Problems with Doomsday Preppers

85 replies to this topic

#1 ROBIE

ROBIE

I am the INFANTRY - follow me!

• Users2
  • 558 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

Our worst fears have come to pass with the National Geographic show of Doomsday Preppers. :behindsofa:

We were all concerned that they would make us out to be kooks/crazies or unfit for regular society.

By now you have heard of the one that got his guns taken away by the state of TN because he just happend to mention the word "suicide" to his Dr. :banghead:

Now the "Athiest in a foxhole" or the cute girl prepper from Texas, just learned the hard way that crazies are what sells TV/cable air time.
Here is a link to an blog where they tell about how she was offerd $1000.00 to shoot her cat! Posted Image
Warning: this is on some "freethinker" type of a blog.

http://freethoughtbl...-megan-hurwitt/

The more I'm finding out about thies shows the worse it gets. The lesson learned is to NEVER go on TV to talk about your preps no matter what!
Even doing your own youtube videos will land you in the crazy crosshairs.

Robie :shakinghead:

#2 Poohbear

Poohbear

The momma bear you've been warned about...

• Users2
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

I didn't agree with alot of the stuff on the show, but I still enjoyed watching it. As I said in another thread, it made me think.
Life is what happens while you're making other plans... John Lennon

Be who you are and say what you feel. Those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter!... Dr. Seuss

#3 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,416 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

Poohbear, I like to watch and read anything about prepping too. I usually get a new idea, think of something I forgot or see a new way of doing things; even though I've yet to identify with any of the preppers I've seen so far. I guess I'm just not that advanced yet.

I think preppers and survivalists are all lumped in the same category. We may be related but not totally the same. While I think defense is important, I'm wired more toward food and clothing prepping. There are hunters and gatherers, I suppose I'm a gatherer but it seems all the prepper shows are about the hunters. Lets face it, a show about me canning tomatoes and buying extra undies and socks wouldn't be a ratings grabber.

Unless I'm canning tomatoes in my undies. :cheeky-smiley-067:

You can't always get what you want, babe

But if you try sometimes, you just might find

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#4 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,586 posts
  • Interests:Crafts, cooking & baking, parenting... Oh, LOTS of stuff!!

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

:24: :24: :24: :24: :24: :24:

cat.jpg

Where words and actions disagree, the heart is revealed.

Look how often the unexpected happens... and we still don't expect it.

#5 themartianchick

themartianchick

Quail Flockmistress

• Users2
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

Only if the undies include a thong and a whole lot of leather...

#6 Christy

Christy

Family Friend

• Users2
  • 1,515 posts
  • Interests:The outdoors, dogs, crafts, anything you can do with yarn, fabric and cloth. History, people and the way people stay the same through out the ages.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

Cheers Martian, tea streaming out of my nose now from laughter. I needed that!
She looked at the wolf with a sweet smile . The wolf asked what was in her basket. `Food for Grandmother`she said..
She then opened her basket and took out a sawn off shotgun.
A few days later she walked through the woods in her new wolfskin furcoat...

Lesson learned, so not mess with girls who are brave enough to go into the woods on their own.

#7 Annarchy

Annarchy

the softer side of chaos

• Users2
  • 5,646 posts
  • Interests:God & Life

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

:008Laughing:

Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

#8 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,774 posts
  • Interests:horses, rural living

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

So....returning to the topic.... ;) ......

Do y'all think that on these shows that are sneering and turning us [prepping cuz we're foreward thinking and independent-minded :curtsey: ] into "morons, psychos, and criminals" will keep more people from prepping ......

Or

....will it draw more attention and, with more viewers, still actually draw more people into prepping. [even if they might declare they will never turn into "those crazies" on the show... :rolleyes: ]

Personally, I'd rather have a sensible message put out in a sensible way.....oh wait, we do that here!!!!! :grouphug:

MtRider [...sure wish there was spell check so my typing would look more 'sensible'! :shakinghead: I had to change 3 words in this post to avoid words I can't spell anymore... :unsure: But y'all know what I'm sayin'...]
Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#9 HazelStone

HazelStone

Still thinking about it...

• Users2
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

Now that could be some hellacious steam burn! :blink: Or one errant splat/splash could be unpleasant...
"Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard; be evil." - Unknown

#10 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,416 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:10 AM

Now that could be some hellacious steam burn! :blink: Or one errant splat/splash could be unpleasant...

Probably not a Violet approved method of canning!

I was watching a Youtube about Victorian times and the woman stored food by using a pigs bladder on top of the jar. My first thought was of Violet. She sure has made an impression on me...in a good way. When it comes to canning I always think...WWVD

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#11 Amishway Homesteaders

Amishway Homesteaders

Living the Homestead Life

• Users2
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

well n ow, THERE'S a reason NOT to hope it comes out in DVD so we can watch it!

Edited by Amishway Homesteaders, 13 February 2012 - 08:28 AM.

