Photo

Letting Carrots go to seed

2 replies to this topic

#1 MrsClark

MrsClark
  • Users2
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:sewing, crafts, hot rods and classic cars, bulldogs, food storage, politics, world events

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:53 AM

I was trying to do a little reading on letting carrots go to seed. All of my veges come from heirloom seeds so I know I can save seeds. For my carrots, I believe what I have read it that basically, I have to leave them in the ground until they bolt and go to seed. Same as say Radish or lettuce, etc. That should be in their second year.

Has anyone seeded carrots? Am I understanding this correctly?

Now when this happens, do I let the flower dry on the stem or do I cut the flower head off during blooming and then allow to dry inside, or do I put a paper bag over the top of the flower? I have heard different things, so what do you gals think?

Thanks for your expertise!

#2 themartianchick

themartianchick

Quail Flockmistress

• Users2
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:32 AM

I save carrot seeds every year... I just leave a few in the ground to over-winter. When they finally bolt in the second year, I wait for them to dry out a bit and then snip the entire head into a paper bag so that it still has ventilation to dry out completely. I am a lazy seed saver so I don't bother trying to separate the seeds from the flower head. Once it is completely dried, I just crumble the entire head and plant it all.

I essentially follow these same rules for any plants that have to over-winter before going to seed like collards, radishes, etc...

I noticed yesterday that one of my lettuce plants is already starting to bolt. They had spent two days on the potting table in the sun. Now they are back in the greenhouse.

#3 MrsClark

MrsClark
  • Users2
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:sewing, crafts, hot rods and classic cars, bulldogs, food storage, politics, world events

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

Fantastic!! Thanks for the help!

I like the lazy part!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users