MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

the flu and new meds

Trudy

Has anyone else ever taken Victoza for diabetes? It is a dailey injection that allows you to slowly lower your insulin dose until you get completely off the insulin, while replacing it with Victoza. It is almost imposible to lose weight while taking insulin, but the Victoza lowers blood sugar and helps you lose weight also. I was told told to expect nausea that would decrease over time. That was true...until I got the flu! For two weeks I was unable to keep anything on my stomach. I've had the flu before with all the coughing and snoting, but never had so much nausea and gasteritis. Is this just a part of this new flu, or maybe the med? I do have a Dr's appointment soon, but just wondering if anyone else had any experience with the Victoza?

• 2 weeks later...

Trudy, how are you getting on with the Victoza? A friend of mine is shooting insulin like there's no tomorrow and it seems to lose effect.

I'd love to hear from you how you are faring.

Trudy, how are you getting on with the Victoza? A friend of mine is shooting insulin like there's no tomorrow and it seems to lose effect.

I'd love to hear from you how you are faring.

Hi Christy, Good to hear from you. Hope you are doing well. I am doing a lot better now. I was really sick for 3 weeks. A little nausea the first week of Victoza, but then a lot better until I got the flu. The dr put me on cholesterol meds the same week that I got the flu and I couldn't keep anything down for the next 2 weeks. I don't know when I have ever been so sick!! It finally dawned on me that the really bad nausea started after I started the cholesterol meds. I stoped that med and haven't been sick since!! I've worked my way up the full dosage of Victoza now, and am completely off the insulin!! I was taking 80 units of Lantus every day ( plus several shots of Novolog ) and the maximum dosage of Actos+Metformin. Now I take a tiny shot of 1.8 units of Victoza and 2 oral pills, and my numbers are good so far. I've lost 20 pounds, and feeling better every day. The Victoza supresses my appetite and I feel satisfied with a normal amount of food for the first time in my life. It does have possible side affects, and my dr is watching me closely with bloodwork. I would advise anyone considering Victoza to read all the warnings that come with it, and weigh the options. I have always been afraid of new meds, but my quality of life had gotten so bad, that I decided to try this. I ask all who read this to pray that God will protect me from side affects and maybe I can live a normal life again. Christy, I will pray that your friend finds the treatment that will work for her. I HATE DIABETES! I pray that a cure will be found soon. :pray:

Trudy it sounds you may have weighed the risks and are doing well on this med. I am very happy for you cos diabetes is not a disease where you just take med and feel better. Coming from a family where near everyone had it and I'm on the cusp, it's a drag!

So good for you to have taken this step. Losing that weight is an advantage in case of emergency as well.

Archived