Canning celery and onions

5 replies to this topic

#1 Midnightmom

Midnightmom

Y2K Leftover

• Users2
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

I would like to can a 3 veggie mix of onions, celery, and bean sprouts. :canning:

Can anyone tell me the proper time/pressure for this combination? :feedme:

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

As nations cannot be rewarded or punished in the next world, they must be in this.

By an inevitable chain of causes and effects, Providence punishes national sins by national calamities.

George Mason, Father of the "Bill of Rights"

#2 Amishway Homesteaders

Amishway Homesteaders

Living the Homestead Life

• Users2
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:52 AM

where is Violet when we need her?

Don't know about the sprouts but we do can celery and onions together for soup. The celery get to mushy to use in salads but works fine in soup. We can extra corn and string beans as well, Then when making soup just open a can of celery & onion , a can of corn and a can of string beans and add to pot of chicken stock and leftover meat from last nights dinner.

Like to do the sprouts too as I don't always have them going when I need them - Hope we can do it that way?
:AmishMichaelstraw:
= = = = Michael and Lori = = = =THE AMISHWAY HOMESTEADERS
= = = in touch with the past = = =

http://www.freewebs....hway_homestead/
Posted Image

#3 Dave Digs Dirt

Dave Digs Dirt
  • Users2
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Life in the rural country, preparedness and self-sufficiency, fishing, hunting, gardening, and home food preservation - especially canning.

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:34 AM

Instructions for canning Mixed Vegetables: NCHFP - Mixed Vegetables

75 mins for pints, 90 mins for quarts. Adjust pressure as needed for altitude. IME it will be mushy. You can freeze the mixture with no problems.

#4 Canned Nerd

Canned Nerd

Canning Nerd

• Users2
  • 1,585 posts
  • Interests:Preserving Food, Computers, Photography, Surviving Old Age

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

Celery and onions lose too much in texture in my opinion, so I prefer to dehydrate them. Campers dehydrate sprouts all the time to use as trail food.

Edited by Canned Nerd, 26 March 2011 - 10:17 AM.

Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

#5 Violet

Violet

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

I did try to post last night. I said exactly as Dave did. My computer freaked out and it would not post. Good job, Dave !

I do agree, the mixture would be too mushy for my taste. I freeze onions to pull out and use all the time. Celery I feel best dehydrated. Bean sprouts, I did not care for frozen. I just wait and buy them fresh or do without.
I can, you can, too !

#6 Midnightmom

Midnightmom

Y2K Leftover

• Users2
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

I did try to post last night. I said exactly as Dave did. My computer freaked out and it would not post. Good job, Dave !

I do agree, the mixture would be too mushy for my taste. I freeze onions to pull out and use all the time. Celery I feel best dehydrated. Bean sprouts, I did not care for frozen. I just wait and buy them fresh or do without.

Then it's a good idea I didn't buy too much..................just enough to experiment with. :ashamed0002:

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

As nations cannot be rewarded or punished in the next world, they must be in this.

By an inevitable chain of causes and effects, Providence punishes national sins by national calamities.

George Mason, Father of the "Bill of Rights"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users