Photo

Mice hate peppermint?

40 replies to this topic

#1 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,608 posts
  • Interests:Crafts, cooking & baking, parenting... Oh, LOTS of stuff!!

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:12 AM

We have been invaded by meeces. After 17 years, they have managed to find enough places to enter that DH finally had to search out possible entrances, and after pulling off some siding, he found a hole where he *thought* he had patched well enough... they just went a little higher and dug in. And brought their friends and relatives.

So we're trying peppermint oil, bought from the 'net, and have it on cotton balls and "feminine panty liners", as suggested by someone online, because the liners can be stuck onto walls, etc. Before the oil arrived, I threw some Altoids around in a couple of places because that was also a suggestion. Supposedly we're starting at one end of the house and they will move further until they leave.

I'm not sure if it's going to work, but at least the house smells nice. Well, until you get the windows closed overnight and it gets really intense...

cat.jpg

Where words and actions disagree, the heart is revealed.

Look how often the unexpected happens... and we still don't expect it.

#2 Annarchy

Annarchy

the softer side of chaos

• Users2
  • 5,668 posts
  • Interests:God & Life

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:41 AM

Wow, I didn't know that they don't like it, I hope it works.

I got to MIL's yesterday, as I stuck my key in the door, the distinct smell of moth balls slapped me in the face. She has them everywhere and claims they keep all the 'nasty 'lil creatures' away. LOL They repel me rather well too, at least until my senses adjust, then the only time they are noticeable is when we go through the doors. Maybe I can convince her to change her method. Probably not.

Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

#3 MamaHill

MamaHill
  • Users2
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

Oh I just cleaned out my pantry last week since we had a little invader (praying it was only ONE invader). I have such a hatred for mice, really I do.

Just wanted to say I could relate. *sigh*

I had no idea they didn't like peppermint!!

#4 HazelStone

HazelStone

Still thinking about it...

• Users2
  • 418 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

We have been invaded by meeces. Posted Image

After 17 years, they have managed to find enough places to enter that DH finally had to search out possible entrances, and after pulling off some siding, he found a hole where he *thought* he had patched well enough... they just went a little higher and dug in. And brought their friends and relatives. Posted Image

So we're trying peppermint oil, bought from the 'net, and have it on cotton balls and "feminine panty liners", as suggested by someone online, because the liners can be stuck onto walls, etc. Before the oil arrived, I threw some Altoids around in a couple of places because that was also a suggestion. Supposedly we're starting at one end of the house and they will move further until they leave. Posted Image

I'm not sure if it's going to work, but at least the house smells nice. Well, until you get the windows closed overnight and it gets really intense... Posted Image

Keep us updated in how that goes. Mom and Dad's house has a horrible mouse problem; Mom talked about watching one chew/scratch through drywall and drop into the house that way! :o She has two good mousers and a third that likes it recreationally...but there's just too darn many now.

I've seen evidence of mice around the outside of my house. No evidence of invasion yet. My adolescent kittens hardly let a fly survive in here anyway. :D They are hungry all the time and, well...they utilize the resources available to them.
"Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard; be evil." - Unknown

#5 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

Honored trouble maker...

• Users2
  • 1,265 posts
  • Interests:Running, canning, hunting, gardening, quilting, animals, crocheting, baking, once a month cooking, travel

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:46 PM

add me to the list!!! i also want to know if this works--sounds a lot better than anything else i have tried!!! poison is out because of the pets--i hate traps--esp having to empty them--i sure hope peppermint works!!!

The answer to "1984" is 1776

WW 2 could have been avoided by the bravery of one good man with a good rifle

Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get me.

#6 Christy

Christy

Family Friend

• Users2
  • 1,515 posts
  • Interests:The outdoors, dogs, crafts, anything you can do with yarn, fabric and cloth. History, people and the way people stay the same through out the ages.

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:51 AM

Old timer's trick at allotments here is plant mint on corners of veggie beds and sometimes inbetween.
They swear it keeps the meeces away.
She looked at the wolf with a sweet smile . The wolf asked what was in her basket. `Food for Grandmother`she said..
She then opened her basket and took out a sawn off shotgun.
A few days later she walked through the woods in her new wolfskin furcoat...

Lesson learned, so not mess with girls who are brave enough to go into the woods on their own.

#7 indy gal preps

indy gal preps
  • Users2
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:39 AM

What about using peppermint candies unwrapped or would that just attract ANTS? I also HATE those meeces to pieces and I saw a black one running around in our garden shed the other day.

#8 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,608 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:13 AM

Peppermint candies like candy canes would get sticky and attract the other pests. But peppermint Altoids are drier, and are intense enough that they're supposed to drive mice away. I bought a six-pack at Sam's Club for $7.42, and DH likes them so we'll eventually use them up. Those are what I tried behind the couch, behind the computer desk, bookshelf, etc. They *might* attract ants, but I'm willing to take that risk for the moment.

