Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

#42 CrabGrassAcres

CrabGrassAcres

Munchie Mama

• Users2
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Oh dear. I wish some folks in the medical profession could get their act together. Hope you and your mom are feeling better soon.
"Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed." Ps 57:1

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise,making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. " Eph 5:15,16

"Do not be afraid because of the words that you have heard" 2 Kings 19:6
Posted Image

Have you hugged your goose today?

#43 snapshotmiki

snapshotmiki

Farm Wife

• Users2
  • 2,389 posts
  • Interests:Photography, canning, schnauzers, sewing

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

I'm sorry you have the added stress of the sickness! The doctor just wanted the money from the visit, I would think. I hope your mom recovers soon!
John 14:27 ...Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Job 13:15 Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him...

Where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?!

Miki

Posted Image

#44 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,465 posts
  • Interests:horses, rural living

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

I wish we could get some of us together to go cook you up some meals :cook: , do anything needed at your house :dusting: :clothesline: , and bring some flowers :bouquet: to brighten up late winter. Then we'd all tell you to :bathbaby: and take a nap!

But instead we'll continue to ask the Lord, our God to bless your efforts, calm and strengthen you, and give you peace amidst :twister3:

MtRider

Edited by Mt_Rider, 27 February 2012 - 09:53 PM.

Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#45 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,500 posts
  • Interests:Crafts, cooking & baking, parenting... Oh, LOTS of stuff!!

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

I'm so sorry. :hug3:

**Praying with the others for God's grace to help you through.**

cat.jpg

Where words and actions disagree, the heart is revealed.

Look how often the unexpected happens... and we still don't expect it.

#46 Jori

Jori

happy Hoosier Mama

• Users2
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Adding my prayers

#47 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

:bighug2:

You can't always get what you want, babe

But if you try sometimes, you just might find

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#48 The MacKinnon

The MacKinnon
  • Users2
  • 1,729 posts
  • Interests:Christian Faith & Theology, Homesteading, History, Preps, Dogs, Horses

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Thanks y'all. She was tired today (sat up a long time and it wears her out) and seemed disoriented, but I just talked to her to say goodnight and she sounded stronger - alert. DH and I were going to go over to her house to finish boxing and moving the last of her things but I was too tired to manage it, so we'll have to hit it tomorrow evening (end of month, rental house). But I got the utilities set to make their final reading, mail changed over and all, so things should be ok. I can kick back Thursday at work - the kids have a test and everything is done for that, so I don't have that added stress.

I'm not sure when she will be released though. Oh and we found out she doesn't have Medicare part B - which pays for the in home hospital equipment. Neither does her Blue Cross, but we decided to go ahead and rent the hospital bed and buy the bedside commode for her. Not sure what will happen with in home physical therapy, She received it a couple of years ago when she had another bout of pneumonia. The folks who do this at the hospital are checking on it for me.

I'll rest easier when I've got her moved out of there and can get things set up for her here.

Thanks y'all. Knowing your praying and pulling for us means so much!
Posted Image
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow
for those who do not. ~Thomas Jefferson

#49 Stephanie

Stephanie

Mom of Many

• Users2
  • 6,582 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

Alexis, I'll be praying too. Very tough season you are facing. The blessing of having parents and grandparents with such longevity is priceless. The blessing for your mom to have such a dedicated daughter is also priceless. This is your moment of crisis, you are doing such a good job. Pace yourself, keep yourself strong and healthy. Much love to you both!

#50 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,465 posts
  • Interests:horses, rural living

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:38 AM

Just occurred to me today that I haven't seen Alexis post since this. :sad-smiley-012:

Anyone heard from her? If her mom is now under her care in their home, she's likely VERY busy and exhausted but....I'd like to hear how she's doing.

MtRider :grouphug:
Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#51 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,500 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

Yup, I was starting to wonder, too. I emailed her...

:pray:

cat.jpg

#52 themartianchick

themartianchick

Quail Flockmistress

• Users2
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:12 AM

Oh my goodness! We really havent heard from her in awhile... Please keep us posted if you get a reply, Cat!

#53 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,500 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

She'll be in as soon as she can.

(today)

Hi Cat!
Things are going ok and I'll be posting an update; I was thinking about doing that sooner but my mom is home now with us and things are just kinda crazy. But I've felt the prayers and I'm so thankful for them.

More later and hugs back to y'all,

Alexis

cat.jpg

#54 The MacKinnon

The MacKinnon
  • Users2
  • 1,729 posts
  • Interests:Christian Faith & Theology, Homesteading, History, Preps, Dogs, Horses

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

HI y'all and thank you so much for your prayers and concern. :hug3:

Mom was released back on March 17th and has been here since. DH has been magnificent in taking care of her during the day when I'm gone and they're both trying hard. Her condition is stable; she can walk with the walker but that's as taxing as we want to go. The physical therapist comes 2x a week now to work with her and the nurse (this is all home health care stuff) comes once a week to check her vitals. The biggest thing has been pain management; she had a few times when I really thought this was it but we're giving her the pain medication 2x a day now and it helps. She doesn't eat much though - and that's not good. She only weighed 100 lbs before her fall and now she's at about 89. She's also had allergies/medication reaction where her nose runs out of control. We do have dogs but this was going on in the hospital and her sneezing fits have been going on for years (you can about set your watch for 4 pm when it starts).