= = = = Michael and Lori = = = =THE AMISHWAY HOMESTEADERS
= = = in touch with the past = = =

http://www.freewebs....hway_homestead/
Posted Image

#12 Annarchy

Annarchy

the softer side of chaos

• Users2
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:28 AM

So....returning to the topic.... ;) ......

Do y'all think that on these shows that are sneering and turning us [prepping cuz we're foreward thinking and independent-minded :curtsey: ] into "morons, psychos, and criminals" will keep more people from prepping ......

Or

....will it draw more attention and, with more viewers, still actually draw more people into prepping. [even if they might declare they will never turn into "those crazies" on the show... :rolleyes: ]

Personally, I'd rather have a sensible message put out in a sensible way.....oh wait, we do that here!!!!! :grouphug:

I am with you Mt_Rider. Being sensible is the logical way to approach this problem. The "problem" being, the show is picking out those who are or want to be prepared, in the event of something happening that causes our "normal" way of life to be non-existent.

Yes, I feel in a way, they are sneering at us/them, and I would not doubt if part of it, is due to jealousy/envy. What concerns me is the publicity of those individuals and groups. Now that they have been exposed, people being who they are, will search them out. "Oh, look, they have supplies", "they will help me", or "we will take what they have". In the case of the one who has had his weapons removed, how will he protect himself now? Are the authorities monitoring these programs and looking for ways to sabotage them? (Looking for my tin-foil hat.) But, that thought has occurred to me, especially with the publicity of other incidents, such as farming restriction, selling milk, etc., and other articles posted here.

The show, in my opinion, took the young lady with just a few preps, and pushed her to prove herself, which did not turn out as she expected. I found a big flaw in the way she was dressed to bug out, walking through a large city. In that situation, rioters would not blink an eye to take advantage of her.

In a good way, it may make people think a little more about what they have and how they can improve, which I think the program maybe trying to do. They showed people who have gone to extremes and those who have barely started. They analyzed them and followed up to see if each group had made any recommended changes.

Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

#13 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,416 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:23 AM

I think the people on those shows just want to be on TV. Just my 2 cents though.

I watched 2 of the shows and didn't see where the guy got his guns taken away. I must have missed that episode. Anyone have a link to that? Maybe Youtube? Or was it just a write up?

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#14 Christy

Christy

Family Friend

• Users2
  • 1,515 posts
  • Interests:The outdoors, dogs, crafts, anything you can do with yarn, fabric and cloth. History, people and the way people stay the same through out the ages.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:22 AM

We can't see the show from here, maybe later in the year it'll come to Europe. So I cannot comment on this particular show.
But.. all in all, the picture in the media is about preppers being doom, gloom and weird. I've yet to come across a program or article in the mainstream media that seems to want to warn people instead of making it sensational to sell more.
In short, this sub-culture is being ridiculed and not taken seriously for as far as I can see.
She looked at the wolf with a sweet smile . The wolf asked what was in her basket. `Food for Grandmother`she said..
She then opened her basket and took out a sawn off shotgun.
A few days later she walked through the woods in her new wolfskin furcoat...

Lesson learned, so not mess with girls who are brave enough to go into the woods on their own.

#15 Annarchy

Annarchy

the softer side of chaos

• Users2
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

I think the people on those shows just want to be on TV. Just my 2 cents though.

I watched 2 of the shows and didn't see where the guy got his guns taken away. I must have missed that episode. Anyone have a link to that? Maybe Youtube? Or was it just a write up?

Jeepers, it was just a write up. After he was on the show, he went to his Dr. After that, is when they took his weapons away. And, where was the Dr. ~ Patient confidentiality??!!!! :soapbox:

Nope, they do not take the message seriously, Christy.

We need to keep on doing what we can, when we can, and let the sheeple whine when they find they are SOL. Even if nothing ever happens, our supplies will keep us more frugal, especially when the dollar only stretches so far.

Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

#16 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,416 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Thanks Annarchy, I thought that might be the case. I Googled it and found it. I remember him now.

So...by watching that show I learned two very valuable lessons:

Lesson #1. In real life, keep my mouth shut
Lesson #2. See lesson #1

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#17 coastygirl

coastygirl
  • Users2
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, antiques & collectables, the beach, and cooking.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

Thanks Annarchy, I thought that might be the case. I Googled it and found it. I remember him now.

So...by watching that show I learned two very valuable lessons:

Lesson #1. In real life, keep my mouth shut
Lesson #2. See lesson #1

I think "preppers" come in all flavors. I do not get hung-up or involved with what others are doing. Tv or no tv, it doesn't matter to me. I sift thru all of the info and figure out what is relevant to my situation, and plan accordingly. My mouth is always shut. If someone wants to label me a wacko---so be it. My family would be "shocked" to know who the real "me" is. -----and that's ok.

#18 Vic303

Vic303

Professional Monkeywrangler

• Moderators
  • 2,861 posts
  • Interests:Rhodesian Ridgebacks, bicycles, fishing etc

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

I heard that SArti first mentioned being depressed/suicidal to his doctor, and then got threatening with the doc or someone else. That was what precipitated his being declared unstable.

