Photo

Finally built a chicken tractor!

23 replies to this topic

#1 Nichole

Nichole
  • Users2
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Riding and training horses, kayaking, camping, hiking, shooting guns, Civil War era history and classic novels

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

With this awesome weather I finally got to building a chicken tractor for my chicks! They are getting so big!
chickentractor.jpg

Buff Chickenborder.jpg
~Nichole~

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

Economic control is not merely control of a sector of human life which can be separated from the rest; it is the control of the means for all our ends. And whoever has control of the means must also determine which ends are to be served, which values are to be rated higher and which lower, in short, what men should believe and strive for. - Friedrich von Hayek

If you are looking for cheap or free technology deals or info, check out my DH's new blog KhaleTech. :)

Check out my blog, Nichole's Modern Homestead!

#2 Momo

Momo

Family Member

• Moderators
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

How neat!
Tell Mom the cat did it!

#3 coastygirl

coastygirl
  • Users2
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, antiques & collectables, the beach, and cooking.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

NICE !!!!

#4 snapshotmiki

snapshotmiki

Farm Wife

• Users2
  • 2,390 posts
  • Interests:Photography, canning, schnauzers, sewing

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

That's cool! Great job!!!!! Love your chickies!
John 14:27 ...Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Job 13:15 Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him...

Where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?!

Miki

Posted Image

#5 ma & pa steel

ma & pa steel

Family Friend

• Users2
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

good job soon you will be having fresh eggs
Posted ImagePosted Image

No Congress, no President has been strong enough to stand up to the foreign-controlled Federal Reserve Bank.

Thomas Jefferson was concise in his early warning to the American nation, "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

#6 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,504 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:21 AM

I've been wondering what you have been up to. Nice job!!!
Cute little kissy chickens. :wub:

You can't always get what you want, babe

But if you try sometimes, you just might find

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#7 windmorn

windmorn
  • Users2
  • 721 posts
  • Interests:Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4H, gardening, cooking, nutrition, natural healing

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

Very cool!
Posted Image

#8 Annarchy

Annarchy

the softer side of chaos

• Users2
  • 5,666 posts
  • Interests:God & Life

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

Very nice.

Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

#9 themartianchick

themartianchick

Quail Flockmistress

• Users2
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Ohhh... I'm so jealous! I can't wait until I can hold something little and fuzzy that wasn't scraped out of the refrigerator!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

#10 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,845 posts
  • Interests:horses, rural living

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

MartianChick..... :P .... that 'fuzzy from fridge' remark !! We ought to have a smilie for fluids from taking a drink spewing suddenly. :008Laughing:

'Course I really HAVEN'T the faintest idea what you mean by fuzzy things in fridges. :whistling:

......{dang....MtRider is currently so brain-dead, now she can't remember what comment she was really going to post on this topic. :wacko: Have to scroll back up.... Oh yeah}

I was gonna comment that perhaps I could create something like a "tractor" for goats. Maybe individual ones [I have half-size goats] that join together to make it stronger?????

I'd really like to be able to graze down parts of this land without the CONSTANT untangling of their leash lines. Something that could be skidded along to the next spot once the first site was grazed.

Hmmmmm............. Yanno, I do have a 20X10' chainlink dog run. UFF DA! I just ran down to check it and it weighs a ton. I could reassemble it down where the grass is but...without being on skids and a tractor/4-wheeler to pull it, I don't know if it's worth the work. Might be tho.

MtRider [...pondering up a Goat Tractor to cut down on hay and tidy up the place! :shrug: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider, 23 March 2012 - 01:51 PM.

Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#11 dogmom4

dogmom4

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 5,520 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, dogs, preparing for whatever comes...

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

Could it be put on wheels Mt. Rider?

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

#12 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,845 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

......WHEELS......hmmmmm, that might be possible. Nasty, uneven ground but....I'll keep that in mind.

MtRider [...thanks! ]
Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#13 Katz25

Katz25
  • Users2
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

......WHEELS......hmmmmm, that might be possible. Nasty, uneven ground but....I'll keep that in mind.

MtRider [...thanks! ]

I have a friend that built one with wheels and he just rolls it when he gets ready to change the place he wants to put it. He found the idea on youtube. I would love to have one.
I would love to have chickens, but live in the country and have lots of wild cats and afraid they would eat them and I don't have a good place for them. I love chickens, good eggs and fun to watch and raise.
Denise
I want to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning,
the devil says, "Oh crap, she's up!"

#14 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,845 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

I have Mt Lions, bears, coyotes [lots and lots of them!], feral dogs, bobcat [the WORST PROBLEM CUZ THEY CLIMB CHAIN LINK to eat my wintering ducks! :frying pan: ], and foxes.

...no feral cats tho :blink: Coyotes got 'em all. :wacko:

****Katz...you could have poultry IF you have a covered run for them. Chain link on four sides AND the top! Like a dog kennel. Check Craig's list or something for used one's. I got mine from a foreclosure situation....had to take down and cart it away myself but it was a decent price.