Yes, Christy, the plants around the foundation are supposed to help, too. We have very sandy, gravelly soil around our foundation, and the mice have tunnels all through it. If we can amend the soil, I sure wouldn't mind peppermint there! wink.gif

I'm not sure if moth balls work for mice, but they'll keep moths and other bugs away. But I can't stand them, myself, so they'd keep *me* away, too. huh.gif Though I don't mind them in storage stuff, I have found it very difficult to get the smell out of cloth.

I'm not hearing mice in the "upstairs" much anymore. They got so bold that I saw them during the day, which is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! But I'm not convinced they're gone. I've tried to eliminate their food sources in the basement, which is probably why they came up in the first place. (Tip... keep your leftover winter bird seed in a tight, mouse-proof container! As well as the fish food DH keeps handy just inside the basement door.)

cat.jpg

#9 K_L

K_L

New Friend

• Users2
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:19 PM

hey Cat Good luck!!
acutually pepermint will grow anywhere all they need is water. Just ask lady yarrow. she grows about 20 different types. (my favorite is chocolatemint it really does taste like chocolate.) and Annarchy moth balls have been proven to cause cancer(yikes!!) but just smelling them almost kills me, my brother uses them to keep skunks out of his shed, I personally would rather deal with skunk.

please keep us posted

#10 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,848 posts
  • Interests:horses, rural living

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

EX-Queen of Mice reporting in here. For over a decade in this old cabin, I've had an HORRID onslaught of mice every fall. Of those that get upstairs, the cat has caught THREE in a single nite. Dropped a LIVE one on top of me IN MY BED! ohmy.gif

Except this one. band.gif cele.gif balloons.gif amen.gif

Unfortunately, it was NOT the peppermint oil on cotton balls that I tried last fall. shakinghead.gif I caught mice in traps set right next to HIGH-SMELLIN' peppermint balls. YMMV? But from my experience with Colorado cousins, didn't phase them. shrug.gif

My solution Blushing.gif which I SHOULD have figured out a decade ago...... {sheeeeesh, you'd think I had a major brain malfunction or something, huh? }.........was to close the access. I rather thot it was hopeless to try, being an OLD cabin and all. But I determined that last fall was THE LAST TIME I WOULD SHARE A RESIDENCE WITH THESE MICE!!! motz_6.gif

I sat down and really LOOKED at our garage door. We kept extending the door down further into the dirt but they'd just tunnel under deeper and deeper. So I ripped off all the extentions on the door. Got some cement patio bricks and laid them carefully under the lip of the door. Easier said than done; involved hammer/chisel to get enough of the crumbled-off garage floor out of the way so the bricks will set deep enough. THAT was the problem. The floor cement should have jutted out far enough for the door to rest on cement...not dirt. That front edge was no longer there.

Well, I pitched a fit to the owners but the middle person was late in dealing with it and I just did most of it myself. Just so I'd keep them out for *this* winter. But WHENEVER the repair guy shows up, he can reset them a bit more evenly [with better tools than I have!] and go ahead and cement them all together. And waddya know? The top of the garage door shuts now too. rolleyes.gif

But for now, I've seen NO EVIDENCE of mice in my garage.

bounce.gif wub.gif happy0203.gif

The End!

MtRider [......I wish y'all a happy ending too!!! I SO detest the damage and the hantavirus threat in the SW region]

Edited by Mt_Rider, 18 September 2010 - 01:30 PM.

Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#11 K_L

K_L

New Friend

• Users2
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

btw, I know that this doesn't work for everyone, when i had an invasion, traps, poision, had no effect over several months. (never tried pepermint) but some kids were giving away kittens out side the local grocery store, so I took one home. it only took 4 days and there wasn't a mouse in the house.
that kitty kept our home free of mice for 7 years, until he was catnapped buy a neighbors mentaly handycapped child. My kids were not happy (it was a good life experience for them) but we decided that it was best to let him keep the cat who he now keeps as a constant companion.

#12 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,608 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:52 AM

UPDATE... DON'T LOOK, MT_RIDER!!!!! blink.gif

Apparently they don't hate peppermint THAT much... or DH succeeded in sealing up their *one* hole and they had no place to go. I figured they probably had more than one hole, so I wasn't too hopeful that he'd found it. But last night's "adventure" made me look around more.

I've been setting those plastic traps that are easier to set and to clean. Pretty effective, although a few times they got a leg caught instead of instantly dying, which breaks my heart. I hate to see any creature suffer. sad.gif

So last night I was taking the new laundry supplies down to put them away and surprised a SNAKE!!! 0327.gif Little bugger took one look at me and took off behind the furnace. I, of course, did my best damsel-in-distress scream... blush.gif Hubby made his way downstairs after lilDD made it clear that Mom saw a *snake*. Usually a snake will try to hide, but this one came *at* us when we shined the flashlight on him. To be fair, it looked like he had some kind of painful open sore on his tail, but it was strange.

Snake pee STINKS!!! yuk.gif When DH picked him up, he tried to bite him and then wet all over in his thrashing around. I had some plastic water softener salt bags on the floor that caught most of it, so I just rolled them up and took them to the trash. (I use them to carry out any heavier trash instead of using the cheap trash bags, and they had kind of slipped down instead of staying sideways against the softener tank... which this time I'm happy about! wink.gif )

We thought the second "safety sump hole" was sealed well enough, but it's been a couple of years since the last snake got in that way, and I strongly suspect it's loosened enough to let them through again. So ~luckily~ DH has taken today off and will be able to take the time to check *that* out.

