfire. But more of a permanent structure.

Take a look........

Some tech info about emissions, etc.
http://www.aprovecho.org/lab/index.php

General data/pics
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Justa_Stove

Good description and pics/diagram
http://solarcooking....ki/Rocket_Stove

Someone who built one and good information in the comments
http://www.homegrown...cket-stove.html

Company who actually sells
http://stovetec.net/us/

MtRider smile.gif
Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#2 CrabGrassAcres

CrabGrassAcres

Munchie Mama

• Users2
  • 8,310 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

I've looked at them some. I've never made one, but I have made hobo stoves. Could probably make one in the dark at this point!
"Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed." Ps 57:1

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise,making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. " Eph 5:15,16

"Do not be afraid because of the words that you have heard" 2 Kings 19:6
Posted Image

Have you hugged your goose today?

#3 gofish

gofish

my Dear Husband's cheerleader

• Users2
  • 1,485 posts
  • Interests:reading, old cookbooks , how to books

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:02 PM

This doesn't look too hard to make.

#4 mommato3boys

mommato3boys

19th century girl stuck in the 21st century

• Users2
  • 4,515 posts
  • Interests:digging in the dirt, camping, reading, crafts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Bumping this up.

I want a rocket stove. I just watched a video where he built one and boiled a gallon of water in 7 minutes.This would come in handy if we were without power in the summer....it would be great in an outdoor kitchen.

Posted Image
wife to a darling man since 1981 and mother to 3 wonderful young men.
http://muffiesplace.blogspot.com
Don't tick off a redhead it very well could be the last thing you ever do.

#5 sassenach

sassenach
  • Users2
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

yes they are nice and you can make them from smaller food cans and put it in a BOB to use, then all you need is a handful of sticks and something to light it with. It will boil hotdogs well enough in a small pot of water or make soup or coffee water easily , as well as the nicer versions. Some are on youtube. They are called woodgas stoves too. There is  a nice one made from empty propane tank 10 gal or 20 gallon in size, to give you some perspective. 

~~~~ Previously known as Arby . :americanflag:

#6 CrabGrassAcres

CrabGrassAcres

Munchie Mama

• Users2
  • 8,310 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

"Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed." Ps 57:1

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise,making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. " Eph 5:15,16

Posted Image

#7 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,774 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

I absolutely love this concept....for mini stove or whole cabin heating....

Low emissions/low fuel usage. 

MtRider :thumbs: 

Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#8 CrabGrassAcres

CrabGrassAcres

Munchie Mama

• Users2
  • 8,310 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

I posted the utube above on another forum and one of the members made one (bricks, not metal) and says it works really well. It is cheap and you can put it together in minutes with no tools.

Posted Image

#9 sassenach

sassenach
  • Users2
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

brick ones are great for a permanent camp or several day camp , the small can based rocket stoves are more portable for single campers , it depends on what you need to have. I like several types for a variety of circumstances but the small can one ,, if made correctly is sufficient for daily meal and water needs actually for one person on the move or  a short emergency .

#10 kyles mom

kyles mom

Family Member

• Users2
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

A friend of mine made the brick rocket stove & was able to cook a steak perfectly.  I'm going to make one come spring.

#11 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,774 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

There is a FREE eBook today {Saturday 1/26] about a DIY wood gas camping stove....  Skimmed quick thru the book and it's not the same elbow bend type tho.....  An inner and outer chamber type ....  Dunno.  Is it the same type of technology in a different shape?

http://www.amazon.co...s2&tag=paspr-20

MtRider  :reading:

Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#12 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Wasn't there a discussion somewhere here about not using those type of cement  'bricks' in CGS's video? Something about how they will fall apart or explode when used in a direct fire situation. I THINK you need to use brick fire liners that are pretty expensive. I searched but couldn't find the info. Maybe someone here can jog my memory. I might be thinking about something else though. :shrug:

You can't always get what you want, babe

But if you try sometimes, you just might find

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#13 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,774 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

In that last video, a box appears briefly stating that the type of bricks used might break if they get super hot.  You have to look fast to see it. 

I think the discussion you're talking about is done in DIY, Jeepers. 

MtRider  ---how 'bout the ones made of clay?  They glob clay onto two 4' (?) pvc pipes and get them all covered and smoothed before removing the pvc pipes [twist and pull slowly].  Dry and fire it up. 

Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#14 CrabGrassAcres

CrabGrassAcres

Munchie Mama

• Users2
  • 8,310 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Just regular clay bricks work ok.

Posted Image

#15 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,774 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

Know what's funny?  I have NO recollection of posting this thread back in 2010..... 

MtRider :sassing:   ---I pour data in and it leaks out my toes....  :rolleyes:

Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#16 sassenach

sassenach
  • Users2
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

I think my landlady would assume Im up to making a spare oven in the apartment if she finds me piling up a stack of oven brick, lol.  Honestly I would just make one out of mud the old fashioned way in a permanent like camp I think. it would be luxurious to use fire bricks, lol.  Don't think I will be getting any soon but best idea if you are building one in your yard or have the space to pack some in a box for your bug out vehicle.

Fire bricks would be nice to have. If I was in a different set up that is the way I would go for hardware to build a proper rocket stove.

Edited by arby, 01 February 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#17 Ambergris

Ambergris

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,491 posts
  • Interests:Reading. Writing. Gardening and permaculture. Cat-wrangling. Puppy-feeding. Beekeeping.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

What's the difference between plain red bricks and fire bricks?

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." Edward R. Murrow (1908-1965)

#18 sassenach

sassenach
  • Users2
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Different clay composite and fire bricks usually are  a golden white color I think, different sizes slightly too. I remember seeing them. I think they also put them in woodstoves to line the box? Or they used to. I have not looked at new stoves in almost ten yrs so it could be different these days. Its a good thing to look up the particulars on. I have a feeling they are maybe a different mix of clays, and firing is different to harden them.  Red bricks are probably softer as a result and not as guaranteed to not bust or explode .  Fire places use them in the fire hearth area ( fire bricks) . 

Red clay will work though if you don't have the fire brick.  That is a very good question but fire brick is the best choice if one can arrange to use them in building such things as ovens when working outside. 

Concrete blocks may have weak spots, airholes, pockets which is why they can explode or break from the heat, plus they are thinner than bricks are, the walls of them.

Edited by arby, 01 February 2013 - 09:20 PM.

#19 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

I have firebricks in my fireplace insert. They are bigger than a regular size brick. 

They are sort of a creamy color. At least I think the are. I've been here 22 years and the insert was here before me so they have been through a lot of fires. Now they are dark gray sort of like cement.

You can't always get what you want, babe

But if you try sometimes, you just might find

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#20 kappydell

kappydell

Family Member

• Users2
  • 1,045 posts
  • Interests:self reliance; lo-tech living; cooking, crafts, anything to do with food!!, camping, livestock, garden & orchard, hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, etc.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

I teach the rocket stove thing from bricks in my preppers class, along with the thermal wrap. Just next week I have a class on cooking without power, and you can bet hobo stoves, buddy burners, the toilet paper-paint can stove, and the brick rocket stove will all be making an appeance. My fellow group members like to keep things simple and cheap as possible - most have kids. I bought bricks for the rocket stove today for 50 cents each. Oh yeah...Im also showing how to make a dutch oven from two cheap pie tins and binder clips, for baking biscuits and the like.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users