#19 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,774 posts
  • Interests:horses, rural living

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

......and....this individual was chosen to represent preppers? <_< C'mon, it's not that hard to weed out those with "anger variations beyond the norm".

MtRider
Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#20 sassenach

sassenach
  • Users2
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:06 AM

Was it on last night? I think I caught a bit of it when I was flipping channels. When I did, it was the part on the couple who evidently live in the boonies in the desert and they had a big arsenal and were holding defensive drills?
I was like, well thats nice...... yea, right.
Not everyone would relate at all to that! I really don't think just two very overweight , out of shape people are going to pull that scenario off too well.

The whole place just reminded me of a junkyard. I am sure this episode would only be laughed at. A lot of that stuff has been laying in view too and all it takes is an aerial confirmation.

It doesn't help reasonable people to see this stuff presented this way.

I am sure they just made someones list that will take them out when it comes down to it.

To me the whole thing is about getting through a really rough period, yes if you have to defend , fine, but they are dreamin' and they will not last. But now thats the impression the public , whoever sees this show will have.
The point is to be able to get through a rough period, regroup and rebuild and make sure we have decent , normal people put their nose to the grindstone and get this country back to basics again and really fix whats been wrong too long.

Its about managing to take care of home and family if economics are so severe for you also.

For whatever personal reasons, its not about being a nut at all.

I had to turn the channel. I cannot watch that show and agree with most of it.

oh, they were spray painting target spots to fire at on their home to see if bullets would pierce the metal . Well, don't they know the military and many folks have metal piercing bullets now and ammo that will penetrate and go boom?

Their place was wide open being on the flats there as it was. There is very little cover and its a long way to get help. And they definitely just wrote themselves off. You can bet the FBI and such are all taking notes and will find all these people if they can and they will be 'examples'. I bet they already have been marked on the map because of this. Google earth, yep.

Well, the price of fame?

Is it worth it?

I don't think so!

I don't talk much about it. If someone is interested in food prep and storage and thinks some real basic skills would be good to know , and knowing what to put in a GHB for work or school , I will talk to them, but I don't tell them my inventory list. I will just give them some helpful information and jog their own brains.

If I had guns I wouldn't say anything locally either. Land Lady asked one day. I looked at her and said nope , not anymore. If I have something , its my business. I didn't tell her I have anything else although D next door knows I have one item. LOL, he knows better than to mess with me. If I get the hunting rifle, it is not up for discussion. Its just a hunting rifle and people do hunt around here. That could be necessary.

I didn't mention the other stuff which can be deadly. Its just quieter, lol .
Nobody needs to know. Its legal to own too.

Sure it would be nice to have a lot of money to invest in some serious stuff but thats not my actual reality and honestly I want stuff thats every day useful, too. I need that still.

Yep, prepping is an individual journey. There are many circumstances and some developing that will affect us as the weeks and months and another year goes by. or more years. regionally. even more disasters. The economy and job loss. If we are better prepared overall, it helps us maintain order and stability when things do get out of hand. Much better to just do it quietly and not be so boastful.

I may have enough to get through it, I may not. I am doing what I can. If it helps me get through the worst part and quietly, probably removed from this residence to a safer spot off the roads here, and come back to town and regroup with the sturdy good folks in the community that also make it when it quiets back down I think thats ok for me. Fill some niche.
That could be something as simple as helping garden at the golf course the next spring for a community garden since the pond is right there. There are other things I know I could help with.

Going outside takes its skills and such, different thinking than so many of you may consider, but that is one of my options. hopefully that would be improved in time. But I am not an owner of an arsenal and I am not agile and as strong as I was in my 20's lol. But I also don't want to be a sitting duck if sweeps have started and gangs are running around. For this area, this place is easy to pick off. There are miles and miles of unoccupied woods out there. You go there quietly and you find a snug little spot that you can maintain and build out of sight on. You set up camp and you make it more defensible and safe as you can and you do things in a not obvious way. When its like that. You keep an eye on things locally and if you can get radio reception or news , then you make other decisions probably as time goes on. After initial crisis it could turn out we are relatively safe and can regroup after a time and work on what we need to do to help each other as a community.

Others here may have a bug out location and have to go on a journey and such. It will depend on what you have and what you can do for yourselves if it comes to national crisis. It depends on how much falls apart or fails.

If you can stay at home, thats great and you may have a completely different set up than I do.

You may get away with scavenging some things too, but thats depending on things.

Yep that can happen. But the worst thing is to lay out your plans on a tv show. geez.

I would someday like to be able to tell any grandchildren that may come along if my son and his wife survive in their locale, how it went for me and what happened so maybe they can help not let it happen again.

There is plenty of other stuff I want to do for myself too. I am not going on tv though! There is nothing to see here. move along, move along.

:grinning-smiley-044:

~~~~ Previously known as Arby . :americanflag:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users