For protection, my kitty is inside only; dog, goats, ducks are all inside at night. Only the equines stay outside at night.

:darth duck: Right now my dog had been stationed near the winter duck yard so they can come out of the duckhouse for some sunshine. After the BobbyCat stole poor 'Barbie Doll' (duck) last month, they've been inside unless I'm down there.

MtRider [livestock protection in the Wild Wild West.... :baseballbat: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider, 24 March 2012 - 06:32 PM.

Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#15 Katz25

Katz25
  • Users2
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

I have Mt Lions, bears, coyotes [lots and lots of them!], feral dogs, bobcat [the WORST PROBLEM CUZ THEY CLIMB CHAIN LINK to eat my wintering ducks! :frying pan: ], and foxes.

...no feral cats tho :blink: Coyotes got 'em all. :wacko:

****Katz...you could have poultry IF you have a covered run for them. Chain link on four sides AND the top! Like a dog kennel. Check Craig's list or something for used one's. I got mine from a foreclosure situation....had to take down and cart it away myself but it was a decent price.

For protection, my kitty is inside only; dog, goats, ducks are all inside at night. Only the equines stay outside at night.

:darth duck: Right now my dog had been stationed near the winter duck yard so they can come out of the duckhouse for some sunshine. After the BobbyCat stole poor 'Barbie Doll' (duck) last month, they've been inside unless I'm down there.

MtRider [livestock protection rin the Wild Wild West.... :baseballbat: ]

That's so funny...look at all your battling and I'm worried about cats!! LOL!!!!!! I will find a way to get them, that's my plan, just need a place. Actually I have a place that use to have chickens in there, but needs lots of work..shoot I better get busy! Your my here MtRider-- you've kicked my butt into gear!!
Denise
I want to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning,
the devil says, "Oh crap, she's up!"

#16 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,845 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:51 AM

Good for you, Katz! Never know when your family might need those "ladies"!!!!!

But build it tight and strong. You might have raccoons too and they are vicious and clever. Good luck!

MtRider :thumbs:
Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#17 dogmom4

dogmom4

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 5,520 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, dogs, preparing for whatever comes...

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:36 AM

This link is to backyard chickens. The page has a whole slew of pictures of chicken tractors.
http://www.backyardc...en-coop-designs

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

#18 Nichole

Nichole
  • Users2
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Riding and training horses, kayaking, camping, hiking, shooting guns, Civil War era history and classic novels

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

I've been wondering what you have been up to. Nice job!!!
Cute little kissy chickens. :wub:

Thanks guys :) I have been kinda MIA lately. The weather was soo insanely nice, I've been working outside more. Between starting my seeds, the 12 MORE chicks I got (yeah I'm addicted), and keeping up with random farm stuff, prepping kinda got left on the back burner. But I suppose it's all related to prepping, since it's the upkeep of the farm.

Oh yeah, DH and I got two puppies so they have kept me busy! They're turning into good little farm dogs!
~Nichole~

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

Economic control is not merely control of a sector of human life which can be separated from the rest; it is the control of the means for all our ends. And whoever has control of the means must also determine which ends are to be served, which values are to be rated higher and which lower, in short, what men should believe and strive for. - Friedrich von Hayek

If you are looking for cheap or free technology deals or info, check out my DH's new blog KhaleTech. :)

#19 Nichole

Nichole
  • Users2
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

MartianChick..... :P .... that 'fuzzy from fridge' remark !! We ought to have a smilie for fluids from taking a drink spewing suddenly. :008Laughing:

'Course I really HAVEN'T the faintest idea what you mean by fuzzy things in fridges. :whistling:

......{dang....MtRider is currently so brain-dead, now she can't remember what comment she was really going to post on this topic. :wacko: Have to scroll back up.... Oh yeah}

I was gonna comment that perhaps I could create something like a "tractor" for goats. Maybe individual ones [I have half-size goats] that join together to make it stronger?????

I'd really like to be able to graze down parts of this land without the CONSTANT untangling of their leash lines. Something that could be skidded along to the next spot once the first site was grazed.

Hmmmmm............. Yanno, I do have a 20X10' chainlink dog run. UFF DA! I just ran down to check it and it weighs a ton. I could reassemble it down where the grass is but...without being on skids and a tractor/4-wheeler to pull it, I don't know if it's worth the work. Might be tho.

MtRider [...pondering up a Goat Tractor to cut down on hay and tidy up the place! :shrug: ]

That is a really good idea! I'd put wheels on all four corners (maybe even some in the middle since it's long?) and see how that works. I'm gonna keep that in mind for when I get goats again!
~Nichole~

#20 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,504 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

Glad to see ya post. I was thinking about you the other day but I figured you were just busy farming. I'll bet your chicks and pups are starting to get big now. You'll have a ball with them this summer.

You can't always get what you want, babe

But if you try sometimes, you just might find

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users