Photo

Butter yield from cream?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Horseyrider

Horseyrider
  • Users2
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:All things equine, grandkids, organic gardening, canning, freezing, drying, hiking, dogs, reading, health and nutrition, and country life.

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:19 PM

Through a lovely piece of serendipity I'm going to have access to raw milk and cream again, and I miss the beautiful fresh churned sweet butter I used to make back in the days when we had dairy cows. Does anyone know approximately what the yield is from a quart or a gallon of cream? I need to tell my friend how much to hold back for me.

And ohhh, slap me silly; she also has milk fed pork. *swoon*

My car will be loaded to the roof on Tuesday. I'm coming home with half a pig, three gallons of milk and a quart of cream. That was my order before I realized I forgot I could make butter again!:cele:
A ditch somewhere-- or a creek, meadow, woodland or marsh.... These are places of initiation, where the borders between ourselves and other creatures break down, where the earth gets under our nails and a sense of place gets under our skin. --Robert Michael Pyle, The Thunder Tree

#2 Snowmom

Snowmom

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 11,499 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, bird watching, crafts, some sewing and baking.

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

Through a lovely piece of serendipity I'm going to have access to raw milk and cream again, and I miss the beautiful fresh churned sweet butter I used to make back in the days when we had dairy cows. Does anyone know approximately what the yield is from a quart or a gallon of cream? I need to tell my friend how much to hold back for me.

And ohhh, slap me silly; she also has milk fed pork. *swoon*

My car will be loaded to the roof on Tuesday. I'm coming home with half a pig, three gallons of milk and a quart of cream. That was my order before I realized I forgot I could make butter again!:cele:

Hi, it has been so long since I have churned butter, but, if you have a churn, and fill it about 1/2 full, I would think you would get at least a pound of butter from that. You also will get Buttermilk. :) Be sure to save it and use it in cake, pancakes or something. :)

#3 Horseyrider

Horseyrider
  • Users2
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:All things equine, grandkids, organic gardening, canning, freezing, drying, hiking, dogs, reading, health and nutrition, and country life.

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:38 AM

I'm not using a churn this time. I gave it to the people who bought my cow. I'm using my KitchenAid mixer, and I'm very pleased with how well it works.

I can happily report that the yield of beautiful bright yellow summer pasture butter from a half gallon of cream was 38 ounces, or a little more than nine sticks.

Oh, and I've always been a poop about saving the buttermilk. I start rinsing and rinsing and just let it go down the drain. Isn't that awful?
A ditch somewhere-- or a creek, meadow, woodland or marsh.... These are places of initiation, where the borders between ourselves and other creatures break down, where the earth gets under our nails and a sense of place gets under our skin. --Robert Michael Pyle, The Thunder Tree

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users