3 replies to this topic

#1 Amishway Homesteaders

Amishway Homesteaders

Living the Homestead Life

• Users2
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

Sad day here at the Homestead………………….

I had to go out and pull my Brussels sprouts!

Pick the last ones for Supper and it was time to go.

Now the ground around here is STIL not frozen so it was easy to pull them out. I think this is the longest I have ever had them out there? But after the first frost they get very sweet. And why pull them while they are still growing? Now most wait until the plant is full and then cut off the stock, but for us (only 2) it is easier to go out and pick what we need for Supper.

All that is left out there are carrots and cabbage (I think?) LOL

:AmishMichael2:

= = = = Michael and Lori = = = =THE AMISHWAY HOMESTEADERS
= = = in touch with the past = = =

http://www.freewebs....hway_homestead/
Posted Image

#2 Annarchy

Annarchy

the softer side of chaos

• Users2
  • 5,530 posts
  • Interests:God & Life

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

You had me worried something bad had happened. :cheeky-smiley-067:

So, when my Brussels sprouts start producing, I can pick what I need and let them continue to grow? How long do they continue to produce?

This is the first time I have tried to grow them. I planted the seeds in November, so far, the plants are over 8 inches tall and the leaves are six inches wide. With this cooler winter weather, I have covered them the couple of days of frost we have had.

Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

#3 Amishway Homesteaders

Amishway Homesteaders

Living the Homestead Life

• Users2
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:14 AM

You had me worried something bad had happened. :cheeky-smiley-067:

So, when my Brussels sprouts start producing, I can pick what I need and let them continue to grow? How long do they continue to produce?

This is the first time I have tried to grow them. I planted the seeds in November, so far, the plants are over 8 inches tall and the leaves are six inches wide. With this cooler winter weather, I have covered them the couple of days of frost we have had.

funny when I typed it in I thought. . . that sounds bad - but left it anyway?

As to Sprouts, yes you can leave them in garden and just pick what you need. Starting from the bottom up as they get to the size you want. To make them grow faster and be all the same size you will need to break off the leaves as they start to grow. Then when they are getting near ( I like them to be about 3 to 4 feet tall) to the end I alway cut off the tops so they spend more time making the Sprouts I already have grow bigger and NOT making new Sprouts.
Hope this helps?
= = = = Michael and Lori = = = =THE AMISHWAY HOMESTEADERS
= = = in touch with the past = = =

http://www.freewebs....hway_homestead/
Posted Image

#4 Annarchy

Annarchy

the softer side of chaos

• Users2
  • 5,530 posts
  • Interests:God & Life

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:11 AM

To make them grow faster and be all the same size you will need to break off the leaves as they start to grow. Then when they are getting near ( I like them to be about 3 to 4 feet tall) to the end I alway cut off the tops so they spend more time making the Sprouts I already have grow bigger and NOT making new Sprouts.
Hope this helps?

3 to 4 foot tall!!!!!? Oh my!!! How far apart should they be. Mine are about a foot apart, is that too close?

Which leaves do you break off, bottom leaves or top?

Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users