MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

dehydrating frozen berries?

You should be able to just put them on the trays frozen and dehydrate them.

It helps if they're pretty much uniform in size, but you can just let some dry longer.

They should be hard and dry.

You could also crush them up and make them into a "fruit leather".

The biggest thing (in my opinion) is thinking ahead to how you want to use them. If you will be re-hydrating them to use in cooked things, no problem. If you want to use them as a healthy snack, eaten dehydrated, no problem. But if you think you'll rehydrate them and use kind of like fresh, don't do it.

I once spent a lot of time and trouble to dehydrate white button mushrooms. I figured they'd be great in casseroles and soups. But when I used them, they had a dusty, musty smell and taste that ruined any food I put them into. I'm still not sure if I had done something "wrong" (they weren't spoiled or moldy), but I just won't do that again. :(

So be sure you actually *use* these things you dehydrate and see what's good for you before you do lots of something you don't like and won't use.

:bighug2:

Sorry, I didn't get back because my DD's internet was iffy today.

I *think* that when blueberries are frozen, the skins kind of pop on their own very slightly from the stresses.

Fresh ones are supposed to be pricked once, I think. (Gotta go get more info... :whistling: )

Archived