Finally built a chicken tractor!

23 replies to this topic

#21 Amishway Homesteaders

Amishway Homesteaders

Living the Homestead Life

• Users2
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

OK folks, THAT why they call them Chicken Tractors - They have wheels on one end and handles on the other so you can just lift one end a bit and wheel it along as the chicken get done eatting (and adding compost to the last place :sHa_sarcasticlol: ).
:AmishMichaelstraw:
= = = = Michael and Lori = = = =THE AMISHWAY HOMESTEADERS
= = = in touch with the past = = =

http://www.freewebs....hway_homestead/
Posted Image

#22 Amishway Homesteaders

Amishway Homesteaders

Living the Homestead Life

• Users2
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

I was gonna comment that perhaps I could create something like a "tractor" for goats. Maybe individual ones [I have half-size goats] that join together to make it stronger?????

OH I can see it now.............................
Your goats will take about a day to figure out IF they all push on one side they can move that "Goat Tracker" anywhere they want!
YOU may want the grass mowed down but they see that nice pile of hay off in the far corner and well.................................. :sHa_sarcasticlol:
:AmishMichaelstraw:

= = = = Michael and Lori = = = =THE AMISHWAY HOMESTEADERS
= = = in touch with the past = = =

http://www.freewebs....hway_homestead/
Posted Image

#23 Nichole

Nichole
  • Users2
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:Riding and training horses, kayaking, camping, hiking, shooting guns, Civil War era history and classic novels

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Jeepers - Yeah they're getting big! I'll have to post pics of the chickens and pups :)

I've been wondering this lately and thought maybe you guys would have an opinion. Part of the benefit of a chicken tractor is supposed to be the manure the chickens drop on the ground right? Well, I was thinking, if chicken manure is a hot manure that needs to be composted, wouldn't this harm the grass too? I move the tractor everyday, but still with 24 chickens in it, there's a lot of poop!
~Nichole~

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

Economic control is not merely control of a sector of human life which can be separated from the rest; it is the control of the means for all our ends. And whoever has control of the means must also determine which ends are to be served, which values are to be rated higher and which lower, in short, what men should believe and strive for. - Friedrich von Hayek

If you are looking for cheap or free technology deals or info, check out my DH's new blog KhaleTech. :)

Check out my blog, Nichole's Modern Homestead!

#24 dogmom4

dogmom4

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 5,502 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, dogs, preparing for whatever comes...

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Jeepers - Yeah they're getting big! I'll have to post pics of the chickens and pups :)

I've been wondering this lately and thought maybe you guys would have an opinion. Part of the benefit of a chicken tractor is supposed to be the manure the chickens drop on the ground right? Well, I was thinking, if chicken manure is a hot manure that needs to be composted, wouldn't this harm the grass too? I move the tractor everyday, but still with 24 chickens in it, there's a lot of poop!

Bumping up because I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users