Last Monday night, I put her to bed and wondered if she' make it through the night, then about 1 am we heard her tooling down the hall, laughing and talking as if she was on the grand tour and had one too many margaritas!!! :0327: Well, at least she was feeling better!! When I got home tonight, though, she was in bed and is real disoriented right now and a little frantic so things go hour to hour. DH had to go for a drs appt in the big city so I stayed home yesterday to be with her. He has another appt Tuesday, so I'll stay home then. I get a lot of grading done! I have to help her with the bathroom during the night, so I'm up 2 or 3 times although she has slept through the night more often.

One nice thing that happened - my principal nominated me for a VFW award "Citizenship Education Teacher" and lo and behold I was chosen as the "Outstanding Citizenship Educator of the Year for Tennessee grades 9-12" !!! That was a lovely surprise and it really sent a lot of sunshine into what has been the roughest year I"ve ever had teaching (25 of them now). I got 3 weeks notice last summer I was moving rooms and changing teaching preps from US to World (they're 9th graders) so I started out scrambling and these kids are the most immature, clueless bunch I've ever had. I hear next year's are worse. Oh boy. :ph34r:

So I come home and try to take care of everyone, do some school work and then collapse. My diversion has been to play "Margaritaville Online" and it's been wonderful therapy, along with reading a couple of books on Kindle: "I'm Gonna Live My Life Like a Jimmy Buffett Song!". He's written 2 books and they're just great fun. If I can't have 3 weeks in Tahiti, these are the next best thing. Well that and wandering back over here to Mrs S!!

I can hang in there 3 more weeks - I think. Seriously I don't know how Mom will do - she has another doctor's appt in June, at which time bloodwork will be done. If she isn't eating better, her doctor and I will take a hard look at a "failure to thrive' diagnosis and consider hospice. While I don't want to think of her passing, I understand the odds are against her (especially if she won't eat more and she has never eaten much) but hospice, if appropriate, would give me a little more help and I need that.

And I'm coping with a mystery malady - my left leg tingles (like it's almost asleep) and there is some knee weakness. Preliminary diagnosis is pinched nerve/sciatica (there is no pain) so my dr put me on anti-inflammatory meds and I'm going to my chiropracter Monday. I'll see what he says and go from there.

Sigh. To quote the immortal Roseanne Roseannadanna: "It's always something!"

B)

Thanks again for your prayers and y'all have been in mine, too!!!
Posted Image

#55 arby

arby

Family Member

• Users2
  • 5,480 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Knitting better and better, canning, dehydrating, trying to find the best deal I can in a difficult situation. Looking up recipes and gathering them. Writing. Gardening when I can do so. Cooking. Love the outdoors.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

You have been a champion through all of this. Kudos and yes its about time you were recognized for your great teaching!
Blessings to you and your Mom and your DH in this time!
The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.
John 1:5

#56 CrabGrassAcres

CrabGrassAcres

Munchie Mama

• Users2
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

Good to hear from you. Congrats on the award! Couldn't happen to a more deserving person!

Hope your mom does better and you get some rest. Been thru it with my own mom. Don't know how much longer till daughter needs total care either. Early Alzheimer's rearing its ugly head. Don't know if I can do it but will cross that bridge when I come to it. Hold on, better days ahead, hopefully.
"Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed." Ps 57:1

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise,making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. " Eph 5:15,16

"Do not be afraid because of the words that you have heard" 2 Kings 19:6
Posted Image

Have you hugged your goose today?

#57 The MacKinnon

The MacKinnon
  • Users2
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thanks Arby and Trish - just had a scare (like I said - this is hour to hour). She's feeling nauseous and I went in about 30 minutes ago and thought she was dead. She wasn't, but she's having a crying jag and wanting to get up and not sleep the rest of her life and maybe it would be better to die.

This is so hard...

Trish - prayers up from me for you and your DD. Like I said - this is all so hard...

:(
Posted Image

#58 snapshotmiki

snapshotmiki

Farm Wife

• Users2
  • 2,389 posts
  • Interests:Photography, canning, schnauzers, sewing

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

I just got caught up here. Congratulations on your award!!!!!! I'm sure you work really hard with those kids!!! Hang in there with your mom! You'll know you have done all you can possibly do! That is always a comfort to me.
John 14:27 ...Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Job 13:15 Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him...

Where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?!

Miki

Posted Image

#59 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

Good to hear from you. Congrats on your award!!! That is awesome.

Sorry you are having such a trying time with your dear mother. It must be scary and rewarding all at the same time. :hug3:

Funny you mentioned Jimmy Buffet. My son and I were just singing one of his songs today. "I wish I had a pencil thin moustache...the Boston Blackie kind"

You can't always get what you want, babe

But if you try sometimes, you just might find

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#60 The MacKinnon

The MacKinnon
  • Users2
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

Good to hear from you. Congrats on your award!!! That is awesome.

Sorry you are having such a trying time with your dear mother. It must be scary and rewarding all at the same time. :hug3:

Funny you mentioned Jimmy Buffet. My son and I were just singing one of his songs today. "I wish I had a pencil thin moustache...the Boston Blackie kind"

I love that song - "I could be as suave as Errol Flynn...if I only had a pencil thin mustache..."

Right now I'd rather be wasting away in Margaritaville. I did become the mayor in the game. I get cheered and applauded everytime I go to a certain area in the game. I need that. Sigh. :happy0203:
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users