So looking around in that area, we found that *4* mice have drowned in the open sump pit that drains and pumps out. That is a hopeful sign, because it means that they are so desperate to get water that they're going there. They would go out and go to the pond if they could, so maybe they are no longer able to get out.

Caught another one in a trap... have 2 more traps to check after getting lilDD off to school...

I really don't want to use snakes as mouse control... dry.gif

cat.jpg

#13 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,608 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:10 PM

Update...

No more snakes, thank goodness. Posted Image

I'm not sure if the peppermint helped or not. After DH sealed up that hole, I kept trapping them and I guessed that I had them all. He sprayed peppermint oil outside all around the basement where it meets the house base, hopefully to deter them from trying to come in a new place. I saw no more signs of mice anywhere, and didn't hear them late at night.

Then today I found one in a trap, and I think it had been there for a day or two. :0327:

So I'm resetting the traps again, just in case.

Verdict on the peppermint? I think it helped keep them out of areas like behind my freestanding cupboard. I heard them there at night, and after tossing a few Altoids behind and under it, they stopped. But it didn't seem to make any difference behind the couch. (Kitty was entertained watching them run in and out the side... nearly caught one a few times!)

But I sure wouldn't trust it to just "chase" them out. Invest in traps, too.

Posted Image

cat.jpg

#14 amyd

amyd

New Friend

• Users2
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

I've also heard they don't like Pine Sol. We had some mice several years ago one fall. I set pint jars with about an inch of un-diluted pine sol (even sprung for the real stuff, no generic) in the corners of areas I'd seen them or evidence of them. That and some traps did the trick.

#15 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,608 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:44 PM

Sounds like a good one to try in the pole barn! Thanks, amyd!!

:bighug2:

cat.jpg

#16 indy gal preps

indy gal preps
  • Users2
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:32 AM

NO MORE MICE! I found some essential oil (peppermint) in my soap supplys and went out to the garage and sprinkled some where I thought they were getting in , the garage smells nice,and its been several days now and they are Gone!

#17 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,608 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:35 PM

:tapfoot: :soapbox:

I went downstairs to throw towels in the washer. It's been two or three days since I did any laundry. *LUCKILY*, I saw the dead mouse *before* I dumped soap and the towels in. :o

(I once soaped a live mouse pretty well by pouring in the soap without looking! :yuk: I'm sure he was an outcast when he found a hole outside! I just grabbed him with gloves and threw him OUT.)

So when I found that dead mouse in the washer, I checked the trap back by the furnace. It was missing. So I looked, and there it was at the bottom of the sump pit, drowned mouse trapped in it.

I thought we were done with this. I thought I wouldn't have to set traps and watch closely and look for *poops* to clean up.

So DH fished out the drowned one, and grabbed out the dead one, and we washed out the washer with a load of hot bleach water.

Apparently there's a new generation coming of age, or they've found another way in. Either way, I'm not happy. Posted Image

Posted Image

cat.jpg

#18 Amishway Homesteaders

Amishway Homesteaders

Living the Homestead Life

• Users2
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:48 AM

= = = bump = = =
OK, for some of us this is the time of the year when mice (and others) come in looking for a winter home.
So now is the time to get things ready.
:AmishMichael2:

= = = = Michael and Lori = = = =THE AMISHWAY HOMESTEADERS
= = = in touch with the past = = =

http://www.freewebs....hway_homestead/
Posted Image

#19 themartianchick

themartianchick

Quail Flockmistress

• Users2
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

I've been poisoning to get rid of the squirrel population but we are getting a few mice. We probably need to have our basement re-sealed again.

#20 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,848 posts
  • Interests:horses, rural living

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

After nearly a YEAR :cheer: without mice, late summer they got back into the garage-under-house. I think they walzted past the sleeping BigDog at the door. <_< Then evidence of that subsided after setting traps. Then this September I was attacked in the kitchen! Full out assault by a whole platoooooon! :0327: :banghead: [do we have a smilie that pulls hair out?]

I set traps; emptied ALLLLLL lower cupboards and SANITIZED/SANITIZED/SANITIZED! :yar: I'm not even DONE yet. I still have clean kitchen wares all over my couch. I've slowly begun moving things back in.

:sad-smiley-012: ...........

Yesterday, I SAW one of the dratted creatures scuttle out from the computer desk. Cat went for it and she and I spent the next 10 minutes in that game. I'd move furniture, stacks of books :busted: , and whatever else the mouse used for cover. Cat would dive but that mouse was fast. To my knowlege, I'm still sharing residence with the nasty thing!

I am BEYOND discouraged. My mom commiserates, having dealt with the constant problem in our ancient farmhouse when I was a kid. :shakinghead:

Today, I'm using a new technique to deal with them. DENIAL :shrug:

MtRider :(
Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users